Alastair Campbell expelled from Labour Party

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Alastair Campbell expelled from Labour Party

Post by LittleMate »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:42 pm
Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm I think your right sid, I don’t think the public want a hard left party nor a hard right party either and I feel that the next election will be a war for the centre ground. Who holds that will win in my opinion.
:lol:

This is the worst analysis ever. The centre ground (right of centre, anyway) days are over. People are further left or right than they have ever been.
CoSYG, that's the sort of 1970's thinking that saw labour unelected for a generation. You cannot win an election unless a significant part of the centre ground is secured. You may be right in that the parties are farther left and right than they have ever been - but it does not apply to the people who tend to prefer the safe ground of the centre in the longer term.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

LittleMate wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:45 pm
Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm I think your right sid, I don’t think the public want a hard left party nor a hard right party either and I feel that the next election will be a war for the centre ground. Who holds that will win in my opinion.

This is the worst analysis ever. The centre ground (right of centre, anyway) days are over. People are further left or right than they have ever been.
CoSYG, that's the sort of 1970's thinking that saw labour unelected for a generation. You cannot win an election unless a significant part of the centre ground is secured. You may be right in that the parties are farther left and right than they have ever been - but it does not apply to the people who tend to prefer the safe ground of the centre in the longer term.
I don’t know if the parties are further apart or whether the extremist factions of left or right are just more vocal right now. But one thing is certain and that is the party that wins a GE has to appeal to the centre ground, whether that be left or right of centre. Blair and new Labour understood this and were successful.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 am

I don’t know if the parties are further apart or whether the extremist factions of left or right are just more vocal right now. But one thing is certain and that is the party that wins a GE has to appeal to the centre ground, whether that be left or right of centre. Blair and new Labour understood this and were successful.
Successful winning and successful in power. The Marxists can’t see that in their dreams of a return to a politick which has failed everywhere around the world.

The centre ground is the battlefield for sure where the level-headed ones are.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

like a drunk smashing furniture at a party, then demanding to know where the mess had come from :D

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/05/jeremy-c ... -elections
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 pm Yes, Heseltine is still a member of the Lords. I get that.

But what is Campbell? Just a rent a gob doing the rounds on tv putting the boot into the Labour Party. He’s a mere member of the party, no more, no less. If I boasted about voting for another party at an election, I’d expect to be kicked out of the party. Why is he any different?
He shouldn't be treated any different. Therefore I'm sure we'll soon see all the other members who have been boasting publicly about voting Green or Lib Dem (before polling closed) expelled too. Right?

f*** Campbell, but Labour sure do have this incredible knack for falling into every trap that is set for them.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:24 am like a drunk smashing furniture at a party, then demanding to know where the mess had come from :D

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/05/jeremy-c ... -elections
Now that is spin. Nor does it cover they way it was done. Like I’ve said before, nobody is criticising the punishment, same goes for Helaltine. But it was handled in a vindictive manner. The contrast between how the two expulsions were handled is the difference. If Campbell had been treated in the same way as Heseltine , expelled following a meeting, open for review, door left open to return etc, this story would be dead by now.

This appears like thugs taking the opportunity to kick someone they don’t like. Sadly typical of the current state of the party.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Dunners wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 am
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 pm Yes, Heseltine is still a member of the Lords. I get that.

But what is Campbell? Just a rent a gob doing the rounds on tv putting the boot into the Labour Party. He’s a mere member of the party, no more, no less. If I boasted about voting for another party at an election, I’d expect to be kicked out of the party. Why is he any different?
He shouldn't be treated any different. Therefore I'm sure we'll soon see all the other members who have been boasting publicly about voting Green or Lib Dem (before polling closed) expelled too. Right?

f*** Campbell, but Labour sure do have this incredible knack for falling into every trap that is set for them.
I imagine they’ll get round to them in due course.

I don’t see any way out of this trap or any of the other traps laid before them as part of operation chaos. Not saying Jezza is the shrewdest when it comes to these political games, of course, but I’m beginning to suspect he doesn’t give a sh*t anymore. And I don’t blame him.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 am

I don’t see any way out of this trap or any of the other traps laid before them as part of operation chaos. Not saying Jezza is the shrewdest when it comes to these political games, of course, but I’m beginning to suspect he doesn’t give a sh*t anymore. And I don’t blame him.
“..in due course…” You see, this is a problem. Throwing about the rule book in such situations never works out well, and will usually backfire, especially as inconsistencies and double-standards will always be apparent. Campbell would have been absolutely delighted when he got that email.

