Global Boiling

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Global Boiling

Post by faldO »

Global warming is over...it's Global Boiling now.

‘Era of global boiling has arrived,’ says UN chief as July set to be hottest month on record.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... mperatures
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Global Boiling

Post by Max B Gold »

But where is the evidence?
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:05 pm But where is the evidence?
No evidence needed, your pal George Monbiot from The Guardian says so and that's good enough for me.
Equaliser0
Fresh Alias

Post by Equaliser0 »

The Bible - Four Horsemen
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

The Earth is slowly dying. Nature has had enough of the greed of various countries,
wars and over population, she is going to start again.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

There was a report a few days back about the melting ice caps affect on the Gulf Stream. Bizzarely it could get colder in the UK and other parts of Northern Europe before the heat kicks in. So, those that survive freezing to death can look forward to the big burn
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

I know you’re kidding, but it does my head in that there are still people out there who think like this.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

We’re really screwed. I can’t see a proper global effort ever happening, at least not before it’s too late. I feel bad for my kids.

Maybe it’s time to slow walk down my local high street and get kicked by a white van driver. At least I can tell them I did something.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Global warming is a result of the rape of the planet by capitalism, and nothing will change, because it would mean profits taking a big hit, and thats a no no for capitalists.
No government will do anything to force the matter, because it would cost them dear at the polls.....look at last weeks bi election in Uxbridge. No one will pay to make the world a greener place...they just wont.
So we will carry on unabated until things are so bad, people will panic because their very existence is in doubt.
Its a toss up which will end the world first, Climate, Nuclear war, or Pandemic
What a f*ck up humans have made of their planet
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Your big old oil company b*stard, I can fully understand why they'll try and sow doubt or deny the obvious regarding the hastening ruination of our climate and planet, because they prize money and wealth over the well-being of future generations.

But the depressingly large number of Joe Public who seem Hell-bent on pretending this isn't all happening, I don't get. It's them and their kids and grandkids who are going to get absolutely f*cked and they won't make a penny out of it. Why are they so eager to shill for the climate deniers? Why is it always the case that turkeys always seem to end up voting for Christmas?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I expect technology of some sort to save the day, if we're not too late.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

I briefly joined in with just stop oil on the walk to school a couple of weeks ago. It was the boys idea, he was swayed by the argument that if people were annoyed by the disruption they were causing they should stop and consider how pissed they'll be when when their house is under water and there's nothing to eat.

Mass civil disobedience is what's needed, either that or a vote for labour who will definitely take decisive action to do f*** all.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:10 pm Your big old oil company b*stard, I can fully understand why they'll try and sow doubt or deny the obvious regarding the hastening ruination of our climate and planet, because they prize money and wealth over the well-being of future generations.

But the depressingly large number of Joe Public who seem Hell-bent on pretending this isn't all happening, I don't get. It's them and their kids and grandkids who are going to get absolutely f*cked and they won't make a penny out of it. Why are they so eager to shill for the climate deniers? Why is it always the case that turkeys always seem to end up voting for Christmas?
Because they'd have to change their lifestyle.

We need tech that is cheaper than its polluting alternative across the board. Whether thats electric vs petrol or wind vs coal etc.
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

What a cheerful thread.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Just stop oil/ER - raises awareness but also pisses people off, so not really achieving anything.

If emissions stopped tomorrow would it make a difference?

Hopefully someone will invent something to 'treat the symptoms' rather than the cause, I guess we're working on this from multiple angles.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Frogger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:20 pm What a cheerful thread.
Yeah, it's almost as bad as the Beelzebub era.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Frogger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:20 pm What a cheerful thread.
Yeah, we should instead be cheerful and happy and just ignore the fact that we're screwing up the World for our children and grandchildren at a catastrophic rate. Given that we are all recognising and experiencing massive changes to the climate in our pitifully short lifespan (compared to the age of the Earth) then it's clear just how much, and how quickly, we need to change.

Big Oil and friends, and the Governments they hold in thrall, will fight this tooth and nail of course. Don't any of the big players have kids and if so, do they give a sh-it what happens to them? What a bunch of unbelievably self-serving cnuts they are. To quote Douglas Adams, "Death is too good for 'em"
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

BoniO wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:22 pm

Big Oil and friends, and the Governments they hold in thrall, will fight this tooth and nail of course. Don't any of the big players have kids and if so, do they give a sh-it what happens to them? What a bunch of unbelievably self-serving cnuts they are. To quote Douglas Adams, "Death is too good for 'em"
The elitist of elites don't give a sh*t - they will live off planet/underground in comfortable conditions.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:10 pm
I believe Dunnem has an elaborate theory about such things.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Max Fowler wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:41 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:10 pm
I believe Dunnem has an elaborate theory about such things.
This it?

Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

Please could someone tell me how I afford to by an electric car, change my heating and feed my family. Blaming me for using gas, oil and buying GM foods is not my fault. Let companies provide realistic alternatives that are not £45k for a new car, unrealistic and not affordable solar panels, wind power etc. and fresh produce that is not 3 times as expensive.

I would happily change to all of the above if it was affordable. It’s not so I can’t.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Lease?

An electric car is not 45k
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

To lease is still a large monthly payment, seeing as I don’t have any payments on my car at the moment. Maybe if train companies were to make public transport more affordable and reliable then that could be an option.

The issue is not me and my usage, the issue is there is no affordable or government scheme to help people change ( if there is the. Please let me know). Heating is a major contributor to global warming but I have not had any offers that could heat my house without it costing me a fortune.

The government has to make it affordable for everyone to change. If they can do that then great, until then I will have to drive my diesel car, heat my home with fossil fuel and eat the food that I can afford to buy.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Personally, I think it's too late.

Our main job now is to ensure that those who are most responsible don't make it off planet (or underground) safely, and that they have to stay and suffer with our children. There'll be some dolts who'd still guard the launch pads as the last Arks take off, leaving them to their fiery fate, sadly. I hope they realise the depth of their shame before the end.

I really hope I'm not around to witness too much of what now seems inevitable.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Frogger wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:02 am To lease is still a large monthly payment, seeing as I don’t have any payments on my car at the moment. Maybe if train companies were to make public transport more affordable and reliable then that could be an option.

The issue is not me and my usage, the issue is there is no affordable or government scheme to help people change ( if there is the. Please let me know). Heating is a major contributor to global warming but I have not had any offers that could heat my house without it costing me a fortune.

The government has to make it affordable for everyone to change. If they can do that then great, until then I will have to drive my diesel car, heat my home with fossil fuel and eat the food that I can afford to buy.
There are some fair points here, especially about the role of government. That public transport has been allowed to decay to such an extent, while pricing has gone nuts, means that some people will struggle to be persuaded to ditch their motors. But it's better in other countries and they still have issues with persuading people to get on board with other aspects of changing their lives. Basically, we need a consensus across world governments that we need to change and collectively force through the necessary reforms, while ensuring it doesn't impoverish their populations and...that's never going to happen because everyone still looks out for themselves and therefore we're f*cked.