House selling prices

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: House selling prices

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

FrankOFile wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:45 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:40 pm
BoniO wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:17 pm

What are you on about? My question is purely about the use and meaning of the posted phrase. Absolutely nothing to do with buy to let. I was just wondering if there any estate agents on here who might shed some light. Some real numpties on this board.
Why don’t you go and find out yourself by asking an estate agent rather than posting on here? I know Dunners doesn’t care about your rudeness but he’s posted a decent reply and you’ve just been nasty - not your first time on here being nasty and rude.
Don’t remember you standing out on the board before the last few months so maybe somethings happened and I hope you are ok but you are coming across badly recently.
This seems to be a gross overreaction.
Potentially, but BoniO comes and ask a question about a very specific question and then calls someone a numpty because they got the wrong end of the stick. Unnecessary, entitled and rude. And not the first time either.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:51 am
FrankOFile wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:45 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:40 pm
Why don’t you go and find out yourself by asking an estate agent rather than posting on here? I know Dunners doesn’t care about your rudeness but he’s posted a decent reply and you’ve just been nasty - not your first time on here being nasty and rude.
Don’t remember you standing out on the board before the last few months so maybe somethings happened and I hope you are ok but you are coming across badly recently.
This seems to be a gross overreaction.
Potentially, but BoniO comes and ask a question about a very specific question and then calls someone a numpty because they got the wrong end of the stick. Unnecessary, entitled and rude. And not the first time either.
:lol: ;) I know Max - unforgiveable behaviour. How's your other aliases doing?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

They're all fine, thanks.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Max Fowler wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:54 pm They're all fine, thanks.
Feckin' rude. He was talking to me.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

They're all fine. Apart from a couple whose passwords I've loaned to the moderator team.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Going back to the issue of a housing shortage/excess population...

I remember a few years back, it was calculated that we'd need to build 4.3million homes for supply to reach parity with demand. The government set a target of building 300K a year to try and achieve that.

The target has now been abandoned. But, to see how far adrift we are, applications submitted and granted for new build applications totalled just 21,918 in the first half of 2023.

Assuming we manage 50,000 in a whole year, and manage to just maintain that, it will take us 86 years to build enough homes. And that's assuming the population doesn't increase any further.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

If there werent enough houses, wouldnt the excess people just be wandering the streets?
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:55 pm If there werent enough houses, wouldnt the excess people just be wandering the streets?

:D
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:52 pm Going back to the issue of a housing shortage/excess population...

I remember a few years back, it was calculated that we'd need to build 4.3million homes for supply to reach parity with demand. The government set a target of building 300K a year to try and achieve that.

The target has now been abandoned. But, to see how far adrift we are, applications submitted and granted for new build applications totalled just 21,918 in the first half of 2023.

Assuming we manage 50,000 in a whole year, and manage to just maintain that, it will take us 86 years to build enough homes. And that's assuming the population doesn't increase any further.
Who is this "us" who are failing to build houses. The House builders (dirty, stinkin, filthy capitalist rats of the highest order) are holding back on building because their market is screwed for now and they wouldn't get the profit they believe the deserve if they built more houses.

Only a govt led planned programme of building decent affordable properties for rent, shared ownership etc and compulsory purchase of land banks from developers will solve the problem.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:00 pm
Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:52 pm Going back to the issue of a housing shortage/excess population...

Who is this "us" who are failing to build houses. The House builders (dirty, stinkin, filthy capitalist rats of the highest order) are holding back on building because their market is screwed for now and they wouldn't get the profit they believe the deserve if they built more houses.

Only a govt led planned programme of building decent affordable properties for rent, shared ownership etc and compulsory purchase of land banks from developers will solve the problem.
Yes, but can we line the builders up against a wall and shoot them as well?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

BoniO wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:04 pm

Don't see why not so long as estate agents, lawyers and surveyors are included in the project.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:07 pm
BoniO wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:04 pm

Don't see why not so long as estate agents, lawyers and surveyors are included in the project.
Add in accountants and you've got the full set ;)
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

You should spare a thought for the second home owners down our way, who have previously dodged Council Tax by offering their bolthole gaff for holiday lets a few times a year, declaring their running costs as expenses and therefore a ‘business’ loss, so avoiding any business rates as well. Now, unless they put their place up for let at least 300 days a year AND successfully let it for 182 days or more, they have to pay the Council Tax with a 100% premium - and the Welsh Govt allows councils to raise that to a 300% premium, which Pembs is seriously thinking of doing.

They could, of course, do long term lets (which is what the local council wants them to do as rental properties are thin on the ground) and get the tenant to pay the standard Council Tax, but then they can’t use the place for their hols.

Funnily enough, a lot of these places have come on the market lately, and many aren’t fetching anywhere near the asking prices. Still, less second home capital gains tax for the sellers to pay then. The poor lambs.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:55 pm If there werent enough houses, wouldnt the excess people just be wandering the streets?
:lol:
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

So there are enough?
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Did we really get this far without digging out old people? This is the first time in British history that we've had millions of retired people dwelling in under-occupied family homes and resisting all attempts to build new properties nearby.

Just thought that needed throwing into the mix. Thank you and good afternoon.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The old folk have had their luxurious lives- cheap houses, free education, free healthcare, entire family live off one salary, walk into any job you like, gold plated pension, trashed the planet and they're pulling up the drawbridge.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Yes, build retirement bungalows in town centres, free up all the large empty houses for families. Has to be cheaper.
Then kill em all off and there's loads of starter homes.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:45 pm The old folk have had their luxurious lives- cheap houses, free education, free healthcare, entire family live off one salary, walk into any job you like, gold plated pension, trashed the planet and they're pulling up the drawbridge.
But on the plus side - we've never tried to pass off "influencer" as a job title, so I reckon we're about even.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Other side of the coin. I have started a job in a college and the topic of D Day came up. Precious few of the learners had a clue about this event. I thought about all those people who sacrificed their lives etc...
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:36 pm Other side of the coin. I have started a job in a college and the topic of D Day came up. Precious few of the learners had a clue about this event. I thought about all those people who sacrificed their lives etc...
Interesting. What subject do you teach?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:36 pm Other side of the coin. I have started a job in a college and the topic of D Day came up. Precious few of the learners had a clue about this event. I thought about all those people who sacrificed their lives etc...
The youth of today must be punished for their entire lives for not knowing about d-day?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:17 am
The youth of today must be punished for their entire lives for not knowing about d-day?
Those who sacrificed their lives and suffered injury and mental anguish in the D Day landings were certainly punished. It is a failure of our Education System if the youth of today do not know. However, I suspect most youth know the gist of WW2 , without specific dates and battle names. The history of the recent World Wars is frequently aired on TV, Schools cover Remembrance Sunday and Poppies and contributions made by Commonwealth Countries included in Black History Month.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I reckon the youth of today should be made to re-enact the D-day landings, under live fire, before they can qualify for any mortgage product.

That'll teach 'em.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Dunners wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:31 am I reckon the youth of today should be made to re-enact the D-day landings, under live fire, before they can qualify for any mortgage product.

That'll teach 'em.
😁