And Corbyn really does need to still be bothered by all of this. If he doesn’t then he is displaying a lack of resilience that will mark him as unfit for the job in the minds of the undecided voters whose opinions will make a difference.

Forget the idiots who completely fail to see through this Operation Chaos. They don’t matter, as they were never going to vote for Labour anyway (regardless of what they may say). But there will be a number of key voters in swing constituencies who may yet be convinced to vote for Labour. They will be smart enough to see a political and media hatchet job when they see one, and will be looking at the Tories and thinking “I’d rather not.”

But when they see such ineptitude, poor judgement and a lack of shrewdness, they will think that, regardless of his intentions, he will simply not be competent enough to deliver should he be given the opportunity. There could well be a GE this year, so their opinions really should matter to anyone who would like to see a Corbyn-led Labour government.

The Tories know they are in an absolute state, so their strategy (aided and abetted by their useful idiots in Labour) is to divide the Labour membership (anti-Semite-gate) and unnerve undecided swing voters. Whenever the odds of a GE increase we see an increase in activity for Operation Chaos. Corbyn’s team needs to act and nullify these tactics, whilst punching back hard with their own. Islamophobia-gate is potentially a worse crisis for the Tories than what Labour currently face, as they have been busy trying to win over Muslim voters in previously safe Labour constituencies to make up for the decline in their traditional core voter base.

It's time to fight hard, smart and dirty. And if Corbyn isn’t capable then, quite frankly, Labour will deserve what they get.

Having said all of that, I still think Corbyn may have peaked in the last GE anyway.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

I do not think Campbell was boasting about voting for a rival party; it was with regret.
Corbyn has got the whole Brexit strategy wrong in my view; I do not think he will be forgiven easily.
He is so undecided on many issues yet this decision seems mean and unnecessary.
Can not see him in Number 10.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

What gets me is the diversion this fiasco is causing. Many year of Brexit nonsense and we have terrible problems: no police, no social care, poor NHS service, poor help for under-priviledged students, poor roads, lousy transport infrastructure to name just a few of the Tories presents for us. Yet Corbyn gets all the wrong attention. He should be pointing the huge cost & diversion, this Brexit nonsense is causing & the whole project should be scrapped. Also I think a lot of people confuse Campbell with the notorious slippery Spin Doctor Lord Mandelson ( who despite his impecible family history ) was far more notorious than Campbell.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 am

Can you point me in the direction of one extremist policy that Labour have or had in their last election manifesto.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

I'm going with: 'no'.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Nationalising utilities.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:33 pm Nationalising utilities.
Polls show a substantial majority of the public are in favour of nationalizing the utilities. It makes sense really since access to heat, light and water at reasonable rates is a basic human right.

In addition it would be easier to implement Carbon reduction programmes if it was coordinated by one organisation on a national basis.

If a majority of the public are in agreement then the policy cannot be considered extreme.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

So if the majority of the public wanted to bring back hanging, and the Brexit Party put it in their manifesto, that wouldnt be extreme?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:02 pm So if the majority of the public wanted to bring back hanging, and the Brexit Party put it in their manifesto, that wouldnt be extreme?
Of course it would be extreme you can't go around hanging people just for wanting to remain in the EU.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Dunners wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:52 am

“..in due course…” You see, this is a problem. Throwing about the rule book in such situations never works out well, and will usually backfire, especially as inconsistencies and double-standards will always be apparent. Campbell would have been absolutely delighted when he got that email.

And Corbyn really does need to still be bothered by all of this. If he doesn’t then he is displaying a lack of resilience that will mark him as unfit for the job in the minds of the undecided voters whose opinions will make a difference.

Forget the idiots who completely fail to see through this Operation Chaos. They don’t matter, as they were never going to vote for Labour anyway (regardless of what they may say). But there will be a number of key voters in swing constituencies who may yet be convinced to vote for Labour. They will be smart enough to see a political and media hatchet job when they see one, and will be looking at the Tories and thinking “I’d rather not.”

