Brophy

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Brophy

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

dOh Nut wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 pm
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Ive covered this. I’m referring to the generic role these players are being compared for. I frankly don’t give a toss whether people call them LB, LWB, Defender, attacking full back, defensive wing back or whether we are plYong 442 532 352 5212 or whatever is flavour of the day. I was comparing Widdowson and Brophy and their merits in the role they occupy. A concept beyond your comprehension.

I find it redious in the extreme when people don’t have the imagination to look at the bigger picture. Tiny minds.

Shame, but there you are.
You should give a toss though, because a player's role and its requirements depends on the system he's playing in.

Also just watching football matches over a long time doesn't mean you have a good understanding of the game. I've seen guys at Orient who must have been going for 95 years and they're still completely clueless
95 years. Guys, plural. Impressive years watching far exceeds your IQ is my guess. 😂
I was trying to have a sensible discussion. Shame you had to spoil it by resorting to childish insults. Never mind
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

In old money
Brophy Winger. Widdowson Left Back

That’s all I need to know
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm
jamespevans wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Yet currently playing in L1 after being ever present in a promoted L2 side!
My point was that DoH is saying Brophy can't defend and therefore Widdowson should play over him. Despite this, he loves Caprice, who similar to Borphy, excels as a wing back and not a full back. There is a difference when comparing players, but he cant see the irony in his arguments.
Exactly where did I say Brophy can’t defend. I didn’t.

What I said was Widdowson is a better defender than Brophy. This is based on Widdowson being defender with 10 years experience in the role, Brophy hasn’t that experience as a defender. Suggests to me Widdowson is the better defender. Could be wrong but the evidence is compelling.
forget it.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:46 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm

My point was that DoH is saying Brophy can't defend and therefore Widdowson should play over him. Despite this, he loves Caprice, who similar to Borphy, excels as a wing back and not a full back. There is a difference when comparing players, but he cant see the irony in his arguments.

What I said was Widdowson is a better defender than Brophy. This is based on Widdowson being defender with 10 years experience in the role, Brophy hasn’t that experience as a defender. Suggests to me Widdowson is the better defender. Could be wrong but the evidence is compelling.
forget it.
Yup. You agree I didn’t say Brophy can’t defend. Good.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 am

forget it.
@dOh Nut
The ideal sort of player in a Wingback role is someone who is very fit and mobile, can defend well and also overlap down the wings and join in supporting the forwards providing good crosses and supports to the forwards. Also the ability to get back quickly to defensive role positions.
In this case, neither of the 2 players mentioned is ideal for the role. As said many times before, Widdowson is a solid defender who is not that good in the attacking role, whereas Brophy is more at home when attacking down the wing, but not that good as a defender. So until or if a different player comes along who can do a better job in this dual role position, down to management to select match by match as to who they think is the best option for any particular match.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:25 am

forget it.
@dOh Nut
The ideal sort of player in a Wingback role is someone who is very fit and mobile, can defend well and also overlap down the wings and join in supporting the forwards providing good crosses and supports to the forwards. Also the ability to get back quickly to defensive role positions.
In this case, neither of the 2 players mentioned is ideal for the role. As said many times before, Widdowson is a solid defender who is not that good in the attacking role, whereas Brophy is more at home when attacking down the wing, but not that good as a defender. So until or if a different player comes along who can do a better job in this dual role position, down to management to select match by match as to who they think is the best option for any particular match.
You might find players with both these skills in a higher division, I expect.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

forget it.
So if he can defend then what is the problem? Why do you want such a defensive player at left WING back?
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Maybe because it might be a good idea not to concede goals.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Redcard wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:14 am Maybe because it might be a good idea not to concede goals.
Both Ling and Widdowson are defensive fullbacks, IMO Sam is a shade better when going forward than Joe and does sometimes get in crosses.
Both tend to check-back and pass the ball back when up the field as neither has the skill or confidence to go down the line and put a good lofted cross in. For some reason, when Joe crosses the ball, cant seem to lift it, so often fails to clear defender in front of him or goes low across the area, he does not seem to be able to put a lofted cross in, at least Sam can do that, in fact he even scored a goal like that, an intended cross going into top corner of the goal. As the season progresses, see what evolves wont we !!
Forty-Niner
Fresh Alias

Post by Forty-Niner »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm Also just watching football matches over a long time doesn't mean you have a good understanding of the game. I've seen guys at Orient who must have been going for 95 years and they're still completely clueless
People shouldn't be allowed to go to Orient for 95 years. How about a cut off point of 59 years.
Of course Prestige Worldwide would have to find someone younger to thrust himself against in the S.C. bar queue but a small price to pay for old fart cleansing.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

IMO our best players for wing backs in a 5212 formation are Ling and Brophy. Our best full backs in a 442 formation are Turley and Widdowson. I imagine Turley and Widdowson will see plenty of playing time in either roll and also as back up centre backs. Throw Judd into the mix and we are very strong in these two areas. With the three starting centre backs hopefully all dealing with the step up, we have a massive chance to finish in the top 7 this season purely from a defensive point of view.

Ling is very good on the ball and used to play centre mid as a youth player, which means going forward he is the more refined of our right sided defensive players.