Saturday is DDay for out of contract players

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Saturday is DDay for out of contract players

Post by moonwalk19 »

At the AGM last night Ling said that the out of contract players who have been offered new contracts have until this Saturday to decide to sign or go. Discussions over the last few weeks have been taking place to bring in players to replace them should they want to go,. He also said they have been offered contracts that the Os have not offered before and are competitive for L 1 players. He expects it to get more busy in the week starting 19 th June
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Saturday is DDay for out of contract players

Post by Proposition Joe »

Resigned myself to them all (Vigs, Beckles, Smyth) leaving, anything else is a bonus. Genuinely be surprised if Happe goes though, obvious how much RW rates him and stood by him during his long injury last season.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Beckles surprises me. Local lad, 31 so last contract, presumably opportunity for something coaching wise after football here. Maybe we've only offered 1 or 2 years when he wants 2 or 3?

Vigaro will be the biggest loss. We will be able to find someone as good at the goalkeeping bit easily enough but there aren't many as good with the ball at their feet which is crucial to how Wellens sets us up.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Strange that a couple have signed straight away? I agree Vigs would be a loss all the others are replaceable including Smyth. Centre backs are easier to find than strikers so no problem there. Smyth is injury prone. Think we need to concentrate on another midfielder to replace El Miz. Also need two quality strikers(have a feeling Macca will be back?) and as long as we don’t resign Kelman I’ll be happy 🙈
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:21 am Beckles surprises me. Local lad, 31 so last contract, presumably opportunity for something coaching wise after football here. Maybe we've only offered 1 or 2 years when he wants 2 or 3?

Vigaro will be the biggest loss. We will be able to find someone as good at the goalkeeping bit easily enough but there aren't many as good with the ball at their feet which is crucial to how Wellens sets us up.
Vigs said in an interview that he loves living in London so I hope that works in our favour . Beckles is a local lad and has family in the area so would be a bit surprised if he left . I think Happe will stay for the reason stated one or two posts above . The only one I'm not confident about is Smyth .
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Players come and go, that’s just how it works. Our recruitment has been good in recent years, so I’m not concerned.
Vigs - be sad to see him go, but he’s replaceable
Becks- honestly not bothered, I feel L1 is a bridge too far for him
Smyth- love to see him stay, his goals are something else. But, as noted, he needs to be wrapped in cotton wool and nursed through a season.

If they go, then we’ve got a chance to build an even better team.
In Ritchie and Lingy we trust.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Having listened to Ling on the AGM recording, I find his confidence and experience comforting. He seems on top of it all, no doubt with RW at his shoulder supporting him.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 am Strange that a couple have signed straight away? ...
Why is it strange?

Everyone is different
Everyone's circumstances and priorities are different.

Is it strange that people on here have different jobs, oir make different decisions?
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

spen666 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:53 am
Monkey Boy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 am Strange that a couple have signed straight away? ...
Why is it strange?

Everyone is different
Everyone's circumstances and priorities are different.

Is it strange that people on here have different jobs, oir make different decisions?
Yes I suppose you do have a point 🙊
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Monkey Boy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 am Strange that a couple have signed straight away?
Not strange at all - I would expect the players who haven't signed yet to have a lot more interest in them than either Pratley or Brown.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I hope once Saturdays 'cut off point' has passed, we will forget those who have been offered contracts, but not yet accepted them.....they've had long enough, and start getting their replacements in the building.

If the non contract signers think they can do better elsewhere, then let them.

Smyth going would be a wrench, he's the best player we've ever had, but the rest, Im not bothered.

After a while they might regret not signing for the O's

Ive lost patience with them now......SIGN OR GO
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

May
- Speculate about completely unattainable players ('Andy Carroll's available on a free'; 'Why aren't we bidding £1m for Macauley Langstaff?')
- Moan about Ling taking a holiday and not signing players NOW NOW NOW

June
<---YOU ARE HERE
- Lose Smyth and Vigoroux to bigger clubs --> Blame Ling
- Release out of contract / not retained players
- "We only have 4 contracted players....PANICCCCCC!"
- PoundhillO is forced to buy new P, O and E keys for his keyboard after typing "proven, experienced players from League 1 or above!" so many times

