charity

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

charity

Post by greyhound »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23740173/ ... ople-bath/

charity begins at home for me.
in saying that wife gives to Marie curie now and again.
have a soft spot for the sally Ann.
a few years ago the came round our village
with there brass band collecting donations.
do you give.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: charity

Post by Daily Express bot »

greyhound wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:10 am https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23740173/ ... ople-bath/

charity begins at home for me.
in saying that wife gives to Marie curie now and again.
have a soft spot for the sally Ann.
a few years ago the came round our village
with there brass band collecting donations.
do you give.
I like to give directly to people without fanfare. Most people I give to do not ask for it either
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

best way to get rid of toot
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

“Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim.” - Atlee (or his biographer)

“We don’t do charity in Germany. We pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments’ responsibilities." - Henning Wehn
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:19 am “Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim.” - Atlee (or his biographer)

“We don’t do charity in Germany. We pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments’ responsibilities." - Henning Wehn
Leaving it to our government to decide which charities to fund is not a road I, personally, would want to go down.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

EH16 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:32 am
StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:19 am “Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim.” - Atlee (or his biographer)

Leaving it to our government to decide which charities to fund is not a road I, personally, would want to go down.
True, but if Govt were doing its job, there wouldn't be a need for many of them. Marie Curie / MacMillan / Maggies Centres as an example - shouldn't all aspects of cancer care be supplied without rattling a cup?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

I still donate a bit each month but cancelled my direct debit to Shelter a while back as, from dealing with a couple of their advocates on a professional basis, they were real c*nts, so f*ck 'em.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I donate and do a bit of volunteering for Haven House. But if f*cks me off no end that a bunch of sick and dying kids in 21st century Britain need to rely on a charity for some simply pleasures.

And the worst are the charity braggers. Those c*nts that love to shout about how much they donate, as if that forgives them their other c*ntish behaviour.

Or ask you to lump in some cash so that they can pursue a personal fulfilment exercise (i.e. climb Mount Kilimanjaro or something). All while pretending that they're just doing it so that some 3-year old girl in Chad, who is being married off to some Boko Haram chump, can drink clean water.

F*ck off, I can see right through you.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:19 pm I still donate a bit each month but cancelled my direct debit to Shelter a while back as, from dealing with a couple of their advocates on a professional basis, they were real c*nts, so f*ck 'em.
Interesting. I donate a tenner a month to them - have done for years but never had any Real dealings with them.

(all may strike me down for this if they wish but) I sometimes buy beer/cider for the street drinkers round where I live (Southend), if they look desperate enough to need it anyway..
My view is that, in those moments- alcohol is what they want more than anything in the world and paradoxically, if they're shaking, and look like they've got the 'DT's', that beer might even save their life - for if they go into a seizure, they could die.
I will always then have a chat and check how they're doing.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I've got a bit of a bug bear about the way a lot of charities are run.

I check how much of the donations they receive actually go to the cause, a lot of them are appallingly low.

I hate chugging, a pox on all who use it.

And I feel a lot of charities have similar goals (how many cancer charities do we need?) so should merge together to create economies of scale and reduce their overheads.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Scuba Diver wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:33 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:19 pm I still donate a bit each month but cancelled my direct debit to Shelter a while back as, from dealing with a couple of their advocates on a professional basis, they were real c*nts, so f*ck 'em.
Interesting. I donate a tenner a month to them - have done for years but never had any Real dealings with them.
They do great work for people on an individual basis and as campaigners but - after we had a, erm, fairly significant incident at work - the way they dealt with and spoke to myself and colleagues was at times absolutely disgusting (as were staff members at the local MP's office, who we had to complain about via the union). I get they had a job to do and it's sometimes the nature of advocacy to be confrontational, and I wouldn't ever say people shouldn't support them, but did what felt right for me.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:47 am

True, but if Govt were doing its job, there wouldn't be a need for many of them. Marie Curie / MacMillan / Maggies Centres as an example - shouldn't all aspects of cancer care be supplied without rattling a cup?

There have been charities in existence since time immemorial, under all political Governments. They do not cease trading when Labour has come to power.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

It's probably only a minority who used their collecting for charity as a mask for their own personal advancement, but it definitely does happen. And it's a surprisingly short road from Smashey & Nicey to Sir James Savile.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Adz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm I've got a bit of a bug bear about the way a lot of charities are run.

I check how much of the donations they receive actually go to the cause, a lot of them are appallingly low.
I am guessing that their net income using the structures they do and paying the fundraisers is still higher than it would be without doing so.

