Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lucky7 »

85% of new cases in the last 24 hours are mainly in Europe and USA Oh and Donald Trumpton has just announced he wants the US economy up and running soon
Bizzare man
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 am My wife's cousin went surfing for 3 months in Sri Lanka's and he can't get back. His flights been cancelled. Trying to work out what happens next.
Can't see the problem. He's got his own transport to hand. He just needs to get paddling.
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

Lucky7 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:55 am BBC reporting a retirement home in Spain where residents where found abandoned either dead or seriously ill from the corona virus

Heartbreaking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52014023
WTF
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 am My wife's cousin went surfing for 3 months in Sri Lanka's and he can't get back. His flights been cancelled. Trying to work out what happens next.
He gets to be really good at surfing?
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Getting people home from Australia and New Zealand is proving to be a nightmare.

Not least because airlines such as Emirates, Qantas, Singapore Airlines and Virgin have cancelled so many flights (even before transitting became a problem). Basically, it's down to money - Emirates, for example, seem to diverting their attention to freight - as they don't want to fly to the UK and return to their hub in Dubai, with empty seats. Just to add that many of these flights that have been cancelled were amendments that have cost us, and other British Travel Agents, additional thousands of pounds, in an attempt to get people home. So they've basically copped double the fare and left people stranded. Utterly despicable company!

When we hopefully get back to any sort of normality, my company will be using British Airways; to help their (predominantly) British workers. Emirates, in particular, are an utter disgrace - and we certainly will be cancelling our contract and won't be using them again.

Meanwhile, the British Commonwealth Offices are proving to be as much use as eunuchs in a brothel. New Zealand and Australian Embassies are just diverting people to London, who appear to be utterly clueless as to what to do next. They aren't even taking people's contact details in the (highly likely) event of Repatriation.

FFS.....why doesn't ANYONE want to take responsibility these days! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

My next door neighbours were in tenerife and had to stay an extra week until they could be brought back. The last place I'd want to be right now is outside of this country.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

NuneatonO's wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm Getting people home from Australia and New Zealand is proving to be a nightmare.

Not least because airlines such as Emirates, Qantas, Singapore Airlines and Virgin have cancelled so many flights (even before transitting became a problem). Basically, it's down to money - Emirates, for example, seem to diverting their attention to freight - as they don't want to fly to the UK and return to their hub in Dubai, with empty seats. Just to add that many of these flights that have been cancelled were amendments that have cost us, and other British Travel Agents, additional thousands of pounds, in an attempt to get people home. So they've basically copped double the fare and left people stranded. Utterly despicable company!

When we hopefully get back to any sort of normality, my company will be using British Airways; to help their (predominantly) British workers. Emirates, in particular, are an utter disgrace - and we certainly will be cancelling our contract and won't be using them again.

Meanwhile, the British Commonwealth Offices are proving to be as much use as eunuchs in a brothel. New Zealand and Australian Embassies are just diverting people to London, who appear to be utterly clueless as to what to do next. They aren't even taking people's contact details in the (highly likely) event of Repatriation.

FFS.....why doesn't ANYONE want to take responsibility these days! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Yo ! British planes for British workers.

Get a grip son.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:22 pm My next door neighbours were in tenerife and had to stay an extra week until they could be brought back. The last place I'd want to be right now is outside of this country.
Why?
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Was supposed to be going for a haircut yesterday but all local barbers/hairdressers are closed for foreseeable future. Thought I'd let Mrs C have a hack at it instead. I must admit that I'm rather impressed with my punkish new look even though I am 59
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

BoniO wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Thor wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:22 pm My next door neighbours were in tenerife and had to stay an extra week until they could be brought back. The last place I'd want to be right now is outside of this country.
Why?
I used to fly maybe 30 times a year and that metal tube is not enticing me to be on one right now. I wouldn't want to be apart from family at this time. I would want uncertainty in my life right now and not being able to affect my life wouldn't be nice right now. Also if I did fall ill I'd want to be with people I could communicate to, a system I trust knowing that my family would be close by me.
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

