Ratings

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Ratings

Post by Beradogs »

Brynn. 6. Gave away a penalty in the first minute. No chance with the goal. Nothing to do in the second half especially.
Happe. 7.MOM. Good solid game.
Cooper. 4. Has been find of the season but not today, he was awful. Gave away a silly free kick for their goal, gave away at least two other good opportunities. Looked like a different player.
Turns. 6. Didn’t do much wrong. The defence had it easy in the second half as Wigan looked a different side than the first 45 minutes.
James. 6. Steady if unspectacular.
Archibald. 7. Strange in that he had a great first half when Wigan dominated but a quiet second half when we had most of the ball. Did we change shape? As he seemed to drop deeper and deeper.
Brown. 6.5. We play better when he is the side.
El Miz. 6. Don’t want to be too harsh as he is still one of our better players but he’s definitely finding it tougher in league one. Not sure if it’s the fact he gets less time on the ball or we are under more pressure generally as a team. Probably a bit of both.
Ruel. 6. His pass set up the goal but didn’t do a whole lot else. I would like to see moncor have another chance and Ruel given a rest. Unlikely as RW loves him and to be fair, we need someone to score the goals.
Pigott. 5. Don’t really see the point of him. Doesn’t win nearly enough headers or tackles for the position he plays. Never looks like scoring.
Forde. 6.5. Good goal but then fluffed his chance to get a second.

Subs. Hunt. 5. Bottled a 50/50 with the keeper that could have resulted in a chance. Never thought he was that kind of player. Others 6

Wellens. 6. Average mark for an average performance. We looked like the only team that was going to win it second half without creating anything too threatening.

Wigan. 6. A day of sixes. They played some lovely stuff the first 45 minutes then completely went into their shell.

Ref. 6. Of course. Actually he gets a 4 as all he did was book our players and none of there’s.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Ratings

Post by Proposition Joe »

Fair.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

5 yellows against Wigans 1.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:42 pm 5 yellows against Wigans 1.
No red shirt no booking!
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Beradogs wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:26 pm Ruel. 6. His pass set up the goal but didn’t do a whole lot else. I would like to see moncor have another chance and Ruel given a rest. Unlikely as RW loves him and to be fair, we need someone to score the goals.
Pigott. 5. Don’t really see the point of him. Doesn’t win nearly enough headers or tackles for the position he plays. Never looks like scoring.
Agyei the more likely to be coming for Sotiriou's spot once fit, can't see them giving up on Pigott just yet.

We need someone with a bit of aerial presence to put away the whipped deliveries into the box.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

By far the most entertaining match so far this season.

Enjoyed the way Wigan played. They flooded the box with attacking players which caused chaos - especially in the first half. Exciting to watch.

I thought their number 20 was very good. I looked him up and turns out he won the FA cup with them back in 2013. Proper nasty b*stard as well. He was absolutely hammering Turns with the verbals.

Agree that if anyone was going to win that game in the second half it was us. But alas, that’s never going to happen when your trump cards are Drinan and a bloke making his debut after being injured for 6 months.

Ref gets an extra point for being a weedy looking nerd. Don’t get many of them these days. Bring back flimsy school teacher refs please.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Far better all round, only 1 win in 8 now which must be a concern.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

The Reverend wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:52 pm By far the most entertaining match so far this season.

Enjoyed the way Wigan played. They flooded the box with attacking players which caused chaos - especially in the first half. Exciting to watch.

I thought their number 20 was very good. I looked him up and turns out he won the FA cup with them back in 2013. Proper nasty b*stard as well. He was absolutely hammering Turns with the verbals.

Agree that if anyone was going to win that game in the second half it was us. But alas, that’s never going to happen when your trump cards are Drinan and a bloke making his debut after being injured for 6 months.

Ref gets an extra point for being a weedy looking nerd. Don’t get many of them these days. Bring back flimsy school teacher refs please.
Made me wonder about the refereeing standards when Forde was flagged offside in the first half , the ref was adamant that the free kick was taken a yard in side our half , even I know you cannot be offside in your own half ☹️
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

BIGRON wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:11 pm
The Reverend wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:52 pm By far the most entertaining match so far this season.

