New York......Recommendations

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Un Corte Sobre
Fresh Alias

New York......Recommendations

Post by Un Corte Sobre »

Best Burger place

And any other personal recommendations - any food.

Cheers all.
Horient
Fresh Alias

Re: New York......Recommendations

Post by Horient »

I lived in West Village for 3 years and am back in NYC next week.

If you head to West Village try;

- Automatic Slims - beers
- Bayards Ale House - Beers and wings
- WXOU Radio - Bar - $5 beers. No food.
- Employees Only - Swanky Cocktail Bar with food
- Market Table
- Corner Bistro
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Hot dogs/Chilli dogs
Got to be better than burgers .
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

We went in March this year and couldn’t believe how expensive America had become.
USD6.00 for a cup of coffee ie £5 for a coffee…….maybe more now as the exchange rate then was 1.27
McDonalds for example for myself and my wife came to USD29 ie £25 for a average burger and chips.
Take plenty of spending money .
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Loads of really good places the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn bridge. Would recommend Grimaldis for pizza, it’s basically at the foot of the bridge and half the queue of Juliana’s which everyone seemed to go for.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

At the risk of incurring anti-vegan wrath, The Organic Grill is bloody lovely and I make a point if going there despite not being vegan.
It’s not the best burger place -it’s more functional for burgers, but Barcade is fun if you want to combine retro arcade games with a beer and a burger.
Apple Wumble is right about Brooklyn - I’ve been to six or seven really nice places there and not scratched the surface, that was about 4 years ago though so just check out reviews of local places and you won’t go wrong.
A walk along the high line is a must.
The Comedy Cellar is a really good night out, with decent bars around it, too. Their in house comedians are high standard, and you have a very good chance of a big name being on unannounced- I’ve seen Ray Romano and had a conversation with him where I told him I lived in Wood Green and he correctly immediately guessed that it differed greatly from what the name evokes…
Some of the major touristy things I’ve not done - personally I wouldn’t bother with the Statue of Liberty, and Times Square is just unpleasant.
If you’re going to do something where you want a good view, go for top of the rock rather than the Empire State Building - you can’t see the Empire State Building from the Empire State Building, and it’s also not that great inside.
The museums are all great. Can’t go wrong with that. Give yourself at least a day of just wandering though, it’s a great city to walk around
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

New York, New York, so good they named it twice. A favourite city of Mrs NES and we are going again in September. Walk around Central Park, it's great. Get the Gray Line tour bus and try and get the boat tour around Manhattan Island. But the NY accent is so strong they don't always understand our English. :lol:

Where to eat - most places. We stay at the Holiday Inn on W 57th St and there are multiple joints for breakfast, lunch, dinner and whenever you want to eat, within 10 mins walk.

Enjoy the city that never sleeps
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Haven't been for yonks, but always enjoyed the Rockefella Centre, not sure if they still have the ice rink there.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

John’s of Bleecker St is the best pizza.

If you can get out to Red Hook in Brooklyn, Steve’s key lime pies are very nice. There’s also a great little pub/bar around the corner called Sunny’s that’s very old (for American standards)
Un Corte Sobre
Fresh Alias

Post by Un Corte Sobre »

Great suggestions and thanks to everyone.

Keep them coming, any suggestions for anything in New York will be very well received!
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Depends whether you are going full glam, tourist or budget.

If you are a tourist then you have to do Katz deli. Its the place where the orgasm on "When Harry met Sally" took place and the walls are adorned with pictures of the famous people to have been to Katz.

I'd definitely walk from Times Sq all the way to the Staten Island ferry. You can take in various attractions on the day (Grand central, Empire state). You might want to ride the ferry but its a road to nowhere for a tourist. There's also a disused railway line walk that was interesting.

9/11 memorial & museum will take you back 20 years and remind you how sad it was.

Rockafeller center needs to be done, as has already been said.

Eating in NY is great. For me the best of the best is the River cafe under Brooklyn bridge. Expect to spend $500 for two and be thankful for change. A lot of money but a lifetime of memories.

