Travis & Teague

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Travis & Teague

Post by EastDerehamO »

I remember walking to the car from a Norwich pub post a work’s do in the summer of 2017, when two mates simultaneously texted me that Nigel Travis had taken over, with Kent Teague of course, and I just had the instinctive feeling from the devil we’d got the Messiahs and that everything would be ok – and so it has proved.

Massive thanks and respect to both of them. I never had any doubt about Nigel, Kent was an unknown factor, but how superb he has been too. They have transformed this club from the wreck they inherited and near oblivion, aided of course by many others as well, but the whole structure and spirit comes from the top down.

Getting us back into the EFL within two seasons was a remarkable achievement. There have been challenges, there has been tragedy - Justin Edinburgh will forever be in our hearts – there’s been mistakes too, but from the moment Richie Wellens walked through the door the change was instant, and he joins the list of O’s legends who have led us up. Well done everyone!
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Travis & Teague

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

It’s a near miracle what they’ve done considering how close we were to winding up not that long ago. Yes, they’ve thrown money at it which is a major factor, but they’ve also built a culture that has aligned everyone associated with the club. I haven’t always agreed with decisions, or recruitment, but they’ve done it in and open way and have been open to scrutiny and admitted mistakes.

A little look at me, look at me (pathetic) story.
About a month after the takeover, I got to interview Kent. He’s obviously charismatic and charming which came across in the interview. But when we were finished he asked us if we had dinner plans and bought us a slap up fish and chips in the technical. I think he was actually after a bit of company, being a long way from home in an unfamiliar place. We chatted about loads of stuff but one thing stood out. He asked us what advice we’d give him in being successful at this club. It threw me tbh. This multi millionaire asking for advice. He meant it too and showed me that he wanted to learn, that he was humble. I think I told him to try to block out fans moaning (lol) and some other guff but I knew we were in good hands.

I hope that completing their initial goal doesn’t mean they step back, but if they do then they’ve earnt it.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

EastDerehamO wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:57 am
Getting us back into the EFL within two seasons was a remarkable achievement. There have been challenges, there has been tragedy - Justin Edinburgh will forever be in our hearts – there’s been mistakes too, but from the moment willy Wellens walked through the door the change was instant, and he joins the list of O’s legends who have led us up. Well done everyone!
Nicely put!👍
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Great post, EDO, I'm 100% sure that everyone on this board agrees with that. :lofc:
CEB

Post by CEB »

OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:12 am It’s a near miracle what they’ve done considering how close we were to winding up not that long ago. Yes, they’ve thrown money at it which is a major factor, but they’ve also built a culture that has aligned everyone associated with the club. I haven’t always agreed with decisions, or recruitment, but they’ve done it in and open way and have been open to scrutiny and admitted mistakes.

About a month after the takeover, I got to interview Kent. He’s obviously charismatic and charming which came across in the interview. But when we were finished he asked us if we had dinner plans and bought us a slap up fish and chips in the technical. I think he was actually after a bit of company, being a long way from home in an unfamiliar place. We chatted about loads of stuff but one thing stood out. He asked us what advice we’d give him in being successful at this club. It threw me tbh. This multi millionaire asking for advice. He meant it too and showed me that he wanted to learn, that he was humble. I think I told him to try to block out fans moaning (lol) and some other guff but I knew we were in good hands.

I hope that completing their initial goal doesn’t mean they step back, but if they do then they’ve earnt it.
OTF photography taking credit for the promotion…
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Truly a miracle what £20m can buy.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:45 am Truly a miracle what £20m can buy.
Let's hope they have another 20 mill in their back bin. We are going to need at least that to get to the Prem.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Another thread about how plucky Leyton Orient got promoted after spending no money
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Kent made himself even more of a legend last night.

As is his way, he was in the stands so tahts nothing unusual, but he objected to the way in which the stewards were handling O's fans. He marched down to the front and sought out the head steward and marched him back into the middle of the crowd. At this point stewards had alerted others any they all came running as if Kent had hit someone!

