Ratings

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Ratings

Post by Hoover Attack »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:57 am Would also like so say I don’t remember enjoying watching an orient team more in terms of football. I watched the stream, which usually makes this standard of football seem even worse than in person but the way we keep the ball, press, are calm and composed - you always feel like the players will make the right choice or pass most of the time. Richie has created a great product on the pitch. I might even consider turning up myself at some point
Agreed. I'm not sure but I think it might be that he's an ok manager.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:42 am
cockhat wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:47 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:31 pm

I don’t want to hammer the kid but I genuinely didn’t see him touch the ball until the 42nd minute. I actually looked at the clock to check as I registered it was hos first touch. The game just passed him by.
That’s what you’re doing hammering him.
It’s probably his first game in ‘proper’ football and if he reads this board that will really give him confidence!
I'm really not though. I've been as delicate as I can on the subject.

I too believe it is his first game in proper football and it showed. I'd like to see more of Adjei2, I'll be amazed if Edwards starts for us again any time soon.
I agree Adjei looked more impressive.
I think Edwards will be the last 20/25 minutes as a sub. However be fair to the lad he’s probably a better option than Pigott.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

The Reverend wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:13 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:31 pm

I don’t want to hammer the kid but I genuinely didn’t see him touch the ball until the 42nd minute. I actually looked at the clock to check as I registered it was hos first touch. The game just passed him by.
It’s probably his first game in ‘proper’ football and if he reads this board that will really give him confidence!
You think professional football players read fan message boards? And even if they do, you think they pay any attention to what people say on them?

Yes and yes!
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

cockhat wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:02 am
The Reverend wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:13 am

You think professional football players read fan message boards? And even if they do, you think they pay any attention to what people say on them?

Yes and yes!
I’m not so sure about that. But if he is reading, Edwards should know that I thought he did fine. Nothing spectacular but not awful either. Hopefully with more game time he’ll grow and improve with each appearance.
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

Don’t say this lightly but for me O’Neill last night was a 10. Absolutely outstanding performance, the best on field performance from an Os player since a couple of Smyth cameos last year.

Ran them absolutely ragged all night and capped it off with a goal and I’m giving him 2 assists.

I thought Edwards looked raw but had a lot of pace to burn and overall did quite well. 4 way too low, more a 6.

Some night in E10..
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

How many times did Edwards touch the ball first half? I counted 1.

You can’t give that a 6.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I thought it must just be me, so seeing as the game is up to watch back, I thought I'd go back and check.

6:50 receives pass from Moncur under pressure, retains ball and lays it back to Brown.
7:50 receives pass from ONeill on touchline under pressure, dribbles ball out of play.
9:05 wins an aerial challenge but (correctly) adjudged to have handled the ball.
9:40 wins an aerial challenge, ball breaks loose for Moncur to contest ball.

There then follows a 10 minute spell of Orient possession without a touch.

21:00 no touch but falls asleep defending a free kick and allows opponent to run off of him and cross into six yard box.

Another long spell of Orient possession, but not as dominant as before, again without a single touch.

29:00 aerial challenge for a hooked Moncur clearance, loses ball at second attempt.
30:10 mis controls a Brynn clearance just short of the halfway line, loses possession.
31:00 challenges for a pass from Forde, loses it, but play stopped for foul on Shaq.
33:30 receives short pass from TJ on edge of penalty box. Gives ball straight back to TJ. We do win a corner from which the first goal comes.
35:30 collects loose ball just inside own half and passes to Brown to launch attack. First nice bit of play.
41:50 collects loose ball in their half, retains possession passing back to El Miz.
44:00 mis controls a throw in down our right, loses possession.
45:00 loses header deep in our half from a throw in, leads to their equaliser.

I'll do the second half later.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

11 touches in the first 45, 4 successfully completed passes, 2 headers won.

Since Statzone said Forde only had 39 touches over 89 minutes, while no-one said he pulled up any trees, this doesn't seem as pisspoor as you're making out.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:19 am I thought it must just be me, so seeing as the game is up to watch back, I thought I'd go back and check.

6:50 receives pass from Moncur under pressure, retains ball and lays it back to Brown.
7:50 receives pass from ONeill on touchline under pressure, dribbles ball out of play.
9:05 wins an aerial challenge but (correctly) adjudged to have handled the ball.
9:40 wins an aerial challenge, ball breaks loose for Moncur to contest ball.

There then follows a 10 minute spell of Orient possession without a touch.

21:00 no touch but falls asleep defending a free kick and allows opponent to run off of him and cross into six yard box.

Another long spell of Orient possession, but not as dominant as before, again without a single touch.

29:00 aerial challenge for a hooked Moncur clearance, loses ball at second attempt.
30:10 mis controls a Brynn clearance just short of the halfway line, loses possession.
31:00 challenges for a pass from Forde, loses it, but play stopped for foul on Shaq.
33:30 receives short pass from TJ on edge of penalty box. Gives ball straight back to TJ. We do win a corner from which the first goal comes.
35:30 collects loose ball just inside own half and passes to Brown to launch attack. First nice bit of play.
41:50 collects loose ball in their half, retains possession passing back to El Miz.
44:00 mis controls a throw in down our right, loses possession.
45:00 loses header deep in our half from a throw in, leads to their equaliser.

I'll do the second half later.
Nah, you’re good, don’t bother.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I don't disagree. (And from recollection, he was more active 2nd half before being subbed).

I missed the first 10 mins when he was active.

From 10 - 30, when we had most of the ball, he was non-existent. It must be that he was under instruction to hold his position and not come looking for the ball.

From 30 - 45, when we weren't as dominant (although did score), he's active again.

He's got a seriously steep learning curve, and we've got a massive amount of work to do to get him up to speed, but worth persevering with.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Regardless of how many touches he had or how many marks he should or shouldn't have had let's just remember it was the young lads first appearance with new team mates..
And on occasions games do just pass you by..
Last edited by Chief crazy horse on Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:49 am However how many touches he had or how many marks he should or shouldn't have had let's just remember it was the young lads first appearance with new team mates..
And on occasions games do just pass you by..
His primary job , I would imagine , was to run across the line closing down their out ball. He did that as well as Drinan ever did and miles better than Piggot does. Anything more from him in his first game was a bonus.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Nah, not in a home game where you dominate possession, that's not a strikers primary function.

(Although I agree, his work rate on that front was fine).
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:58 am Nah, not in a home game where you dominate possession, that's not a strikers primary function.

I agree that in normal circumstances that is not a strikers role , but , it was his first senior game. He clearly has masses of improvement in him. We had to play him because we were light upfront and my view is that Wellens instructions to him would have been to close down the ball firstly. The attacking skills , if he has them , will come with more games. He did a job for us
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:58 am Nah, not in a home game where you dominate possession, that's not a strikers primary function.

I agree that in normal circumstances that is not a strikers role , but , it was his first senior game. He clearly has masses of improvement in him. We had to play him because we were light upfront and my view is that Wellens instructions to him would have been to close down the ball firstly. The attacking skills , if he has them , will come with more games. He did a job for us
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

You can’t judge a player after 1 appearance….