Climate change.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Climate change.

Post by Real Al »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:22 pm Margaret Thatcher was a visionary on this. Her decision to close coal mines and start the transition to a cleaner form of energy was a master stroke 🎣
Although sending a belching taskforce to the South Atlantic wasn't great. Greta would have used sail and sent a galleon or two.

Littering the seabed with the Belgrano would be frowned upon now as well.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:22 pm Margaret Thatcher was a visionary on this. Her decision to close coal mines and start the transition to a cleaner form of energy was a master stroke 🎣
Lifting week old material from the prime minister is edgy as f*ck.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:43 pm
Lifting week old material from the prime minister is edgy as f*ck.
And you can tell I was being triple serious because I posted a fishing emoji
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Dunners wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:48 pm
Same with Trump. His America First strategy (which Biden appears to be continuing) will mean shorter supply chains and less reliance on overseas manufacturing, all of which will reduce CO2 emissions from international freight.
All well and good, Dunners, but didn't the ginger monkey open up all the coal mines again as soon as he got in to power?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Claiming an assist for that one
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Every news item I see indicates that it's a toss up whether it'll be Climate Change, some mutant Covid variant X, or the Taliban who get us first.

As far as Climate Change is concerned, it seems obvious that it's peoples' habits that need to change - eating, travelling, buying sh*t, throwing sh*t away, procreating and so on. Generally speaking, it's equally obvious that expecting people to just change these habits on their own is asking for a long wait. Letting people use the old "until they sort out China, I'm not changing a thing" retort (and similar), shows that relying on "personal responsibility" is just a waste of time we don't have. Employing "market forces" as a solution to problems largely caused by "the market" just isn't going to cut it in this instance, I'm afraid.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

The main way people will change is if there are better or cheaper alternatives.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:55 pm The main way people will change is if there are better or cheaper alternatives.
Agree completely. We decided to try to reduce our meat consumption - largely down to the effect on the environment. We used to eat meat every single day in one form or another, so we're trying to reduce that to only 4 days of the week.

We cook quite a bit with Quorn, and to be honest I find the Q fillets superior to chicken breast when making curries etc. They retain their succulence and texture far better than chicken - especially in a long cook.

LOOK AT ME - I'M SAVING THE PLANET THROUGH QUORN KORMA !
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:58 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:55 pm The main way people will change is if there are better or cheaper alternatives.
Agree completely. We decided to try to reduce our meat consumption - largely down to the effect on the environment. We used to eat meat every single day in one form or another, so we're trying to reduce that to only 4 days of the week.

We cook quite a bit with Quorn, and to be honest I find the Q fillets superior to chicken breast when making curries etc. They retain their succulence and texture far better than chicken - especially in a long cook.

Actually, on reflection, I don't agree completely.

"A" way that people will change will be if there are better or cheaper alternatives, but I think the MAIN way people will change has to be through government mandate or edict - assuming we ever get a government willing or able to do so.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

StillSpike wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Quorn is awful, my partner is vegetarian so we have vegetarian food fairly regularly and the alternative, alternative meat brands to Quorn have exploded.

Quorn relies too much on its name and the fact it was a pioneer.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Yeah - I don't like all the products they supply, but the fillets are great for the purpose I indicated. We've just discovered another product from a different supplier for sort of stir fry "beefy" strips - they are smashing.

The variety is getting better and we're happy to keep on experimenting. An interesting note is that nearly all our veggy dishes are facsimiles of meat dishes - we do make "non-meaty" veggy dishes, of course, but with most of them we're substituting a veg product for the meat element.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

If we can master carbon capture, theres no need for a lot of this right?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:15 pm Yeah - I don't like all the products they supply, but the fillets are great for the purpose I indicated. We've just discovered another product from a different supplier for sort of stir fry "beefy" strips - they are smashing.

