Manager Merry Go Round

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Manager Merry Go Round

Post by Max B Gold »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:44 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:17 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:37 am In fairness, saying "football managers sometimes get sacked!" didn't really add too much to the discussion, did it Sid?
Just a statement of fact. Max was writing about a radio show and comments by a Celtic fan gloating about Rangers manager Micky Beale getting the..... ...I quote ''heave-ho'' from his job. Well this same fate happens to quite a few football managers, nothing that unusual about that happening, thus this thread ''Manager Merry Go Round'' !
Look forward to your searing insights later on Saturday, such as "sometimes a team will win a football match and other times they might lose!"
Or even draw
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:37 am In fairness, saying "football managers sometimes get sacked!" didn't really add too much to the discussion, did it Sid?
Just a statement of fact. Max was writing about a radio show and comments by a Celtic fan gloating about Rangers manager Micky Beale getting the..... ...I quote ''heave-ho'' from his job. Well this same fate happens to quite a few football managers, nothing that unusual about that happening, thus this thread ''Manager Merry Go Round'' !
Look forward to your searing insights later on Saturday, such as "sometimes a team will win a football match and other times they might lose!"
Birds of a feather flock together.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:57 pm

Or even draw
Yes sure, blah, blah, blah.
And now the SNP are on the way out in Scotland, How in the Scottish independence movement going, plus rejoining the EU ?
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Odd.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Birmingham City have parted company with John Eustace. They are 6th in the Championship.

"It is essential that the Board of Directors and the football management are fully aligned on the importance of implementing a winning mentality and a culture of ambition across the entire Football Club." :~

BONKERS
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Bergen wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:26 am Birmingham City have parted company with John Eustace. They are 6th in the Championship.

"It is essential that the Board of Directors and the football management are fully aligned on the importance of implementing a winning mentality and a culture of ambition across the entire Football Club." :~

BONKERS
I think they want Wayne Rooney as their manager, so have booted Eustace out
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Amazes me that after the last ten years or so of severe underperformance they finally get a manager to stabilise them and have them at the right end of the table and they sack the manager. What’s more they go for Rooney! Do they never learn?
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

DrWindy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:19 pm Amazes me that after the last ten years or so of severe underperformance they finally get a manager to stabilise them and have them at the right end of the table and they sack the manager. What’s more they go for Rooney! Do they never learn?
Staggering stuff.Eustace looked like he was doing a good job.
I guess they want a "name" manager, as that would allegedly attract "name" players.

Rooney is 37 but looks well into his 50s. Likely to some extent a drunk and a womaniser. Some example to set.! Good player, mind.
I guess his managerial record is marginally better than the likes of Gerrard/Lampard (also "names"), who are both terrible managers.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Scuba Diver wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:59 pm
DrWindy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:19 pm Amazes me that after the last ten years or so of severe underperformance they finally get a manager to stabilise them and have them at the right end of the table and they sack the manager. What’s more they go for Rooney! Do they never learn?
Staggering stuff.Eustace looked like he was doing a good job.
I guess they want a "name" manager, as that would allegedly attract "name" players.

Rooney is 37 but looks well into his 50s. Likely to some extent a drunk and a womaniser. Some example to set.! Good player, mind.
I guess his managerial record is marginally better than the likes of Gerrard/Lampard (also "names"), who are both terrible managers.
If my memory serves me well didn’t they do it a few years ago with Zola? Doing really well and then went into free fall. Just not sure what Rooney has shown to warrant the job. Time will tell who is right.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

They did indeed, and Zola won 2 games in 24 before being shunted aside..

A truly fantastic player but clearly not cut out for management (Zola)

I can only assume the BCFC board saw the galvanising job he did at Derby; where in fairness he did well to unite a club in absolute freefall.. He was pretty quick to step away though when he wasn't being pushed and (although they gave him his first chance in management at a Championship club), showed little loyalty once they'd gone down..

He'll need to do a similar galvanising job at Birmingham since it's clear the fans don't want him, and if the players were unhappy with Eustace, it's unlikely they'd be 6th after years of stinking the league out..
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Scuba Diver wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:38 pm They did indeed, and Zola won 2 games in 24 before being shunted aside..
Seems like a different world. 24 games is of course no time at all but with just 2 wins he'd probably have been given the boot after 10 these days.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Sheffield Wednesday do not appoint Ritchie Wellens. Instead its Danny Rohl, a 34 year old German
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Seems like a risky rohl of the dice.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

LittleMate wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:36 pm Sheffield Wednesday do not appoint Ritchie Wellens. Instead its Danny Rohl, a 34 year old German
I dont understand the bit about richie wellens?
Why would they appoint Richie Wellens?
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:19 pm
LittleMate wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:36 pm Sheffield Wednesday do not appoint Ritchie Wellens. Instead its Danny Rohl, a 34 year old German
I dont understand the bit about richie wellens?
Why would they appoint Richie Wellens?
Why wouldn't they? He's super (and had been mentioned by one or two as being a potential).
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

I don`t think it has been mentioned that Matt Lockwood has been sacked as the head coach of the Montserrat national football team.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Wasn't Lee Bowyer Montserrat boss?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Oh wow, Lockwood was his predecessor. Did not know that. Also, how is Lyle Taylor without a club? Only 33.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

MK Dons has parted company with Graham Alexander. After 13 games in charge :oops: .
y o y o y
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by y o y o y »

Not so Great
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Bergen wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:16 pm MK Dons has parted company with Graham Alexander. After 13 games in charge :oops: .
He has really struggled since leaving Salford. Guess it ain’t so easy when you can’t massively overpay and attract players who should be playing 2 divisions higher. The fact that he didn’t actually win the conference despite having, at the time, such a comparatively huge budget could be seen as a failure in retrospect.

Also shows what a spectacular job Justin did.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Mike Williamson new head coach at MK Dons.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Head coach Mark Kennedy has left the Imps.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Millwall have parted company with Gary Rowett.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Colchester United have sacked head coach Ben Garner.