Might as well get it out of our systems: what is an acceptable finish next season?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Might as well get it out of our systems: what is an acceptable finish next season?

Post by Wally Banter »

Let's calibrate everyone's expectations for our first season back in League 1.

Just glancing at the teams comprising League 1 next year, I've got to assume that we're firmly bottom half in terms of budget size. Equally I don't see many financial minnows whom we should automatically expect to outperform. For me, it would be an acceptable (though obviously not very enjoyable) outcome if we simply steered clear of relegation troubles.

I suppose that would only feel acceptable,though, if we could see some encouraging signs for the next season - e.g. a good core group of contracted players, a happy Wellens, a clear philosophy for how we'll play, better players signing in each transfer window.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Might as well get it out of our systems: what is an acceptable finish next season?

Post by tuffers#1 »

Champions is very acceptable :lofc:
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Might as well get it out of our systems: what is an acceptable finish next season?

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Sort of depends on new contracts and recruitment. But at a higher level, I’ll be happy to avoid relegation. If we are still in league one next year I’ll be happy. Ideal a nice cup run and firmly
Mid table where we aren’t fighting for our lives all season.

Saying all of that, expectations could change quickly. We’ve got a bit of lightning in a bottle atm and you do often see teams that go up from league two are still flying the following season, regardless of budget. If we keep the bulk of the group together and Richie is at the helm I wouldn’t be surprised if we are in the top ten and potentially challenging for the playoffs.

Honestly though, a season against some big teams, at semi decent grounds where we are competitive and hard working is enough for me
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Automatic promotion. Anything else and the season ticket book gets ripped up and binned. Nige and Kent youse have been warned.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

15th
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Promotion
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:14 am Sort of depends on new contracts and recruitment. But at a higher level, I’ll be happy to avoid relegation. If we are still in league one next year I’ll be happy. Ideal a nice cup run and firmly
Mid table where we aren’t fighting for our lives all season.

Saying all of that, expectations could change quickly. We’ve got a bit of lightning in a bottle atm and you do often see teams that go up from league two are still flying the following season, regardless of budget. If we keep the bulk of the group together and Richie is at the helm I wouldn’t be surprised if we are in the top ten and potentially challenging for the playoffs.

Honestly though, a season against some big teams, at semi decent grounds where we are competitive and hard working is enough for me
Agree with that. A midtable finish shouldn't be sniffed at, we spent years trying to establish ourselves at league 1 last time around.

What I would hope is that we begin to show a bit more imagination recruitment wise. We're never going to be competitive budget wise with the top teams in league 1 so we'll need to be a bit more canny in the transfer market. The model we'd ideally develop is something like Peterborough and seeing value where others don't, and being able to develop those players to sell for big fees.

Easier said than done but if the ownership are talking about Brighton and Brentford as clubs they're looking at for growing Orient, then this will be an essential part of it. For a team that dominated league 2 last season, we don't have many players with a high resale value and that'd need to change if we're to over achieve. Interested to see how Ling adapts to being at a higher level..
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

We'll do a lot better than we did in 2006/7 - the situations aren't that similar at all. We dominated League Two this year - and we have far more ambitious owners, and a Manager whose best years are still in front of him.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Survival is a realistic target for next season.

For what it’s worth I genuinely think that Stevenage will be going straight back down to League 2.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Anywhere above the bottom 4 is a bonus.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Impossible to say until we see who stays and what our recruitment is like. If we keep El Mizouni, Vigs and Smyth add a couple of good signings, we can make the play offs comfortably. Lose those 3, add in a couple of poor signings, lose the manager half way through the season, we can do a forest Green.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

Happy if we stay up. My thoughts are the same before every season.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Beradogs wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:37 am Impossible to say until we see who stays and what our recruitment is like. If we keep El Mizouni, Vigs and Smyth add a couple of good signings, we can make the play offs comfortably. Lose those 3, add in a couple of poor signings, lose the manager half way through the season, we can do a forest Green.
Bang on dogs, but not sure about the playoffs? Plus holding on to Wellens 🙈
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

The first aim following promotion is to stay up and establish oneself in the league above, and I believe we should be well capable of doing that.

OK so we don’t know the squad yet, but based on what happened last summer under RW I think he’ll get a decent squad together.

I’d be happy with mid-table, anything more a bonus.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Mid table would be great, anything from 12th to 18th.
RBMarshall
Fresh Alias

Post by RBMarshall »

Purely based on my own selfishness and the time and money I put in supporting this club. My minimum level expected would be to still be able to make the play offs with 3 games to go. Anything less would seem too much like "old Orient"
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

RW has said that he wants the team to play a certain way. Doing this may mean we are 18th, when we could have finished 10th playing a different style, but he is about building for the next level.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

I reckon we should be able to manage something approaching mid-table.....
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

So many with the "Little Leyton Orient" mentality. Gie yersels a shake.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Never mind next season. If we don't win every pre-season friendly I'll be burning my season ticket and posting the ashes back to the owners.
Reflecto
Fresh Alias

Post by Reflecto »

The board will be saying solid mid-table consolidation, knowing/believing that you need the 3 year plan to get close to promotion.

RW will make agreeable noises, but he will be saying to the players (hopefully mostly from this season plus some good additions) - "let's go for it again!" - especially if we have a solid or better start to the campaign.

We do have an exceptionally good manager - and if I was NT/KT/ML - I'd go for it whilst he is onboard. What are the worst-case scenario(s) - a) we make the playoffs and fail to win them or b) if we go up and then we have a season of struggle!
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Lower middle
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I know Richie would probably want another promotion again and of course I wouldn't say no . Personally though I would be happy enough with a mid table finish . All I'm looking for next season is consolidation as a League 1 club . Anything else would be a bonus .
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

banqo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:01 pm Mid table would be great, anything from 12th to 18th.
This will do me and Mrs NES.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

All depends on which players we have. If Smyth, Vigs & El Miz sign, with a couple of new signings, i reckon a play off place is calling.
We'll have see who's here in early August