The variety is getting better and we're happy to keep on experimenting. An interesting note is that nearly all our veggy dishes are facsimiles of meat dishes - we do make "non-meaty" veggy dishes, of course, but with most of them we're substituting a veg product for the meat element.
Have you considered using chick peas. Pound for pound, if the scientists are to be believed, they have more iron in them than chicken. Not sure about Quorn but as some sort of manufactured fungus I'm sure there will be health scares at some future point.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:03 am Does anyone else remember when Jeremy Corbyn said the U.K must declare a climate emergency in early 2019 and nobody listened? Once again Jeremy Corbyn was right.
Doubt he was the first to say it though.
Rather than spend trillions trying to reverse the result of the problem , why not spend less on the cause.
Overpopulation resulting in high consumerism
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

George wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:16 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:03 am Does anyone else remember when Jeremy Corbyn said the U.K must declare a climate emergency in early 2019 and nobody listened? Once again Jeremy Corbyn was right.
Rather than spend trillions trying to reverse the result of the problem , why not spend less on the cause.
High consumerism isn't caused by over population and did I state Jerry was the first to say it. No. So shut up.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:42 pm [quote=George post_id=220237 time=<a href="tel:1628619417">1628619417</a> user_id=1036]
[quote="Max B Gold" post_id=220136 time=<a href="tel:1628589820">1628589820</a> user_id=87]
Does anyone else remember when Jeremy Corbyn said the U.K must declare a climate emergency in early 2019 and nobody listened? Once again Jeremy Corbyn was right.
[/quote]

High consumerism isn't caused by over population and did I state Jerry was the first to say it. No. So shut up.

I didn’t say you did state that he was the first. I said he probably wasn’t. And , of course , high population, high consumption. Probably best you shut up

[/quote]
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

If only there was something happening at the moment that could help reduce the global population
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Never forget that we had all the scientific evidence we needed to act on global warming over 40 years ago, but the fossil fuel industry spent millions to spread disinformation and block climate action. Global warming isn’t a tragedy, it’s a crime.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

And despite that, you still decided to drive a car for a living
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Garlic Bug
Its the Future

Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

I am sleeping a lot easier now that I know Orient fans have got this topic well in hand.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Don’t worry. We will play snakes and ladders soon then you can join in.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:59 pm Garlic Bug
Its the Future

I wouldn't have a problem as long as it tastes OK. Crickets are alright, cockroach is disgusting
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:46 pm IMHO population growth has had minimal impact on climate change. What has had impact is what those humans are doing compared to those 120 years ago. All driving petrol/diesel cars and multiple flights per year. Forestation disappearing at a rate of knots. Everybody wants climate change reversed, but aren't prepared to make the sacrifices necessary. For example I would like an electric car, but wouldn't buy one today, if it can't easily get me to the North of England and back again. Bought a new gas boiler a few months back, now I find out the're a big no no. We need a Government prepared to introduce the unpalatable legislation necessary. Won't happen until the masses switch to green parties in droves instead of handfuls.
How can you believe that population growth has had a minimal impact on climate change. We are the drivers of climate change . It isnt that people are driving cars and taking multiple flights or forests disappearing . Its that too many people are driving cars and taking multiple flights ,
and forests are disappearing to make way for housing , palm oil plantations and cattle farms to feed the ever growing population.
There is a limit to the number of people this planet can sustain in a way that does not irreversibly damage the ecosytem . We passed that limit years ago and continue to do so without any thought to the consequences.

As for building regulations , these are in place for new builds . Each new warehouse that i am involved in must have , as a minimum.

1. Led lighting reducing energy use by 90%.
2. Automatic switching so that all lighting turns off when nobody in the room.
3. Showers so that people can cycle to work and shower before starting.
4. Renewables , usually solar panels.
5 . Electric vehicle chargers.
6. Air source heat pumps.
7. Reduced car park spaces to encourage public transport use or cycling / walking.
8. Properly insulated walls and windows to prevent heat loss.

These regulations have been in place for at least 15 years and are being added to regularly.