RoryRocks wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pm
Lucky7 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:55 am BBC reporting a retirement home in Spain where residents where found abandoned either dead or seriously ill from the corona virus

Heartbreaking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52014023
WTF
Just awful, heartbreaking and shameful. This pandemic is bringing out both the best and worst in humanity.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:52 pm
BoniO wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Why?
I used to fly maybe 30 times a year and that metal tube is not enticing me to be on one right now. I wouldn't want to be apart from family at this time. I would want uncertainty in my life right now and not being able to affect my life wouldn't be nice right now. Also if I did fall ill I'd want to be with people I could communicate to, a system I trust knowing that my family would be close by me.
Fair enough I guess. I'm in France at the moment and if travelling back I'll be driving so a different scenario to flying back with many others. However, the prospect of staying over here for a while doesn't worry me in the least. We've been in lockdown for around a week already and that's working out fine. Local shops and supermarkets are well organised and have all we need. The French health service is good - I've used it before - and I think I'd get as good service here as back in the UK. One of the saddest things I've read about people in the UK who are very ill with the virus is that they can't actually get to spend time with their family so not sure that's a plus. Also, if we came back to the UK now we wouldn't get to see any family or friends (nor would we wish to for fear of infecting them) because of lockdown and/or self isolation. I respect your choice of course, though as I say, being abroad isn't so bad either.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Sadiq Khan has been leaking from COBRA meetings he's been invited to for political gain

Hopefully this can be resolved and he desists as the Mayor should be present
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Celtient wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm Was supposed to be going for a haircut yesterday but all local barbers/hairdressers are closed for foreseeable future. Thought I'd let Mrs C have a hack at it instead. I must admit that I'm rather impressed with my punkish new look even though I am 59
🤣🤣 cheered me up that ....I badly need a crop but there's no way I'm letting my old lady near my hair , I'll go bald naturally when the time comes 🤣🤣
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Over 80 deaths today, a quarter at Northwick Park, London and almost another at Princess Alexandra in Harlow ☹
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

743 deaths in Italy, up on the past two days. Infections are down however.
Last edited by Smendrick Feaselberg on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Latest polling on govt measures

Support: 93% (76% strongly)
Oppose: 4%
Don't know: 3%
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

A girl i went to school with & works for the NHS has just posted that there are 144 in whipps x .

I know there are 50 + in e17 as well
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

If you want to check your local area
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

The Scandinavians have found a solution to paying the self-employed during this crisis. They're basing payments on individuals tax returns over the last three years

I assume this policy would be widely welcomed amongst the UK self employed given how honest they are when it comes to self assessment tax returns
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-52025918

I really dont understand people sometimes.Thickos.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:33 pm The Scandinavians have found a solution to paying the self-employed during this crisis. They're basing payments on individuals tax returns over the last three years

I assume this policy would be widely welcomed amongst the UK self employed given how honest they are when it comes to self assessment tax returns
I have no problem with that and its a good idea to average it. When do I get the free money?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Hearing rumours that owner-manager directors who struggle on a basic salary (topped up with dividends) aren’t going to be covered. Fuming. :evil:
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

NHS111 still says symptoms are dry cough and fever despite reports everywhere, including the press conference last night, that the symptoms are a lot more diverse.

I've got weird aches, bad back, both knees, one leg and opposite shoulder but like I've strained them rather than a general fluey ache. Temperature is hovering below 38 on my not great thermometer. I've got a not awful headache, some dried up bogeys in my nose and had a bad dose of the squits last week.

Clearly got something, and WHO list everything I have as a possible symptom but official advice looks like no need to stay home. Really don't want to be putting anyone at risk but don't want to be bailing out of work either. I'm sure loads of people trying to make the same call, some f*cking testing would be really appreciated.