Astigmatism/mood

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Astigmatism/mood

Post by CEB »

The other week I got a football smashed into my eye while still trying to play in goal in my forties. Second such injury in three years. Had a dark spot in bottom of vision for a week, the dark/sightless patch was still there at night for two weeks.
Anyway, went to optician & doctor. Optician found a haemorrhage in the eye, but said it’d probably go away by itself - it did. But he also did me a thorough eye test, which I’d not had since, maybe secondary school?
Diagnosed me with astigmatism, prescribed some glasses which arrived a couple of days ago.
I’d not quite realised how much I squint - full on screwing up for things far away, but a subtle constant squint that I’d barely been aware of. Anyway, my “grumpy” comment on the death thread just now made me realise - without glasses I’ve got a constant frown, and constantly have an expression of irritation. Main thing I’ve noticed since getting glasses is my face relaxes totally, and it sort of impacts on feeling generally more relaxed. Also my wife seems to not be like “what’s up?” cos of looking irritated.
Has anyone else found that a relatively trivial thing has a much bigger impact once resolved? I genuinely think that being able to see properly without straining has improved my well-being/mood in a way that I normally associate with an exercise regime and knocking drinking on the head
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Astigmatism/mood

Post by Dunners »

CEB wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 am I’d not quite realised how much I squint
Did all the "piggy-eyed" comments not at least make you think?
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Dunners wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:47 am
CEB wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 am I’d not quite realised how much I squint
Did all the "piggy-eyed" comments not at least make you think?

Genuinely, yes, when the guy asked me about my vision :lol:
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Not strictly related but years ago walking from the tube to work I used to practice smiling to help me face up to the hell that was other people waiting for me in the office crying out for assistance, guidance and wise words.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

We need Off back on here to put your claims to the test.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:54 am We need Off back on here to put your claims to the test.

Ah, OFF - a fellow full of character, to be sure!
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

For years I thought it was "a stigmatism" rather than "astigmatism". Fun fact.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:26 am For years I thought it was "a stigmatism" rather than "astigmatism". Fun fact.
Wait. What?
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

CEB wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 am The other week I got a football smashed into my eye while still trying to play in goal in my forties. Second such injury in three years. Had a dark spot in bottom of vision for a week, the dark/sightless patch was still there at night for two weeks.
Anyway, went to optician & doctor. Optician found a haemorrhage in the eye, but said it’d probably go away by itself - it did. But he also did me a thorough eye test, which I’d not had since, maybe secondary school?
Diagnosed me with astigmatism, prescribed some glasses which arrived a couple of days ago.
I’d not quite realised how much I squint - full on screwing up for things far away, but a subtle constant squint that I’d barely been aware of. Anyway, my “grumpy” comment on the death thread just now made me realise - without glasses I’ve got a constant frown, and constantly have an expression of irritation. Main thing I’ve noticed since getting glasses is my face relaxes totally, and it sort of impacts on feeling generally more relaxed. Also my wife seems to not be like “what’s up?” cos of looking irritated.
Has anyone else found that a relatively trivial thing has a much bigger impact once resolved? I genuinely think that being able to see properly without straining has improved my well-being/mood in a way that I normally associate with an exercise regime and knocking drinking on the head
Did the glasses help? I was diagnosed with one about 10 years ago and the optician said glasses can't help with it.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Adz wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:30 pm
CEB wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 am The other week I got a football smashed into my eye while still trying to play in goal in my forties. Second such injury in three years. Had a dark spot in bottom of vision for a week, the dark/sightless patch was still there at night for two weeks.

Did the glasses help? I was diagnosed with one about 10 years ago and the optician said glasses can't help with it.

Immediate, massive difference for the better
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I have a mild astigmatism. Visions pretty good but for prescription glasses for when I’m working. Funnily enough, in the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed I’m squinting at my phone a bit or even closing one eye so I probably need to go back
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:36 pm I have a mild astigmatism. Visions pretty good but for prescription glasses for when I’m working. Funnily enough, in the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed I’m squinting at my phone a bit or even closing one eye so I probably need to go back

I find that this board improves massively when closing both eyes
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:26 am For years I thought it was "a stigmatism" rather than "astigmatism". Fun fact.
How old were you when you found this out?

I am 36!!
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:59 pm

I am 36!!
It’s probably worth getting checked out for it, you know. When I put my glasses on, objects in the distance came into focus like never before. It was amazing. Imagine how you’d feel if you got to see the tip of your nose in high resolution for the first time!
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Reported.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:59 pm

I am 36!!
You've known for 20 years and never shared this with us before?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

You’re closer than I was. Ffs.