But when they see such ineptitude, poor judgement and a lack of shrewdness, they will think that, regardless of his intentions, he will simply not be competent enough to deliver should he be given the opportunity. There could well be a GE this year, so their opinions really should matter to anyone who would like to see a Corbyn-led Labour government.

The Tories know they are in an absolute state, so their strategy (aided and abetted by their useful idiots in Labour) is to divide the Labour membership (anti-Semite-gate) and unnerve undecided swing voters. Whenever the odds of a GE increase we see an increase in activity for Operation Chaos. Corbyn’s team needs to act and nullify these tactics, whilst punching back hard with their own. Islamophobia-gate is potentially a worse crisis for the Tories than what Labour currently face, as they have been busy trying to win over Muslim voters in previously safe Labour constituencies to make up for the decline in their traditional core voter base.

It's time to fight hard, smart and dirty. And if Corbyn isn’t capable then, quite frankly, Labour will deserve what they get.

Having said all of that, I still think Corbyn may have peaked in the last GE anyway.
Whatever.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

admin wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:31 pm Timing not great on this one from Labour - although Campbell knew exactly what he was doing when revealing this information.
If I was a season ticket holder at a club who were utter poo poo and I decided to go to another clubs matches as I couldn't stand watching them lose every week, would I be thrown out of the supporters club or my season ticket cancelled
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:53 pm

Whatever.
f*** knows what happened there. Must have been hacked by Mistadobolina.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

point nine one eight wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:16 pm
admin wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:31 pm Timing not great on this one from Labour - although Campbell knew exactly what he was doing when revealing this information.
If I was a season ticket holder at a club who were utter sh*t and I decided to go to another clubs matches as I couldn't stand watching them lose every week, would I be thrown out of the supporters club or my season ticket cancelled
You do realise that your analogy bears no relationship to what’s happened?

Bar that, great post.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

admin wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:48 pm
If I was a season ticket holder at a club who were utter sh*t and I decided to go to another clubs matches as I couldn't stand watching them lose every week, would I be thrown out of the supporters club or my season ticket cancelled

Bar that, great post.
He's done nothing wrong just didn't like what they stood for on a particular subject, nothing in the rules says he has to agree with them on every subject
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:53 pm

Whatever.
😁

I don’t think there’s anyway he and his team can combat this onslaught. Whatever they did with Campbell, he was going to make this into a story. All they can do is keep plodding on and hope the public see it for what is it (doubtful, given how stupid we are) or step down and let them win.

Things are definitely changing so he might as well stick with it and see it through.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

point nine one eight wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:49 pm
admin wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Bar that, great post.
He's done nothing wrong just didn't like what they stood for on a particular subject, nothing in the rules says he has to agree with them on every subject
“A member of the Party who joins and/ or supports a political organisation other than an official Labour group or other unit of the Party, or supports any candidate who stands against an official Labour candidate, or publicly declares their intent to stand against a Labour candidate, shall automatically be ineligible to be or remain a Party member, subject to the provisions of Chapter 6.I.2 below of the disciplinary rules.”
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Hi, spen.
VeganO
Fresh Alias

Post by VeganO »

my take is that this expulsion is vindictive. It is not sensible to slavishly follow rules, every circumstance is different.
I am a member of the Labour Party, albeit an inactive one & not on the right of the party. It is a huge PR gaffe & particularly disappointing that Labour cannot behave like a grown up Party when the Tories are an utter juvenile & shambolic mess.
I don't like some of Campbell's views or his involvement in the Iraq conflict. I admire him on a personal level because of his honesty re his struggles with depression & the brilliant recent programme on the Beeb that he was involved in.
Cherie Blair has said she voted Lib Dem. I don't like her but she should not be expelled.

People have taken this action for tactical reasons & because Labour's EU policy is ambiguous & confusing & they unsurprisingly got a kicking at the polls. This confusion is down to Corbyn & most of the leadership.

Corbyn voted against the last Labour Government over 400 times. Loyalty is a moveable feast for him.

The expulsion is pathetic & needs to be reversed. It reflects badly on my Party.