Dispatches on Saturday night

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Dispatches on Saturday night

Post by Dunners »

Is Monbiot a lefty? Now that Owen Jones is being attacked, I can't keep up with who's in or out nowadays.
VeganO
Fresh Alias

Post by VeganO »

It's extremely concerning that serious sexual allegations are made against an individual through the media rather than the complainants reporting it to the Police. This may of course change.
Unless & until Brand is properly prosecuted & convicted, shame on all those boarders who are behaving as if he's guilty - some of whom think they are particularly clever & yet are showing all the nous of the bloke down the pub.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Agreed, plus you might get a drink out of the bloke down the pub!
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Ah, here we are, the Why Don't Women Just Report Stuff To The Police? out in the wild.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

VeganO wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:18 pm It's extremely concerning that serious sexual allegations are made against an individual through the media rather than the complainants reporting it to the Police. This may of course change.
Unless & until Brand is properly prosecuted & convicted, shame on all those boarders who are behaving as if he's guilty - some of whom think they are particularly clever & yet are showing all the nous of the bloke down the pub.

Less than 1% of reported rapes result in conviction.
If you think that it’s unreasonable to conclude that the openly misogynistic Brand is a rapist based on the evidence you have access to, then essentially you are advocating de facto decriminalisation of rape.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

VeganO wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:18 pm It's extremely concerning that serious sexual allegations are denied by an individual through his TikTok rather than through turning himself into the Police. This may of course change.
Unless & until Brand is properly tried and acquitted, shame on all those boarders who are behaving as if his accusers are lying - some of whom think they are particularly clever & yet are showing all the nous of the bloke down the pub.

Fixed it for you
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

VeganO wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:18 pm It's extremely concerning that serious sexual allegations are made against an individual through the media rather than the complainants reporting it to the Police. This may of course change.
The ‘bloke down the pub’ sits on a jury. Where do you get this 1 % statistic from apart from plucking it out of thin air?
The agencies who have withdrawn their support and charity who have disowned him plus the numerous celebrities now distancing themselves from him are also people who like going to pubs. Some people do not trust the police or to confide in them , especially having regards ti recent high profile cases involving individual police offices so put yourself in their position?
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Brand was never my cup of tea. Something about men with hair passed their shoulders , never trust a bloke who doesnt use a barber shop.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Joe315 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:52 pm Brand was never my cup of tea. Something about men with hair passed their shoulders , never trust a bloke who doesnt use a barber shop.
That would have been a great comment if we were in the 70’s . Most of the league’s footballers would have been in the frame.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

The Mindsweep wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:35 am
How do they calculate ‘rapists’ if they aren’t reported?
VeganO
Fresh Alias

Post by VeganO »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:36 pm Ah, here we are, the Why Don't Women Just Report Stuff To The Police? out in the wild.
Are you deliberately missing the point? Sorry, I'm one of those pesky lawyers who prefer people to be convicted after a fair Trial in a court than being convicted by public opinion
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:45 am
The Mindsweep wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:35 am
How do they calculate ‘rapists’ if they aren’t reported?

You survey a statistically significant number of women. You ask them whether they have been raped and whether they reported it.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

VeganO wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:59 am
Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:36 pm Ah, here we are, the Why Don't Women Just Report Stuff To The Police? out in the wild.
Are you deliberately missing the point? Sorry, I'm one of those pesky lawyers who prefer people to be convicted after a fair Trial in a court than being convicted by public opinion
You don’t prefer a “fair trial” because if you did, you would note that almost all rapes go unpunished, and be more focused on why women can not get justice for their attackers.
VeganO
Fresh Alias

Post by VeganO »

CEB wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:41 pm

If you think that it’s unreasonable to conclude that the openly misogynistic Brand is a rapist based on the evidence you have access to, then essentially you are advocating de facto decriminalisation of rape.
As I've said to PJ I'm looking at this from a due process angle.
It's comforting to know that after all these years, you still post utter tripe dressed up as great insight. ie advocating de facto criminalisation of rape.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

As I said: when “due process” demonstrably fails women, deferring to due process before forming an opinion about the available evidence - and criticising those who do form an opinion - is an act of supporting rapists and their freedom to rape.

