Jacksonville Shooter

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Frogger
Fresh Alias

Jacksonville Shooter

Post by Frogger »

I have just been reading an article online regarding this tragic event, the sheriff said his weapons had been acquired legally, telling reporters the problem was not with the availability of guns, but with the killer being "a bad guy" 😒😒

Not sure what is more terrifying, the murderer or this Sheriff…..
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Jacksonville Shooter

Post by Real Al »

He's wrong. Other countries have bad guys, yet they don't go on gun rampages.

Other countries have high levels of gun ownership, yet they don't go on gun rampages either.

The problem... is Americans.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Real Al wrote: ↑Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:37 pm He's wrong. Other countries have bad guys, yet they don't go on gun rampages.

Other countries have high levels of gun ownership, yet they don't go on gun rampages either.

Really, and you live in a country where nurses and parents murdering babies under the nose of authorities and positions designed to protect them.
FrankOFile
Fresh Alias

Post by FrankOFile »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: ↑Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:54 pm
Real Al wrote: ↑Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:37 pm He's wrong. Other countries have bad guys, yet they don't go on gun rampages.

Really, and you live in a country where nurses and parents murdering babies under the nose of authorities and positions designed to protect them.
Are you for real?

What a blindingly silly post.
WilliamTell
Fresh Alias

Post by WilliamTell »

And they have them in America as well the automatic weapons you can buy legally.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

WilliamTell wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:54 pm

And they have them in America as well the automatic weapons you can buy legally.
We have our own problems in the UK, I am personally more concerned about what is going on here. We have had numerous incidents of mass shootings in the past here also. Shotgun licences are still relatively easy to obtain but most gun crime in the UK is by illegally held weapons not the legally held ones although there have been many cases of legally held guns being used in domestic killings. I know so many people who have licences shotguns who rarely clean or use them and I think the laws should be tightened up here.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:24 pm

We have our own problems in the UK, I am personally more concerned about what is going on here. We have had numerous incidents of mass shootings in the past here also.
Hungerford in 1987 and Dunblane in 1996 and in the last 27 years?

In the USA there have been 319 this year https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting

Shotgun licences are still relatively easy to obtain but most gun crime in the UK is by illegally held weapons not the legally held ones although there have been many cases of legally held guns being used in domestic killings. I know so many people who have licences shotguns who rarely clean or use them and I think the laws should be tightened up here.
You are comparing gun crime in the USA with people not cleaning shotguns in the UK?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

spen666 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:36 pm
We have our own problems in the UK, I am personally more concerned about what is going on here. We have had numerous incidents of mass shootings in the past here also.
Hungerford in 1987 and Dunblane in 1996 and in the last 27 years?

In the USA there have been 319 this year https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting

Shotgun licences are still relatively easy to obtain but most gun crime in the UK is by illegally held weapons not the legally held ones although there have been many cases of legally held guns being used in domestic killings. I know so many people who have licences shotguns who rarely clean or use them and I think the laws should be tightened up here.
You are comparing gun crime in the USA with people not cleaning shotguns in the UK?
Hardly, too many people in the UK possess firearms unnecessarily, rarely use them legitimately or clean them ( cleaning is part of the maintenance regime).

Many gun clubs have weapons you can hire so I wonder if there could be a better way of reducing gun ownership here. There have been hundreds of terrible incidents over the years in the US especially (for some reason) in schools and colleges. They cannot sort their own problems out in all this time after several Presidents at the helm. Doubt if we can sort their crime out for them when we cannot sort our own.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:23 pm ....

Hardly, too many people in the UK possess firearms unnecessarily, rarely use them legitimately or clean them ( cleaning is part of the maintenance regime).

Many gun clubs have weapons you can hire so I wonder if there could be a better way of reducing gun ownership here. There have been hundreds of terrible incidents over the years in the US especially (for some reason) in schools and colleges. They cannot sort their own problems out in all this time after several Presidents at the helm. Doubt if we can sort their crime out for them when we cannot sort our own.
Yeah, we are struggling to deal with all those mass shootings in the last 27 years in the UK.

The USA has already had more today ( and they are between 7 and 11 hours behind us in time)

most bizarre attempt to somehow suggest the UK and USA shooting figures are comparable
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

spen666 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:36 pm

Yeah, we are struggling to deal with all those mass shootings in the last 27 years in the UK.

