Negative, boring football.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Negative, boring football.

Post by Long slender neck »

Has Richie lost the plot, playing this sideways rubbish? We look devoid of confidence.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Re: Negative, boring football.

Post by BiggsyMalone »

You try breaking down a compact team playing 5 at the back without trying to move them out of position
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Negative,boring football?are you sure? I wish we were that good!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:07 pm You try breaking down a compact team playing 5 at the back without trying to move them out of position
Eh?

We had plenty of options but setup negatively
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

We need a rethink on formation. Our defence and midfield won so many balls back and as soon as it went past the halfway line the ball was wasted. No creativity in the number ten role and Piggot and drinan haven’t got a creative bone in their body.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:11 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:07 pm You try breaking down a compact team playing 5 at the back without trying to move them out of position
Eh?

We had plenty of options but setup negatively
You have to switch the play and move it side to side to drag players out of position to create space when it isn’t there
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Yeah we tried that, a lot.
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

First 15 minutes I almost fell asleep. That was probably the worst performance I can recall since ‘you know who’ was ruining the club. Absolutely abysmal.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 pm We need a rethink on formation. Our defence and midfield won so many balls back and as soon as it went past the halfway line the ball was wasted. No creativity in the number ten role and Piggot and drinan haven’t got a creative bone in their body.
Pigott is only League 2 standard at best and Drinan , despite working hard has no end product. The Ipswich supporters were right. I feel he is National League bound.
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

LPE wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:30 pm First 15 minutes I almost fell asleep. That was probably the worst performance I can recall since ‘you know who’ was ruining the club. Absolutely abysmal.
Spot on, unfortunately.

Mr Reynolds watching from upstairs is not going to have been impressed.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:36 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 pm We need a rethink on formation. Our defence and midfield won so many balls back and as soon as it went past the halfway line the ball was wasted. No creativity in the number ten role and Piggot and drinan haven’t got a creative bone in their body.
Pigott is only League 2 standard at best and Drinan , despite working hard he has no end product. The Ipswich supporters were right. I feel he is National League bound.
There is no way Drinan is going to come good in this league. It’s like playing with 10 men. I cannot for the life of me understand Richie’s continued faith in him.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

o-no wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:41 pm
Pigott is only League 2 standard at best and Drinan , despite working hard he has no end product. The Ipswich supporters were right. I feel he is National League bound.
There is no way Drinan is going to come good in this league. It’s like playing with 10 men. I cannot for the life of me understand Richie’s continued faith in him.
Like playing with 8 tonight with sotoriou & pigott
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

I think it’s because he has nobody else………Drinan’s workrate isn’t In question, but his finishing is poor and we really have to hope that Dan Agyei will be fit enough soon to add some quality to our front three.
Theo was also sorely missed tonight, we had no width
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

There was a spell around 25-30 minutes when we were doing this really, really well. Lincoln couldn't get near us and were working their arses off to try and contain us. And all you could hear were cries of 'Stop playing about with it' and 'Get it forward' from our idiot fans.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:18 pm
There was a spell around 25-30 minutes when we were doing this really, really well. Lincoln couldn't get near us and were working their arses off to try and contain us. And all you could hear were cries of 'Stop playing about with it' and 'Get it forward' from our idiot fans.
Well, we didn't score tonight so maybe they had a point .
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

How many goals did we score in this period?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Cheshunto wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:11 pm

I think it’s because he has nobody else………Drinan’s workrate isn’t In question, but his finishing is poor and we really have to hope that Dan Agyei will be fit enough soon to add some quality to our front three.
Theo was also sorely missed tonight, we had no width
Why haven't we got anyone else? It was patently obvious Drinan wouldn't be a decent L1 striker. Only excuse for not replacing him would be if we couldn't find a taker since he had another year left but we should've done what we could to find one.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Exactly
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:27 pm
How many goals did we score in this period?
The passage of play came to an end of Happe launched another of his diags onto their left backs head. But at least it kept the master tacticians in the crowd happy.

Football has changed, even at L1 level. Fans need to catch up.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

I feel we have reached the crunch point of the season and we could find ourselves going back to league two if we(Wellens) doesn’t change direction. We simply haven’t got the players for the system that he’s persisting in. He’s putting square pegs into round holes. I know this isn’t going to be popular but he needs to go back to basics and revert to either 442 or 4411. When Archibald comes back he needs to go back as an attacking left sided midfielder with Sanders on the right. Put Ruel and Forde up front to inject some pace and Hunt and James as fullbacks. Hopefully we could stabilise and get a few points on the board because what I witnessed tonight we will be certainties for the drop. That’s two bad home results on the trot and unless he changes direction it will be three by Saturday evening. Just don’t want to see the team going backwards after a great last season. Sorry for the post🙊
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Negative. Boring. Lacking ideas. Words that sum us up tonight. Add lack of heart, lack of passion, lack of energy. They played like they didn’t give a toss. The spirit of last season a distant memory.

We all know about switching play to try and create gaps. But that ain’t us. We switch play because we just lack ideas so go sideways annd backwards . And when we get a chance to break, we slow it down. Best let them get their defenders back and organised, the decent thing to do isn’t it.

We have become a one trick pony. Well two. Plan A the long punt, plan B the endless sideways, backways passing.

We need to get a grip and soon.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dohnut wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:38 pm Add lack of heart, lack of passion, lack of energy.
Lack of footwork too?
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

I don’t agree. We were not doing that tonight. We were passing for the sake of passing. Even RW said it post match. To create space and move the opposition around you have to pass and move and make runs. We didn’t do that. You’re kidding yourself if you think we did.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

DrWindy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:47 pm
I don’t agree. We were not doing that tonight. We were passing for the sake of passing. Even RW said it post match. To create space and move the opposition around you have to pass and move and make runs. We didn’t do that. You’re kidding yourself if you think we did.
I'm not sure what your point is? I'm aware of the requirements for our possession game to be successful, and am aware that it wasn't successful for most of the night.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

My point is and I thought it I articulated it quite well was that our fans were not idiots to call out tonight’s performance. You suggested they were passing to move Lincoln around and find a way through. They were not and that’s why our fans called it out.