Joey Barton

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Joey Barton

Post by Daily Express bot »

‘Joey Barton compares female football commentators to men talking about knitting’ (Todays Torygraph)

Does anyone get put off about female pundits that much they avoid MOTD and other programs?

I get irritated by the pitch of some female voices as they affect my hearing aid on one side. Then again, I get more bothered by some male dialects.

Odd analogy really as knitting has become quite popular in some masculine circles and groups.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Joey Barton

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Jesus. Too obvious
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

TV tries too hard to be equal in every regard. They get it right with "people of colour" (is that the correct woke term?) and also with those individuals with disabilities in front of the screen. There is nothing wrong with women presenting, commentating or being the expert but they are trying so hard in this respect that it invites on people that are not knowledgeable enough in the sport. Taking football as the case in point, many of the men involved in punditry either have top level international experience or they have very high level coaching qualifications or experience. The Chelsea coach, Emma Hayes (?) is top drawer for example. Been there, done it, got the badge to prove it. For those that say how are the women going to achieve this, it has to be remembered that watching football on TV is largely a product that people pay for and its main source of income is from the adult male population. I think TV falls short in its presentation by allowing under-qualified people loose in punditry (with possibly the worst pundit of all being Carlton Cole!)
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

I bit :lol:
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Little mate there with a post breaking new ground in which by the end of each sentence he’s changed his point, and sometimes changed it back again
ChelmerO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChelmerO »

Here we go, same old song. I have absolutely no problem with Women Football Pundits. Some Pundits are more knowledgeable and articulate than others, irrespective of gender !
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Joey Barton in “being a nob” shocker.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Kind of sad really. Obviously realised that he won't get another manager gig - or at least not from a club he doesn't consider beneath him - so he's decided to lean even further in to the anti-woke/alt-right bollocks. Will be on GB News or Talk TV before you know it.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Everyone has to earn a living.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

I guess he’s abandoned the whole renaissance man schtick. Remember that Guardian puff-piece?
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

There are two sides to this. Saying that female pundits can’t be as good as men because they haven’t played the game is clearly nonsense. There are plenty of male commentators who have never kicked a ball anger. The second point, is the proliferation of women now involved in the men’s game just another box ticking exercise. Absolutely. What’s wrong with working class men having their own safe space. Everyone else seems to demand it.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I have trouble with higher pitched (normally female) commentators, especially when the pitch goes up a notch or two due to excitement, but this is due to my hearing problems. I'd love for a few male, gravely voiced commentators again, but there don't seem to be any around.
Last edited by EliotNes on Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

CEB wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:43 am I guess he’s abandoned the whole renaissance man schtick. Remember that Guardian puff-piece?
And Question Time.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Some female pundits are not bad, but there are some right dodgy ones too. A few weeks back I was laid up and not feeling too well and I was watching the scores come through on sky sports. There was a new female presenter standing in, I think.
She started to relay the scores as they came in : "Swansea are 2 up at Hull" ..Swansea were at home. This error she repeated several times with other games. Then came, "Bolton have 6 up" (instead of are). Another, "Leicester 1-0 up on Jamie Vardy". It was painful...
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Any Men on BBC women's football Live games ?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Sounds like she's rubbish because she's rubbish though, not because she's a woman. Standards of accuracy in football reporting have fallen off a cliff, no-one on the BBC site or local news websites can write for sh*t. Last week, the person doing the EFL live coverage on the BBC (a man) wrote that Stoke had "pulled one back at QPR" to make the score...1-1.

And as for SKY Sports coverage, Orient's nemesis Chris Kamara built an entire schtick on getting stuff wrong, if a woman hadn't noticed Portsmouth had had a man sent off she'd have been absolutely f*cking crucified, rather than it being a viral hit for An Absolute Ledge!
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

This is one of those things that I just cannot bring myself to give a f*ck about. I don't pay any attention to pundits or commentators anyway.

The hyper-representation/tokenism prevalent from advertising to TV panel shows is a combination of good intentions and organisations notching up those ESG scores on their audits to swerve a possible credit rating downgrade. It's easy to be cynical about it, especially when it can be handled in such a ham-fisted way, but in what way is hurting anyone? For every rubbish female pundit you could easily name a rubbish male equivalent.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Have to say Vicky Sparks gets on my nerves. Something about her voice and the intonation that sounds really insincere but again, as you say, could absolutely level the same accusations at several male commentators (although tbf not the most high profile ones).
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Stowaway wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:23 am Joey Barton in “being a nob” shocker.
Spoke to a restaurant owner in Newquay whilst I was down there this summer.
He said he'd had the unfortunate honour of serving Barton and his scally mates a while back.

He described them thus:

Animals. Total and utter pigs.

Read into that what you will (!)
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:36 am Sounds like she's rubbish because she's rubbish though, not because she's a woman. Standards of accuracy in football reporting have fallen off a cliff, no-one on the BBC site or local news websites can write for sh*t. Last week, the person doing the EFL live coverage on the BBC (a man) wrote that Stoke had "pulled one back at QPR" to make the score...1-1.

And as for SKY Sports coverage, Orient's nemesis Chris Kamara built an entire schtick on getting stuff wrong, if a woman hadn't noticed Portsmouth had had a man sent off she'd have been absolutely f*cking crucified, rather than it being a viral hit for An Absolute Ledge!
Goes without saying that men commentators make mistakes as well, but the "pulled one back to 1-1" example does not compare with the rudimentary mistakes I gave in the above - and the amount.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

None can be worse than Dion Dublin or Robbie Savage.
The latter went completely raving bonkers during the Europa Conference final.
One of the best pundits is Lucy Ward, her comments are timely and informative.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

..can't see much wrong in Dion Dublin.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Scuba Diver wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:34 pm
Stowaway wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:23 am Joey Barton in “being a nob” shocker.
Spoke to a restaurant owner in Newquay whilst I was down there this summer.
He said he'd had the unfortunate honour of serving Barton and his scally mates a while back.

He described them thus:

Animals. Total and utter pigs.

Read into that what you will (!)
Yes, bet truth be known, he had selfies with them , ingratiated himself with them ‘no problem whatsoever Mr Barton, so pleased to have you as our guest Mr Barton , a pleasure Me Barton , I insist you have a drink on the house Mr Barton’. Heard it and seen it all before
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

It strikes me that the reason we get sh*t male pundits are because there’s an old boys network all looking out for each other and not giving a toss about quality, while the reason we get sh*t female pundits is because the same people who make decisions about hiring the men are barely interested in who they hire, just in making sure they are seen to do the right thing. In both instances, actually getting good pundits is a matter of luck rather than design