If you want to show your arse on this forum by pretending to not see that the evidence that Brand is a rapist is compelling, then that’s on you.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

It’s interesting how many men think that “due process” means believing an accused rapist until he is convicted, but have no issue with the idea that society should treat instances of rape as if the victim is lying until she successfully gets her rapist convicted.

It’s interesting that the statistics on how many woman who have been raped and havent had justice don’t even make a dent in the idea that there should be no social consequences for men accused of rape, and no weight whatsoever put on publicly available evidence until it’s been heard in a court of law.

I can only conclude that it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. Men like that think rape happens a lot less than it does, because they are such useless c***s at recognising how misogynistic society is that no women would ever disclose to them that they had been raped.
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

I was not surprised at all about Brand, but the other names mentioned did shock me. there is a very concerning post on Reddit regarding one "National Treasure " and his friends, and then I heard all about the Ben Cowburn story. Deeply upsetting.
VeganO
Fresh Alias

Post by VeganO »

CEB wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:32 am It’s interesting how many men think that “due process” means believing an accused rapist until he is convicted, but have no issue with the idea that society should treat instances of rape as if the victim is lying until she successfully gets her rapist convicted.

It’s interesting that the statistics on how many woman who have been raped and havent had justice don’t even make a dent in the idea that there should be no social consequences for men accused of rape, and no weight whatsoever put on publicly available evidence until it’s been heard in a court of law.

I can only conclude that it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. Men like that think rape happens a lot less than it does, because they are such useless c***s at recognising how misogynistic society is that no women would ever disclose to them that they had been raped.
Don't apply that first para to me.
My God, you are so pompous & think that you are the great intellectual.
Some of what you post is concerning. So what should the social consequences be for men who are wrongly accused of rape?
Rape is a heinous crime & yet you seem happy labelling people publicly as rapists without due process. The problem is we don't know whether you are right or not, yet.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

VeganO wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:06 am

It's comforting to know that after all these years, you still post utter tripe dressed up as great insight. ie advocating de facto criminalisation of rape.
Out of interest, and I'm not comparing the two men particularly, but do you ever put forward the same argument about Jimmy Savile, a man who, lest we forget, was never convicted of a criminal offence?
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Yes, I’m happy calling Russell Brand a rapist. I’m basing that on the fact that there is credible evidence that he is a rapist.

It’s pretty amazing that you’re like “what?! Social consequences for men accused of rape!? That’s not cricket, is it?”

I can only assume you have not either read the story, watched the documentary, and have never read anything at all about how “due process” harms women?

Do you think that Im wrong in calling Sgt Paul Storey a double rapist? He bullied me at school. Two of his colleagues reported him for rape and sexual assault. “Due process” meant he kept his job for two years, was never prosecuted, but an internal investigation by the police concluded he raped two women. He has not been found guilty in a court of law, but he is a rapist, is he not?
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Don’t bother engaging with CEB on a subject like this vegan. He’s basically said (or will in a minute trust me) that if you don’t believe Brand is a Rapist that makes you one despite no trial. P.S. he probably is, I can’t stand him, that’s not the point.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Beradogs wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:10 am Don’t bother engaging with CEB on a subject like this vegan. He’s basically said (or will in a minute trust me) that if you don’t believe Brand is a Rapist that makes you one despite no trial. P.S. he probably is, I can’t stand him, that’s not the point.
He's not saying that. Please stop.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:07 am
VeganO wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:06 am

Out of interest, and I'm not comparing the two men particularly, but do you ever put forward the same argument about Jimmy Savile, a man who, lest we forget, was never convicted of a criminal offence?
This may help:

https://x.com/BarristerSecret/status/17 ... 84998?s=20
faldO
Fresh Alias

Post by faldO »

Dunners wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:41 pm Is Monbiot a lefty? Now that Owen Jones is being attacked, I can't keep up with who's in or out nowadays.
Monbiot and The Guardian were big fans a few years ago when Brand was batting for the left, less so now that he has become a far-right extremist.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... d-activist