Exiles Thread.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Exiles Thread.

Post by Sid Bishop »

Omygawd wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:30 pm BBC reporting game abandoned due to crowd trouble. What a shower of Sh*t the BBC is.
I just read this on the BBC sports website .

''MATCH ABANDONED AT LEYTON ORIENT
Leyton Orient 1-0 Lincoln
Leyton Orient have confirmed that their League One game at Brisbane Road against Lincoln City has been abandoned.
Play was halted with about five minutes remaining because of a medical emergency in the crowd.
The game was stopped just after 21:30 BST, but has now been abandoned.
The BBC's Ian Westbrook reports the following announcement has just gone out over the PA system: "Due to the medical emergency the game will not continue."
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Omygawd wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:30 pm BBC reporting game abandoned due to crowd trouble. What a shower of Sh*t the BBC is.
Same on Sky, I think they get the info from agencies. Not sure you can dig out the BBC for that.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

Joe315 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:36 pm
says crowd, not trouble.
Read it......it says crowd trouble. I am not into sensationalised things.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Hard to blame the ref, the EFL rule is to carry on, he was put in an impossible positon, that one never dreams of, no ones knows how they will react
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:28 pm
gshaw wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:23 pm
JimbO wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:21 pm Was at the game peope were jeering the officials no one else
The protocol definitely needs to be reviewed, soon as the senior Steward or whoever knows there's a serious incident stop the game. The health and welfare of all nearby is more important.
EFL guidance is for games to continue in those situations and let the clubs emergency response plans be carried out. Something went seriously wrong in how that was handled but it's hard to blame the ref or playing staff, these situations are thankfully incredibly rare and difficult to deal with.
Doesn't sit right for me and seemingly many others on the socials. Having a game going on around the incident isn't going to help the responders and it's not beyond the realms of possibility the ball could end up in the area where treatment is taking place.

Can't see anyone thinking "yeah this game should really be carrying on" so how the EFL came to that conclusion is beyond me. Fans have more sense than those running the game fortunately.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

essexfootball wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:39 pm Hard to blame the ref, the EFL rule is to carry on, he was put in an impossible positon, that one never dreams of, no ones knows how they will react
I do get it - the rule is sh*t - but surely at a point where someone’s life is seriously at risk you ignore the rules and use common sense?

I don’t accept that the sh*t rule means the ref isn’t to blame in some way. Every second counts in these situations and because someone’s a jobsworth there’s a potential it’s cost a life.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

essexfootball wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:39 pm Hard to blame the ref, the EFL rule is to carry on, he was put in an impossible positon, that one never dreams of, no ones knows how they will react
I am . abandoned after 84 minutes due to medical emergency in the crowd.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

Joe315 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:43 pm
Look at their live text thread. Look at Sky.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Omygawd wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:44 pm
Joe315 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:43 pm
Look at their live text thread. Look at Sky.
Sky now ? thought it was bbc
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

I suppose the problem is that a medical incident in the crowd could maybe be quite minor, not like this one obviously. Does it make sense to stop the game in all circumstances? I don’t know. It would be better to allow the refs some discretion in this rather than a blanket rule. Anyway, it’s a terrible situation and one I hope I don’t see again anytime soon
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

gshaw wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:41 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:28 pm
gshaw wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:23 pm

The protocol definitely needs to be reviewed, soon as the senior Steward or whoever knows there's a serious incident stop the game. The health and welfare of all nearby is more important.
EFL guidance is for games to continue in those situations and let the clubs emergency response plans be carried out. Something went seriously wrong in how that was handled but it's hard to blame the ref or playing staff, these situations are thankfully incredibly rare and difficult to deal with.
Doesn't sit right for me and seemingly many others on the socials. Having a game going on around the incident isn't going to help the responders and it's not beyond the realms of possibility the ball could end up in the area where treatment is taking place.

Can't see anyone thinking "yeah this game should really be carrying on" so how the EFL came to that conclusion is beyond me. Fans have more sense than those running the game fortunately.
That comes back to whatever the club's protocol is. A football ground is probably one of the places where you'd be most likely to get a good immediate medical response.

This is just one of those awful things and I don't see the point in having a pop at anyone whilst we know so little. The ref is told by the EFL to play through medical emergencies in the crowd , the EFL expect each club to be able to handle most emergencies can be handled in a way that doesn't put the person next to the pitch.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Theo tried to tell the linesman who seemed to totally ignore him.
leebmx
Fresh Alias

Post by leebmx »

Why does the whole game have to be played again? Can’t they just resume at the point it was abandoned at a later date? I am sure there was some game in the lower leagues recently where the game had to be abandoned and they resumed for just a few minutes of injury time.
Despite the fact of it being unfair on the team winning (what if this had happened at Shef Utd vs Newcastle) there is also the fact that it means two teams have to play what basically amounts to an extra league game.
Not sure why they can’t just get together on a Wed afternoon and play out the last 5 plus injury time.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

leebmx wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:00 pm Why does the whole game have to be played again? Can’t they just resume at the point it was abandoned at a later date? I am sure there was some game in the lower leagues recently where the game had to be abandoned and they resumed for just a few minutes of injury time.
Despite the fact of it being unfair on the team winning (what if this had happened at Shef Utd vs Newcastle) there is also the fact that it means two teams have to play what basically amounts to an extra league game.
Not sure why they can’t just get together on a Wed afternoon and play out the last 5 plus injury time.
All that can come out in the wash.