It will be hot out there, so you might want to book a river speedboat. Its a massive speedboat and you get really wet. When its 90 farenheit you just don't care.

Whatever you do, I don't think you can fail to enjoy it.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

When are you going?
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

LittleMate wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:01 am Depends whether you are going full glam, tourist or budget.

If you are a tourist then you have to do Katz deli. Its the place where the orgasm on "When Harry met Sally" took place and the walls are adorned with pictures of the famous people to have been to Katz.

I'd definitely walk from Times Sq all the way to the Staten Island ferry. You can take in various attractions on the day (Grand central, Empire state). You might want to ride the ferry but its a road to nowhere for a tourist. There's also a disused railway line walk that was interesting.

9/11 memorial & museum will take you back 20 years and remind you how sad it was.

Eating in NY is great. For me the best of the best is the River cafe under Brooklyn bridge. Expect to spend $500 for two and be thankful for change. A lot of money but a lifetime of memories.

It will be hot out there, so you might want to book a river speedboat. Its a massive speedboat and you get really wet. When its 90 farenheit you just don't care.

Seconded on the River Cafe
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 am Hot dogs/Chilli dogs
Nathans Coney Island
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

CEB wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:39 pm
LittleMate wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:01 am Depends whether you are going full glam, tourist or budget.

Seconded on the River Cafe
Used this last post to explain why the River Cafe is worth it. The place is a floating barge/pontoon almost directly under the Brooklyn Bridge and next to what used to be the square that was part of the opening credits of Friends, where it shows Manhattan in the background. The view from the cafe is breathtaking, the ambience is first rate as is the food. I've eaten in some fantastic locations with wonderful views but if offered the choice I'd pick the River Cafe as the one I'd return back to (again as I've eaten there a couple of times already). My wife would agree with my view too - and its not often that happens.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I forgot in the above posting, take the Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park (bottom of Manhattan Island) to Staten Island, get off there and join the return trip. Best views of the Statue of Liberty and it's a free ferry if I remember rightly.

Also, the 9/11 Museum and St.Pauls Chapel nearby, which served as a refuge and everything else for the rescuers/workers after 9/11. Not one window was broken that fateful day. And if seeing the names of those who died doesn't bring a lump to your throat, nothing will. It's all very very moving in the opinion of Mrs NES and I.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Haven't been but when I do I will base my trip around walking tours of Seinfeld, Sopranos and Sex and the City.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Amateur night at the Apollo.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

Go to Ellis Island. Puts the idea of the land of the free to bed. Great museum and hauntingly interesting and thought provoking.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Further to my post above about how expensive everything is,
Well worth a visit to the 9/11 museum and surrounding area…………also Grand Central Station, especially if you’re a film fan as it’s been used in loads of movies.
We found Time Square very tacky and full of crazy drugged up people trying to sell over priced bus tours.
We used the subway and had no problems, it’s certainly the cheapest way of getting around the city.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Out there next month myself. Flying into Phili, doing DC and was only going to pass through NY. Didn’t care much for it when in my 20s - will reconsider now. Cheers all.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Omygawd wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:42 pm Go to Ellis Island. Puts the idea of the land of the free to bed. Great museum and hauntingly interesting and thought provoking.
Red Star Line museum in Antwerp tells the story from this side of the Atlantic.
Guessing the details are very similar and as you say thought provoking.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CEB wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:39 pm Seconded on the River Cafe
Blimey! Who'd have thunk that sketches of Katie Perry paid so well?
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

10 years since I was in NYC but Statue of Liberty plus the boat ride and views of the skyline is brilliant. 9/11 plus St Paul's has to .be a must. Loved Grant's tomb and N'yarkers turning out on Sunday afternoon in Central Park.
LeighO
Fresh Alias

Post by LeighO »

tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:43 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 am Hot dogs/Chilli dogs
Nathans Coney Island
One of the biggest disappointments of my life.
Loved Coney but nothing special about Nathan’s.