Top man IMO
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Fantastic to see that all their efforts, and some money of course have borne fruit with a well deserved promotion to League One.
It’s a team effort of course and for all his haters Martin Ling has brought in some good players under KJ, and Richie has added to that since he’s been here and ‘glued’ the various parts of the team together.
It’s gonna be an exciting summer preparing for some big teams with big followings who will need to be accommodated somehow in the small space that we currently have in the East Stand.
I reckon season ticket holders in the East May have to move a few times.
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:51 am Another thread about how plucky Leyton Orient got promoted after spending no money
No one asked you, this is about Orient supporters, go and play with your toys till mummy gets your lunch.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:51 am Another thread about how plucky Leyton Orient got promoted after spending no money
Think we have pretty recent precedent for chucking a boat load of money at a club not guaranteeing success.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:45 am Truly a miracle what £20m can buy.
Sums this message board up perfectly. Some fans making cynical remarks about any money spent, others complaining that they are millionaires and why aren't we buying more strikers. The one thing I do know is that we abide by the financial rules and have great owners.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

CEB wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:41 am
OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:12 am It’s a near miracle what they’ve done considering how close we were to winding up not that long ago. Yes, they’ve thrown money at it which is a major factor, but they’ve also built a culture that has aligned everyone associated with the club. I haven’t always agreed with decisions, or recruitment, but they’ve done it in and open way and have been open to scrutiny and admitted mistakes.

OTF photography taking credit for the promotion…
We’ve all played our part. Some more than others…
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:12 am I think I told him to try to block out fans moaning (lol)
So that's why he ignores my weekly emailed rant? :(((
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Hard to find the words to express my pleasure and gratitude for T&T saving my beloved Orient and turning them into a successful football club. They and so many other people have made the O's a wonderful club. It's not just the millions invested, it's enthusiasm, passion, drive, wanting success and making players and staff feel good to be here. You just know that league 1 is not the ultimate goal, but losing the 'little Orient' has been a goal from which we have emerged. Thank you one and all, and especially T&T.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

They've managed to retain and build upon what's good about the club whilst being unapologetically ambitious. Think about Hearn's guff about getting to the premiership Vs what they've done, which is set a challenging but realistic target which they have met. They deserve an immense amount of credit and Teague in particular seems to "get" football on an emotional level.

Teague's comment in that Times interview about him and Travis discussing stepping back was a little bit worrying to that end, but you have to hope they have enough sense about them to bring in new investment from a person/people with a similar ethos.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

I’d love for them to share their new plan for the next 5-10 years.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

They've given hints of it before - stabilise in league 1, improve the academy, building a new training ground and have a concrete proposal for addressing the capacity issue (which has never been an issue in my time as an Orient fan and might be the biggest testament to what they've done).

Given his experience in getting the Brentford new stadium proposals off the ground, Devlin's appointment to me is a clear indication we're looking at sites for moving and the public comments about there being nowhere in Waltham Forest, not something we're looking at etc is a way of keeping cards close to chest. They won't have the money or data smarts of Brentford or Brighton, but those two clubs have shown it's possible to take a small little club and build something sustainable at a higher level.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

The best one is how it can only happen to Leyton Orient. You know like when the lights went out last night, Dave saying it can only happen to Leyton Orient. Well for starters it also happened to Gillingham. Or when we go up because of results elsewhere. Dave and his mate again, It can only happen to Leyton Orient. That literally must have happened to every club in the football league as some point. 2 promotions in 5 years. It can only happen….Shut up.. shhhhhuuuuutttt uppppppppp
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Beradogs wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:42 pm
The best one is how it can only happen to Leyton Orient. You know like when the lights went out last night, Dave saying it can only happen to Leyton Orient. Well for starters it also happened to Gillingham. Or when we go up because of results elsewhere. Dave and his mate again, It can only happen to Leyton Orient. That literally must have happened to every club in the football league as some point. 2 promotions in 5 years. It can only happen….Shut up.. shhhhhuuuuutttt uppppppppp
So you are flat out denying we are cursed. What was Bechetti and Hearn then?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:07 am
Sums this message board up perfectly. Some fans making cynical remarks about any money spent, others complaining that they are millionaires and why aren't we buying more strikers. The one thing I do know is that we abide by the financial rules and have great owners.
Nothing wrong with the money. They invested well and they’re great owners. Just don’t pretend they didn’t spend a lot of money to go up or Orient’s money is somehow better or more worthy than someone elses.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Beradogs wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:42 pm
Funnily enough, I went last night and it was the 2nd time its happened at a game I’ve been at. The other was United vs West Ham.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

B.whitehouse+10more wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:02 am
No one asked you, this is about Orient supporters, go and play with your toys till mummy gets your lunch.
Who made you Orient spokesman?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:12 pm
Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:07 am
Nothing wrong with the money. They invested well and they’re great owners. Just don’t pretend they didn’t spend a lot of money to go up or Orient’s money is somehow better or more worthy than someone elses.
Indeed, ask most NL clubs and they'll say Orient bought the league. We spent big for that level and we had to, getting out of there quickly was priceless.

This season again we're told there's a top 6 or perhaps higher budget. It's been generally well spent (Georgiou and Lyden excepted).

Someone said it on here previously, a good budget with quality manager will more often than not being success. With RW we have an exceptional one.