July
- Sign 22 yr old striker with 1 goal in 23 apps from a Championship side --> instantly write him off as crap
- Sign winger with papier mache legs who's made 11 appearances over last 2 seasons
- Sign generic donkey centre back from any Northern team
- Pre-season W1 D2 L1 F6 A7 --> "We're crap...PANICCCC!"
- Blame Ling

Early August
- Sign an actual good midfielder two days before the first game of the season - who's coming back from a groin injury and not match fit
- Loan a 17 year old midfielder from the Premier League destined to make one Papa John's Trophy appearance
- 'Pretty decent off-season, all told; I fancy us as dark horses for the playoffs'
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

I read that Vigoroux was away on honeymoon 🤔
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

BIGRON wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:38 am I read that Vigoroux was away on honeymoon 🤔
That's fair enough but I trust he owns a mobile phone . Just ring the club from abroad and tell us his decision . If he wants to stay , fantastic news but if he wants to leave start looking for his replacement .
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

BIGRON wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:38 am I read that Vigoroux was away on honeymoon 🤔
he is
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:08 am
Monkey Boy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 am Strange that a couple have signed straight away?
Not strange at all - I would expect the players who haven't signed yet to have a lot more interest in them than either Pratley or Brown.
Maybe they put that out as to prompt some other players to sign? I would agree about Pratley but I regard Brown a far better prospect and given a decent run in the team and played in the right position could become a valuable asset 🙊
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Would be really surprised if Beckles went. He seems perfectly set up here and I don't think he's gonna find a club above our level, as good as he's been. Solid league 1 seems about right for him.

Vigs and Smyth were our best players last season and I wouldn't be surprised, and definitely begrudge them, if they went elsewhere. It's a short career and both have been brilliant for us.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

I would be a bit peed off if Smyth went. His injury record was shocking before he come to us (still is to some extent). We gave him the opportunity to kick start his career. He could pay us back by giving us one more season especially as we are now a league one side. If we had stayed in league two then you could understand.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Mistadobalina wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:47 am Would be really surprised if Beckles went. He seems perfectly set up here and I don't think he's gonna find a club above our level, as good as he's been. Solid league 1 seems about right for him.
100% agree. But as you say elsewhere, it's a short career, and money talks. There are clubs lower down the pyramid who are splashing the cash...
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Of the 4 the biggest loss would be Vigs, he's been at a consistently high level his entire time at the club.

It's not so much the fact of replacing players, rather the fact the entire spine of the team may end up needing to be replaced in addition to the 5 or so RW was planning on.

Would be happy (pun intended) getting Ed Turns back to replace Happe if he goes

Worst case scenario...

New GK x2
CBs x2
CDMs x2
CAM x1
LW& RW x2 (Smith & Sadlier positions)
ST x2
Last edited by gshaw on Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

I've heard Ebsfleet are making an announcement on Monday.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

Beradogs wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:10 pm I would be a bit peed off if Smyth went. His injury record was shocking before he come to us (still is to some extent). We gave him the opportunity to kick start his career. He could pay us back by giving us one more season especially as we are now a league one side. If we had stayed in league two then you could understand.
He should stay . RW has nursed him throughout the season . Cannot see how any other manager would do the same.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

gshaw wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:01 pm Of the 4 the biggest loss would be Vigs, he's been at a consistently high level his entire time at the club.

It's not so much the fact of replacing players, rather the fact the entire spine of the team may end up needing to be replaced in addition to the 5 or so RW was planning on.

Worst case scenario...

New GK x2
CBs x2
CDMs x2
CAM x1
ST x2
What about Sweeney he could be a surprise package next season
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

moonwalk19 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:16 pm
gshaw wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:01 pm Of the 4 the biggest loss would be Vigs, he's been at a consistently high level his entire time at the club.

Worst case scenario...

New GK x2
CBs x2
CDMs x2
CAM x1
ST x2
What about Sweeney he could be a surprise package next season
but for which Club?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:10 am I hope once Saturdays 'cut off point' has passed, we will forget those who have been offered contracts, but not yet accepted them.....they've had long enough, and start getting their replacements in the building.

If the non contract signers think they can do better elsewhere, then let them.

Smyth going would be a wrench, he's the best player we've ever had, but the rest, Im not bothered.

After a while they might regret not signing for the O's

Ive lost patience with them now......SIGN OR GO
Paul Smyth isnt close to being the Best Player weve ever had !