Made me wonder about the refereeing standards when Forde was flagged offside in the first half , the ref was adamant that the free kick was taken a yard in side our half , even I know you cannot be offside in your own half ☹️
You are perfectly correct that you cannot be offside in your own half, but following a change of rules the free kick is now taken where you receive the ball, and not where you were when the pass was made. As a consequence this can sometimes be in your own half. Referees may be incompetent, but they do know the rules.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:21 pm

You are perfectly correct that you cannot be offside in your own half, but following a change of rules the free kick is now taken where you receive the ball, and not where you were when the pass was made. As a consequence this can sometimes be in your own half. Referees may be incompetent, but they do know the rules.
If you receive the ball in your own half (as you said) , How is that offside ? Has that been changed as well ?
Wallingford O
Fresh Alias

Post by Wallingford O »

Joe315 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 pm

If you receive the ball in your own half (as you said) , How is that offside ? Has that been changed as well ?
No, Forde was running back from an offside position to receive the ball. When the pass was made he was in an offside position in the Wigan half, not that hard to understand
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

The offside decision is still based upon where you were when the pass was made, the same as it has always been. It's just where the free kick is taken from that has changed. Why they tinker with rules for the sake of it I have no idea.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

gshaw wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:52 pm
Beradogs wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:26 pm Ruel. 6. His pass set up the goal but didn’t do a whole lot else. I would like to see moncor have another chance and Ruel given a rest. Unlikely as RW loves him and to be fair, we need someone to score the goals.
Agyei the more likely to be coming for Sotiriou's spot once fit, can't see them giving up on Pigott just yet.

We need someone with a bit of aerial presence to put away the whipped deliveries into the box.
Well Pigott isn't that player . One lovely cross from Archibald in the first half which Pigott headed straight at their keeper . Either side and he would've scored .
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

That cross was floated in. No way was pig going to score from that. It needed to be whipped in with pace.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Ffs.

I had no idea. Why do they keep tinkering with stuff like this? What’s the improvement?
y o y o y
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by y o y o y »

Enjoyed the game

Mostly agree with Beradogs ratings although I thought Pigott did win his share of flick-ons and worth more than 5
Good games from Happe , Archibald, Brown and Forde
Cooper must have received a bang on the head, which I didn't see, as he was way off his usual solid game

I like Wellens, he pays great attention to detail and tactics, but please leave the players to make some of their own decisions.
He doesn't need to be kicking every ball, take every throw, free kick and corner. It only confuses them if they are constantly looking around to see what to do .

Agree with Chelm Swim that the Ref was right with the offside kick ^^^ positioning , but 5 yellows for the O's against 1 for Wigan is laughable.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Wallingford O wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:34 pm

No, Forde was running back from an offside position to receive the ball. When the pass was made he was in an offside position in the Wigan half, not that hard to understand
Thats what I thought. you wouldnt be happy conceding a penalty if somone was fouled outside the box but stumbled into it. Stupid change.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Just to clarify further:

In 2016 the International Football Association Board (IFAB) made a change to Law 11.

The indirect free kick for an offside offense is now taken "where the offence occurred." Specifically, the offence occurs when the player meets one of the defined criteria:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or

 interfering with an opponent by:

preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

challenging an opponent for the ball or

clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball or

gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:

rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent

been deliberately saved by any opponent

Also, in 2016, IFAB changed the language of Law 11. The sanction now reads, "If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick (IDFK) where the offence occurred, INCLUDING IF IT'S IN THE PLAYERS OWN HALF OF THE FIELD."

The reason for this law change is that every other free kick was awarded where the infraction occurred (kicking, tripping, deliberate handling, etc.) . The IFAB decided to align the indirect free kick location for offside to be the same as every other free kick awarded - to put it "where the offence occurred."

So just to be clear, before 2016 the IDFK for offside was taken where the player was at the moment of judgment (where they were at the moment the ball was last played or touched by a teammate). But as of July 2016, the IDFK for offside is taken "where the offence occurred" and that is where the player becomes actively involved, by interfering with the ball, an opponent, or gaining an advantage by being in that position.
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

Entertaining game, fair result. In fairness to the team and Wellens as poor as we were on Tuesday, we did get a response yesterday.

Real positive seeing Ageyi get minutes and you'd hope it's not too long before we can start him as we desperately need a bit of flair and creativity in the front line that we're sorely missing.

Both Archibald and Brown showed just how much we missed them on Tuesday, personally the latter being my MOTM. Reminds me a bit of Craig Clay but with a big step up when the ball is at his feet.

Thought referee was awful and gave every soft challenge, stifling the flow.

Think overall it's a good point but we need to start winning. In my opinion, you can tell there's quite a sizable difference between the top half sides in this league and bottom. Lincoln were exactly the latter on Tuesday and so to lose that game is very frustrating. However, Wigan I'd put in the first category so a point is decent.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:10 pm Just to clarify further:

In 2016 the International Football Association Board (IFAB) made a change to Law 11.

