New manager shortlist.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Byways1
Fresh Alias

Re: New manager shortlist.

Post by Byways1 »

eagwgw wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:00 pm No rush really.
We ain't gonna be promoted, or relegated. I'd rather take time.

Not much of a fan of Calderwood, there would be something similar to Ross that he is only in the job because of who he knows. If he had no connection to Ling, it would be quite uninspiring. His best days were a long time ago, and he took Cambridge from 22nd in December last year to 21st at the end of the season. Yes, he was dealt a bad hand, but equally you could argue that the same case is so here, so there isn't much evidence he could deliver improvements out of what he had to work with. With so many 2-year contract renewals I don't think there will be many changes in the summer.

The nagging feeling I get is that the priority is to protect the culture of the club. Important in some ways but I also think that potentially this could become a bit of a distraction in itself.

I do feel quite disappointed that there was no testimonial game for Justin, and this could have represented a time for the fans to say goodbye and that represents a cut-off, we have to move on.

He should have some permanent recognition at the club for sure, but I see stuff like putting pictures of him in the dressing room before games as a little unhelpful for a new man.
Strong rumour that Cambridge have been approached.
He ticks most of the boxes and the most important one is his a mate of Lings.
If we are going to have a DOF then they have to get on so this appointment would make sense.
No one will give a toss if he starts off well and we can see some improvement, if it goes the other way then that’s when the trouble will start.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Were either Davis or Edinburgh mates with Ling?
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:23 pm Were either Davis or Edinburgh mates with Ling?
Edinburgh and Ling went back years at Southend.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Byways1 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:27 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:23 pm Were either Davis or Edinburgh mates with Ling?
Knowing someone years ago is different to being mates.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:30 pm
Alright smart arse.They had a working relationship.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

So, over a week after Ross steps down. Ling has decided to approach Cambridge (if true). It’s good to know he’s been taking his role as DoF really seriously since appointing an “interim” coach. I don’t know which Ling is worse at their job
PedrOAllenO
Fresh Alias

Post by PedrOAllenO »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 pm So, over a week after Ross steps down. Ling has decided to approach Cambridge (if true). It’s good to know he’s been taking his role as DoF really seriously since appointing an “interim” coach. I don’t know which Ling is worse at their job
This is the same Ling that brought Bonne to the club. I can think of worse people to be picking a manager than the man who brought Justin Edinburgh to E10.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

PedrOAllenO wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 pm So, over a week after Ross steps down. Ling has decided to approach Cambridge (if true). It’s good to know he’s been taking his role as DoF really seriously since appointing an “interim” coach. I don’t know which Ling is worse at their job
This is the same Ling that brought Bonne to the club. I can think of worse people to be picking a manager than the man who brought Justin Edinburgh to E10.
For every Bonne and Edinburgh, there's an Alabi and Davis. He signed his sh*t son too. Picking Bonne and Edinburgh doesn't take away from the fact he's seemingly waited over a week to approach one of his mates.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 pm
PedrOAllenO wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 pm
For every Bonne and Edinburgh, there's an Alabi and Davis. He signed his sh*t son too. Picking Bonne and Edinburgh doesn't take away from the fact he's seemingly waited over a week to approach one of his mates.
Also if this is true it has cost the club unnecessary compensation.
Calderwood only signed a new 2 year contract on the 21st September.
I would imagine we will have to pay a years salary to get him out of that.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Byways1 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:46 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Alright smart arse.They had a working relationship.
It's far from being a smartarse. It's an important distinction. Someone being mates implies the job is being given because of friendship. Whereas there are tonnes of working relationships in a player or manager's career.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:57 pm
redintheface wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:55 pm Cambridge Utd coach Colin Calderwood has suddenly appeared in the betting @ 6/1.
This is getting worse.
Hi you gave good reasons for your choice re parkinson, was wondering why your not keen on Calderwood
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

The flip side is, why are people so keen?

It seems that a couple of people had a downer on Sol Campbell, because he 'only' got a win percentage of 28% at Macclesfield.

But then again, since taking over at Cambridge, Calderwood has got a win percentage of 29%, just a fraction bigger, yet his budget would have been far bigger than the one at Macclesfield.

In favour of Calderwood, he has got bags more experience than Campbell as manager in the League.... but all that experience was about 10 years ago now.

I am only really a fan of the personal connection thing if it gets us a player or manager who we wouldn't be able to get otherwise, I don't think that is the case here.

That is not to say I would not back Calderwood or Sol if they did get the job. I just think that if the list of criteria for the job as we did when we appointed Justin, neither of them would be at the top of it.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Campbell took over a team about to be relegated To the NL and kept them up. It’s not like he took over at a good team and did terribly.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Isn't all of this a pointless debate?

We as fans have no say over who is manager, so there is little point in getting into heated arguments over this topic. You have your preferences, he has his, but it doesn't matter whether you force, by your debating skills, others to agree with you, the only people with a say are the officials at Orient
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Byways1 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:43 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:33 pm Yep, waiting a little longer and getting the best candidate is clearly the most sensible plan.
One born every minute.
Waiting nearly 4 months now.
There's far more than one born every minute. Around 250 according to a recent source.

We haven't been waiting four months now given Embleton was clearly being given a chance to make the job permanent. And even with a shortlist of possible options availability changes (both in terms of candidates unavailable or now available).
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

For example, give it another week and Nathan Jones should be available.
Norman_S_ Fletcher
Fresh Alias

Post by Norman_S_ Fletcher »

When is the announcement due? Any ideas? This bloody rumour mill is going to implode soon.
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by faith1234 »

Not being bad but the hole jobi as a maybe shortlist for the managers job we need a experince manager jobi not good enought. If jobi gets the job then its a joke the only way jobi will het the job is to save the club money a cheap version
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

spen666 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:09 pm Isn't all of this a pointless debate?

We as fans have no say over who is manager, so there is little point in getting into heated arguments over this topic. You have your preferences, he has his, but it doesn't matter whether you force, by your debating skills, others to agree with you, the only people with a say are the officials at Orient
Not true. It is clear they read this board and have nothing but respect for the learned opinions which appear.

Apart from yours obviously.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

A good source has told me that Ian Hendon may be in the running for the job. He left his role at Ebbsfleet today. He says that he's not 100% Hendon leaving and the vacancy are linked, but that he wouldn't be surprised.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Red_Army wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:08 pm A good source has told me that Ian Hendon may be in the running for the job. He left his role at Ebbsfleet today. He says that he's not 100% Hendon leaving and the vacancy are linked, but that he wouldn't be surprised.
Jesus wept.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Eat The Rich wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 pm
Red_Army wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:08 pm A good source has told me that Ian Hendon may be in the running for the job. He left his role at Ebbsfleet today. He says that he's not 100% Hendon leaving and the vacancy are linked, but that he wouldn't be surprised.
Jesus wept.
I sincerely hope he's wrong.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Steve Bruce is the man for the job
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Ian Hendon coming back?

Post by Byways1 »

I believe he has worked with Ross at Spurs.
Obviously knows a lot of the back room staff.
An unbelievably poor choice, but cheap.