My thoughts at present are with the poor person, family and friends. Also those who were around him tonight and those helping. God Bless them all!
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

JimbO wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:21 pm Was at the game peope were jeering the officials no one else
Should also point out that the Lincoln fans were chanting for the ref to take the players off. It also appeared that it was the players themselves that overruled the officials and started walking off.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

leebmx wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:00 pm Why does the whole game have to be played again? Can’t they just resume at the point it was abandoned at a later date? I am sure there was some game in the lower leagues recently where the game had to be abandoned and they resumed for just a few minutes of injury time.
scunthorpe was replayed, Feyernood & PSV did the last few minutes recently.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Plenty of people were telling other fans to get off the pitch.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Right decision - the distress for the supporter and family far outweighs any disappointment I may have that the match was abandoned.
leebmx
Fresh Alias

Post by leebmx »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:07 pm
All that can come out in the wash.

My thoughts at present are with the poor person, family and friends. Also those who were around him tonight and those helping. God Bless them all!
Hmmm….it’s an odd one isn’t it. I mean millions of awful things happen everyday. Should I feel more sadness or feel like I have to perform more sadness for this one because he (maybe) supports the same team as me? Or at least we both like football?

I’m sure this sounds incredibly callous to you but I think it’s perfectly possible to think ‘oh sh*t that’s awful, poor guy’ and also about the fixture list at the same time. Wish this guy and his unfortunate family, like any set of people who God decides to kick in the balls, all the best….also interested in the ramifications for my team. I suppose that makes me a See You Next Tuesday in a lot of people’s eyes.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

It was a grim evening all around. I understand that these situations can cause confusion and making big decisions such as stopping a professional football match need clarity to make, but once it became clear a fan was having a serious medical issue the game should be paused until they are treated or removed from the ground.

I can accept that in the build up to the game initially being stopped officials and players may not have been fully aware of what was happening. However, from that point out it was known that somebody was having a serious medical condition and some of the events which unfolded were sickening. This includes:

1. The ref trying to restart the game whilst a fan was having CPR feet away from the pitch

2. The lineman scoffing at protestations from fans in the East Stand to stop the game. A truly nasty and arrogant man who I hope never officiates at an EFL game again. The whole situation was taking place feet away from him. He knew what was happening.

3. The Lincoln number 15, similar to the linesman must have known what was going on, and also gave stick to fans in the East Stand whilst desperately trying to get on with the match.

Those three are a disgrace.

Credit to:

1. The Lincoln number 8 who looked really uncomfortable when number 15 was giving it to the fans in the East Stand and seemed to genuinely not want to continue

2. Theo Archibald for telling the linesman to stop the game after the attempted restart

3. Sol Brynn for basically refusing to take a goal kick whilst CPR was going on pitch side.

I would expect a full investigation to be carried out about this incident. If protocol was followed, then the protocol needs to be changed.

For those thinking that a game should continue as long as the pitch isn’t impeded, witnessing someone receive CPR is incredibly distressing. To continue a match whilst that is going on is quite horrific. There are children in the stands but to be honest even for an adult it can be extremely upsetting. There’s no way a game should continue whilst someone is receiving life saving treatment in the stands, in view of the field of play.
Last edited by The Reverend on Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whittle76
Fresh Alias

Post by whittle76 »

Surely the main reason to halt game was the risk of the ball being hit into the stand where the person was being given First Aid as they were only a few rows up.
Holybourne Identity
Fresh Alias

Post by Holybourne Identity »

As a protocol I think continuing is the right approach. However tonight, with CPR being given on the touchline, the match could not resume.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Club have released a statement on its website. No update on the poor bloke as yet.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

The rules state that the game must be played in two equal halves so quite likely that the whole game will have to be replayed.
Main thoughts at this time has to be for the health of the man who received CPR at the side of the pitch.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

A lot of things could have been done differently but this desire to find a scape goat in the situation is a bit weird. When a traumatic even happens like that, communication is very limited and no one knows exactly what’s happened apart from a small number of people.

As previously mentioned, when he was moved pitch side, the players should have been taken off immediately. I’m not really sure why its become a thing for fans demand the match pauses if there’s an incident in the stands in modern times though, just adds to the panic.