Favourite Smiths Album

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Favourite Smiths Album

Post by Constanza »

What's yours?
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Favourite Smiths Album

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

Cheese and onion
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Who's the smith's ? , being an old fart I know nothing about music after the 80s
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Lolz
CharlieO
Fresh Alias

Post by CharlieO »

The eponymous first of course.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Their June 1986 Album
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Anything by The Smiths is genius. Along with The Undertones they are the greatest reunion not to happen .
LeighO
Fresh Alias

Post by LeighO »

The Jam?
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

I wasn’t a big fan of The Jam , but saw Paul Weller at Chelsea Barracks in the summer where he performed a number of Jam numbers. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Strangeways, Here We Come
Captain Zep
Fresh Alias

Post by Captain Zep »

The Quee... Hey wait a minute, I oughta...
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

George M wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:13 pm I wasn’t a big fan of The Jam , but saw Paul Weller at Chelsea Barracks in the summer where he performed a number of Jam numbers. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Cool story
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

TQID is, in my opinion, the weakest song on that album. It's too long with the instrumental sections doing little of interest.

What else is the internet for if it's not for expressing controversial opinions?
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

None of them.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Old Misery Guts was on fine form last night in Killarney. Even played Frankly Mr Shankly for the first time solo apparently.

The local health board should have provided free prostate examinations as never have so many 50-60 year old middle aged balding men been congregated in one area.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Dunners wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:26 am TQID is, in my opinion, the weakest song on that album. It's too long with the instrumental sections doing little of interest.

What else is the internet for if it's not for expressing controversial opinions?
It is a bit of a mess but....

"Charles, don't you ever crave
To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
Dressed in your mother's bridal veil?"

...is a great piece of writing which I have burst into many a time, not least because of recent events.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Constanza wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:21 pm Old Misery Guts was on fine form last night in Killarney. Even played Frankly Mr Shankly for the first time solo apparently.

The local health board should have provided free prostate examinations as never have so many 50-60 year old middle aged balding men been congregated in one area.
I'm going to the Brixton gig.

Interesting fact - his last gig at Wembley was the last night before lockdown (remember that?). I went and found that, staring into the pandemic abyss, the crowd were loving it.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Went Brixton last night.

First off, there are two things that seriously piss me off about a Morrissey gig:

1 - Considering his back catalogue, he never plays for more than 90 minutes. I'm not expecting a 3- or 4-hour Springsteen-style show, but surely 2 hours is pretty standard nowadays. Especially when you consider the price of tickets.

2 - The sound desk. Having dabbled in a bit of audio engineering back in my college days, I think the sound from the band is being fed through a master compressor at the mixing desk, which is set to flatten the musical accompaniment and bring Moz's vocals to the front so that they are clear and distinguishable. The problem with this is that the band sounds quiet in comparison and less immersive, so much so that you can hear conversations around you in the crowd. It's just not rock'n'roll, and at Brixton I'm used to my gigs being deafening.

Other than that, we were treated to five Smiths songs, some decent rare album/b-side tracks, and I thought the new stuff was sounding pretty good. Bonfire of Teenagers, in particular, may get a bit of a reaction. Rebel Without Applause sounds like it's the long-lost cousin of Cemetry Gates.

For a 63-year-old, he's still got his voice, and his last few albums (IMO) have been some of the best he's done.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Constanza wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:21 pm Old Misery Guts was on fine form last night in Killarney. Even played Frankly Mr Shankly for the first time solo apparently.

Never gone Millwall away?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:39 am Went Brixton last night.

First off, there are two things that seriously piss me off about a Morrissey gig:

1 - Considering his back catalogue, he never plays for more than 90 minutes. I'm not expecting a 3- or 4-hour Springsteen-style show, but surely 2 hours is pretty standard nowadays. Especially when you consider the price of tickets.

2 - The sound desk. Having dabbled in a bit of audio engineering back in my college days, I think the sound from the band is being fed through a master compressor at the mixing desk, which is set to flatten the musical accompaniment and bring Moz's vocals to the front so that they are clear and distinguishable. The problem with this is that the band sounds quiet in comparison and less immersive, so much so that you can hear conversations around you in the crowd. It's just not rock'n'roll, and at Brixton I'm used to my gigs being deafening.

Other than that, we were treated to five Smiths songs, some decent rare album/b-side tracks, and I thought the new stuff was sounding pretty good. Bonfire of Teenagers, in particular, may get a bit of a reaction. Rebel Without Applause sounds like it's the long-lost cousin of Cemetry Gates.

For a 63-year-old, he's still got his voice, and his last few albums (IMO) have been some of the best he's done.
Did he do a nazi salute or anything like that?
Everbrite
Fresh Alias

Post by Everbrite »

I consider myself to be a musical connoisseur as such I appreciate Petula Clarke, she cannot hold a candle to the Rolling Stones tho.
Regards Tony.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:46 am
Dunners wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:39 am Went Brixton last night.

Did he do a nazi salute or anything like that?
Not quite. But...

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Possibly the worst song ever written in the history of song writing.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Have to admit that is magnificent.
No problems with the sound in Killarney but us Irish are easily pleased.
Agree about the short set but he didn't want to outstay his welcome.
The voice is still great.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:30 pm Possibly the worst song ever written in the history of song writing.
Prefer this one