The indirect free kick for an offside offense is now taken "where the offence occurred." Specifically, the offence occurs when the player meets one of the defined criteria:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or

 interfering with an opponent by:

preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

challenging an opponent for the ball or

clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball or

gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:

rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent

been deliberately saved by any opponent

Also, in 2016, IFAB changed the language of Law 11. The sanction now reads, "If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick (IDFK) where the offence occurred, INCLUDING IF IT'S IN THE PLAYERS OWN HALF OF THE FIELD."

The reason for this law change is that every other free kick was awarded where the infraction occurred (kicking, tripping, deliberate handling, etc.) . The IFAB decided to align the indirect free kick location for offside to be the same as every other free kick awarded - to put it "where the offence occurred."

So just to be clear, before 2016 the IDFK for offside was taken where the player was at the moment of judgment (where they were at the moment the ball was last played or touched by a teammate). But as of July 2016, the IDFK for offside is taken "where the offence occurred" and that is where the player becomes actively involved, by interfering with the ball, an opponent, or gaining an advantage by being in that position.
I can’t believe this changed 7 years ago and I’ve only just found out.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Beradogs wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:26 pm Brynn. 6. Gave away a penalty in the first minute. No chance with the goal. Nothing to do in the second half especially.
Happe. 7.MOM. Good solid game.
Cooper. 4. Has been find of the season but not today, he was awful. Gave away a silly free kick for their goal, gave away at least two other good opportunities. Looked like a different player.
Turns. 6. Didn’t do much wrong. The defence had it easy in the second half as Wigan looked a different side than the first 45 minutes.
James. 6. Steady if unspectacular.
Archibald. 7. Strange in that he had a great first half when Wigan dominated but a quiet second half when we had most of the ball. Did we change shape? As he seemed to drop deeper and deeper.
Brown. 6.5. We play better when he is the side.
El Miz. 6. Don’t want to be too harsh as he is still one of our better players but he’s definitely finding it tougher in league one. Not sure if it’s the fact he gets less time on the ball or we are under more pressure generally as a team. Probably a bit of both.
Ruel. 6. His pass set up the goal but didn’t do a whole lot else. I would like to see moncor have another chance and Ruel given a rest. Unlikely as RW loves him and to be fair, we need someone to score the goals.

Subs. Hunt. 5. Bottled a 50/50 with the keeper that could have resulted in a chance. Never thought he was that kind of player. Others 6

Wellens. 6. Average mark for an average performance. We looked like the only team that was going to win it second half without creating anything too threatening.

Wigan. 6. A day of sixes. They played some lovely stuff the first 45 minutes then completely went into their shell.

Ref. 6. Of course. Actually he gets a 4 as all he did was book our players and none of there’s.
Beradogs, your very perceptive in your assessment,you should consider going into scouting, your spot on. El Miz has found his level and that’s why Ipswich have loaned him out, (think every chance of signing him next season however (I think we need a box to box attacking midfielder instead)Brown has now taken over the central midfield role and is the stand out player imo. Theo was excellent and his crossing was good. Why there is no player on the far post at corners baffles me, so much for the set piece coach? When the ball bounces in the box there never seems to be an orient player on the end of it? Richie is learning about the the squad and division as we go forward. The top half of the league is different gravy to the bottom half and League two,vastly different imo. Three players need to be shipped out pronto, Moncu,Sweeney and Drinnan(what’s going on between him and Wellens) good ratings👍
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Drinan gets a lot of stick on here but I’d rather have him than Pigott. When Drinan came on for Pigott yesterday we were immediately better .
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

As Wellens often says, we can’t overlook how young the average age of the team is. Perhaps unsurprising we have naive moments.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:13 am Drinan gets a lot of stick on here but I’d rather have him than Pigott. When Drinan came on for Pigott yesterday we were immediately better .
Sorry to disagree but Pigot holds the ball up better and try’s to win more headers,the reason he looks pony is because there’s no midfielders backing up or no player along side him to lay the ball off to,plus he always has two CB’s on him. As for Drinnan I’ll say it again he’s always looking and backing into players behind him he never makes runs into gaps or run off the shoulder ( Alfie May for instance ) he is static when he receives the ball and has no instinct to shoot or get into places where he can shoot. Do you think he could score a goal like Forde did yesterday,personally I would say not,he would have taken more touches and wouldn’t have been running into the gap that Ruel passed to.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:13 am Drinan gets a lot of stick on here but I’d rather have him than Pigott. When Drinan came on for Pigott yesterday we were immediately better .
I have regularly defended Drinnan on here but I thought Piggot stepped up to play the target man role really well on Saturday, acting as a good buffer for Ruel and Shaqford. I thought that front 3, playing narrow as they were, worked pretty well together, especially seeing as Ruel was in his least favourite position as a right sided 10 and Shaq hasn't had much game time lately.

And with Drinnan and Agyei sitting on the bench, we had viable options to bring on too.