As for amounts going to frontline services, I used to do work connected with the Salvation Army, and the amount of donations that go to the frontline there is much higher than with most charities as a lot of the work is done by the Captains in the Army who are basically ministers who are incredibly low paid. They used to be given a property (not a vicarage) a flat or house often in a crap area, and a small car .

i am not a member of the Salvation Army, and indeed do not agree with their stance on alcohol, but I do admire the dedication of the Captains for little or no financial reward

I hate chugging, a pox on all who use it.
I do not agree - a pox is not sufficient. I would like this practice totally outlawing. Probably not as easy to do as it is to suggest though as it would probably outlaw lots of legitimate collections as well in trying to outlaw chugging

And I feel a lot of charities have similar goals (how many cancer charities do we need?) so should merge together to create economies of scale and reduce their overheads.
I agree on this, but each of the charities have slightly different aims.

Take a non charitable fundraising situation. Say we decided to have a fundraiser for Leyton Orient. Some people would want the funding to go to buy a new player, some to subsidise ticket prices for widows and orphans, others may want fund to provide lids for coffee cups etc.

If the group decision was to provide funds for a new player, you may decide to set up your own collection to fund subsidized tickets for widows and orphans -

Everyone is collecting for Orient, but want different aspects funded.

Hence why we have for example so many cancer charities. Some are for research into different types of cancer, some are to fund care for cancer sufferes, some to provide equipment or even treats for thise suffering. All cancer related, but different aspects.

even research int different types of cancer is very different
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

interesting answers my main gripe
is massive buildings costing millions to run
all the luxury inside, plus managers wages, some earn in access of one hundred
and fifty grand.
wont go into union bosses wages. :x
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

greyhound wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:40 pm interesting answers my main gripe
is massive buildings costing millions to run
all the luxury inside, plus managers wages, some earn in access of one hundred
and fifty grand.
wont go into union bosses wages. :x
How little should union bosses be paid?

I donate monthly to the Captain Tom Home N.H.S. S.P.A. but that's it. (no idea what the S.P.A. bit stands for, mind).
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:21 pm

There have been charities in existence since time immemorial, under all political Governments. They do not cease trading when Labour has come to power.
Well, my principle charitably donation is to the local food bank. I don't remember many of them around these parts before the Tories came to power.

I have no doubt there's a place for charity - dogs homes, cats homes, preserve our village green, provide extra luxuries for inpatients etc etc. When it comes to clothing, housing, feeding or curing our people who are in need, it's pretty shameful that it's left to the whim of donors, don't you think? I include, of course, research into illnesses etc.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:39 pm
Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:21 pm

Well, my principle charitably donation is to the local food bank. I don't remember many of them around these parts before the Tories came to power.

I have no doubt there's a place for charity - dogs homes, cats homes, preserve our village green, provide extra luxuries for inpatients etc etc. When it comes to clothing, housing, feeding or curing our people who are in need, it's pretty shameful that it's left to the whim of donors, don't you think? I include, of course, research into illnesses etc.
Been food banks , soup kitchens. Work Houses since Victorian Times and long before, Bart’s Charity and other hospitals ‘for the the poor’ hundreds of years. I worked on the Strand 1997 when Blair got in and rough sleepers in doorways noticeably increased . There will always be demand from rough sleepers, it is a chosen and preferred life for many, as is begging on the streets and places like the District Tube Line where many are drug dependent and suffer mental health issues. Governments provide funds to all for basic needs, voluntary and charitable organisations supplement these benefits. We are a generous society which is why people are attracted here from overseas.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:56 pm
Scuba Diver wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:33 pm
They do great work for people on an individual basis and as campaigners but - after we had a, erm, fairly significant incident at work - the way they dealt with and spoke to myself and colleagues was at times absolutely disgusting (as were staff members at the local MP's office, who we had to complain about via the union). I get they had a job to do and it's sometimes the nature of advocacy to be confrontational, and I wouldn't ever say people shouldn't support them, but did what felt right for me.
Someone was nasty to you. Now you're in a huff and bad mouthing the dogooders on the Orient MB. Top work.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Yup. And?
CEB

Post by CEB »

Donate a couple of hundred a month to Mermaids, but because I don’t like to brag about it I try to give the impression that I’m unlikely to give them more than a tenner or so
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I try to give as much as possible to the Anti-Terf League from my taxi takings. This month it was a 1960s sixpence , 1 Turk Lirasi and a 50p the unmanned checkout at Morrisons continually rejects every Friday night when I'm buying my Foosties.

The 1 Turk Lirasi rankles more than the others as it looks like a 2 quid coin, only a little smaller. I must have been given it in a bundle of coins I accepted from a fare. I feel cheated.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEB

Post by CEB »

My joke was far better
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:49 pm My joke was far better
In your humble opinion. Anyway I improved mine by adding something to the original post. I think now it will get two laffs instead of a quiet chuckle as people enjoy Mighty Max the cabbie gettin' ripped off and taken for a mug by some junkie b*stard.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

I give a tenner a month to Geat Ormond Street Hospital , have done ever since my great nephew lost his battle there a few years ago when he was just 18 month old 😪