The USA has already had more today ( and they are between 7 and 11 hours behind us in time)

most bizarre attempt to somehow suggest the UK and USA shooting figures are comparable
USA population about 7 times that of UK so statistically would be higher gun crime. London murders and violent crime disproportionately higher than New York though it has been reported.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

USA population about 7 times that of UK so statistically would be higher gun crime. London murders and violent crime disproportionately higher than New York though it has been reported.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

UK. gun deaths per 100k, 0.3
USA. gun deaths per 100k, 10.6

We were some way behind the states in gun deaths in 2016. I doubt if much has changed
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:23 pm

Just curious here, as I have never owned, or wanted to own one.

If I had a gun and never cleaned / maintained it, wouldn't that make it less likely to work and therefore less of a danger to the general public?

Or are you saying that a dirty gun is likely to go off spontaneously?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:18 pm

112 murders in London for the 12 month reporting period 2022/23.

34 murders in New York in December 2022 alone.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

O Superman wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:42 pm
Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:23 pm

Just curious here, as I have never owned, or wanted to own one.

If I had a gun and never cleaned / maintained it, wouldn't that make it less likely to work and therefore less of a danger to the general public?

Or are you saying that a dirty gun is likely to go off spontaneously?

Put it this way, I personally would not like to use an unmaintained shotgun on a clay shoot, they get jammed affect accuracy and can be dangerous, jam then fire even.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Proposition Joe wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:59 pm
Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:18 pm

112 murders in London for the 12 month reporting period 2022/23.

34 murders in New York in December 2022 alone.
That was not the year I was looking at but shockingly high in both cities sadly. I was also looking at violent crime , stabbings and murders as a whole. All those poor victims and families. Awful numbers whatever way you look at it.
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

Best option is to ban all guns unless there is a serious business reason. There, solved US and UK crime and the issue of dirty guns!!

Not that hard really, pretty simple. No need for good guys with guns or insane/bad people being able to get their hands on clean or dirty guns.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Frogger wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:10 pm Best option is to ban all guns unless there is a serious business reason. There, solved US and UK crime and the issue of dirty guns!!

Not that hard really, pretty simple. No need for good guys with guns or insane/bad people being able to get their hands on clean or dirty guns.
The makers of guns would suggest there's a very serious business reason not to ban them, so I don't think I'd include business reasons.

I'd imagine that a side benefit of banning legal guns would be that it would make it much harder to obtain ammunition for illegal ones. If there's no legal reason for 9mm ammo to be imported at all, then that must make it more difficult for the bad guys.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

There's more chance of the dissolution of USA than the constitution being amended to make firearms illegal. The occasional shooting spree is something the political establishment has decided it is perfectly comfortable with. And the people are not sufficiently motivated enough to force any change. Even when the victims are kids in school.

So I no longer even register these events and they are getting less media attention each time they occur. Meh.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

StillSpike wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:21 pm
Frogger wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:10 pm Best option is to ban all guns unless there is a serious business reason. There, solved US and UK crime and the issue of dirty guns!!

The makers of guns would suggest there's a very serious business reason not to ban them, so I don't think I'd include business reasons.

I'd imagine that a side benefit of banning legal guns would be that it would make it much harder to obtain ammunition for illegal ones. If there's no legal reason for 9mm ammo to be imported at all, then that must make it more difficult for the bad guys.
Many people with weapons can quite easily make their own ammunition. The recent case of the young man who shot and killed intentionally the Met Police Sergeant Ratana in a police station and himself by accident had an antique pistol loaded with home made ammo he made in his garden shed. Some BB guns can be converted into lethal weapons and criminals are using 3D printers to create guns so there is no easy solution to all this.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

We have our own problems in the UK, I am personally more concerned about what is going on here. We have had numerous incidents of mass shootings in the past here also. Shotgun licences are still relatively easy to obtain but most gun crime in the UK is by illegally held weapons not the legally held ones although there have been many cases of legally held guns being used in domestic killings. I know so many people who have licences shotguns who rarely clean or use them and I think the laws should be tightened up here.
Illegally held firearms should definitely carry heavier sentences than they do at present (as should possession of a knife IMO).
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

LittleMate wrote: ↑Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:19 pm
Illegally held firearms should definitely carry heavier sentences than they do at present (as should possession of a knife IMO).
I totally agree!