Moncur

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

georgeleyo
Fresh Alias

Moncur

Post by georgeleyo »

I listened to an interview by Moncur a few weeks ago, when he said that the coaching team were trying to change the way he played.
I thought at the time why change the style that has been successful for him for a good few years, didn’t make sense.
The way he started yesterday it looked like somebody had seen sense and he seemed much more comfortable in fact, more like the man that joined us 18 months ago a great pity he had to go off as I would like to have seen more.
It’s not the first time this has happened and unfortunately probably won’t be the last.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Moncur

Post by The Reverend »

Given the fact that we spent a load of money on him, he’s probably on one of the highest salaries at the club and is one of the most experienced players in the squad it’s a sad state of affairs that the current benchmark for him is “having an alright first half…for the first time all season”.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Coming off early arguably skewed impressions in his favour as it's fitness that's the problem for him. Usually fades badly in the second half. Ability never in doubt.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

They're obviously trying to force him out. Its a shame
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

His performances are forcing him out.

Problem is there won’t be any takers.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

gshaw wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:20 pm Coming off early arguably skewed impressions in his favour as it's fitness that's the problem for him. Usually fades badly in the second half. Ability never in doubt.
Ability on the ball never in doubt.

Absolute passenger when out of possession.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Looked decent yday but need to see more. Would like to see him get a good run of games cos why not? Other players aren’t creating chances.

He made a couple of really good runs in the box too but wasn’t found
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Looked decent?

Looked acceptable. Didn’t look anywhere near to being our most senior, highest paid player who should be taking games by the scruff of the neck and dominating them, not just flitting in and out.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

He tends to pass backwards most of the time, sometimes sideways but rarely forward
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

DuvB wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:13 pm He tends to pass backwards most of the time, sometimes sideways but rarely forward
Maybe it is psychological. He should try training blindfolded half of the session, he will be coached into
Adding in various directions and McMahon could ring a bell when it is actually forward.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

He was absolutely blowing after about 15 minutes
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

He’s had plenty of time and opportunity to show us what he can do. He’s failed big time. I’m not saying he hasn’t got some talent but he hasn’t produced a good performance for ages. He can go asap.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

George has a great first touch, and is obviously very skilful, however does he actually do anything to hurt the opposition ??
Not really , IMHO
Lots of short square or back passes where we retain possession but little else.
I think we all want to like George and want him to do well, but he’s a luxury that we simply can’t afford especially when we come up against teams like Derby and Oxford where we need all 11 giving 100%.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:20 pm Looked decent?

Looked acceptable. Didn’t look anywhere near to being our most senior, highest paid player who should be taking games by the scruff of the neck and dominating them, not just flitting in and out.
Well, not Drinan good, I accept that. But bright and gave us a slightly new dimension
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

But weird.

Drinnan is obviously a far inferior player ability wise. That’s why he’s earning a fraction of why George earns.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Cheshunto wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:10 pm George has a great first touch, and is obviously very skilful, however does he actually do anything to hurt the opposition ??
Not really , IMHO
I think we all want to like George and want him to do well, but he’s a luxury that we simply can’t afford especially when we come up against teams like Derby and Oxford where we need all 11 giving 100%.
Yes, I like George too and like you say, 'does he do anything in hurting the opposition?' Not really. But neither do our other midfielders when I think of it.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:53 pm
Cheshunto wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:10 pm George has a great first touch, and is obviously very skilful, however does he actually do anything to hurt the opposition ??
Not really , IMHO
Yes, I like George too and like you say, 'does he do anything in hurting the opposition?' Not really. But neither do our other midfielders when I think of it.
When I think back one of our better midfielders who could pass and create chances for the strikers was Lloyd James.
He could pass a ball through the eye of a needle. Obviously those quality players aren’t easy to find but it’s one of the positions we need IMHO
George is the master of a 5 yard pass which is usually backwards or square at best.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Not really , IMHO
But at least they can do something when the opposition have the ball.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Cheshunto wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:35 am
Not really , IMHO
When I think back one of our better midfielders who could pass and create chances for the strikers was Lloyd James.
He could pass a ball through the eye of a needle. Obviously those quality players aren’t easy to find but it’s one of the positions we need IMHO
George is the master of a 5 yard pass which is usually backwards or square at best.
Most people on here couldn’t see what James brought but I agree.

However, it’s very simplistic to say George only passes 5 yards sideways or backwards and that’s all he brings. He definitely needs to be more positive. But when he has the ball he attracts defenders and midfielders, making spaces behind him and moving them out of formations. He isn’t at his best, that’s not in doubt but when he is he sits in that hole behind midfield and can cause chaos, even if he is passing backwards. Need more from him though
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:32 am

However, it’s very simplistic to say George only passes 5 yards sideways or backwards and that’s all he brings. He definitely needs to be more positive. But when he has the ball he attracts defenders and midfielders, making spaces behind him and moving them out of formations. He isn’t at his best, that’s not in doubt but when he is he sits in that hole behind midfield and can cause chaos, even if he is passing backwards. Need more from him though
Agreed with all of that.

The problem is he is totally ineffective when out of possession.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Not really , IMHO
Being fair to Moncur we could say that about 85% of the entire squad at the moment.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:32 am
Cheshunto wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:35 am

Can you please give examples of when he's "caused chaos" because, for the life of me, I can't recall witnessing that phenomenon.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Marbs, July 2022.