Pompey game

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Pompey game

Post by Stan1972 »

I wish I could be positive about this performance, as I don't want to be accused like I was a few days ago, of being negative and wanting Orient to lose!
So I’ll try…
Smyth & Theo both looked lively.
Moncur looked good going forward but Pratley is not the answer, Moncur needs a partner.
Clay & Happe back playing.

With 11 days to go before start of season, I am very worried, very poor defending, especially on crosses and too many individual mistakes.
We need a RB, CM and a ST ASAP!!
The Big Shot
Fresh Alias

Post by The Big Shot »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:47 pm
EliotNes wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:46 pm
EliotNes wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:39 pm A Pompey fan is taking the p*** out of our performance on the YouTube chat
More have joined the p*** taking at our poor performance.
Well we've been very poor this evening . It doesn't fill me with much confidence for Grimsby Saturday week.
The second half for the most part was the Portsmouth first team against a load of our youngsters, 2 trialists and 2 players who won't start against Grimsby due to coming back from long term injury.

By your logic, the Spurs performance Saturday means we're nearly ready for Grimsby as we controlled the second half.

It means nothing, friendlies mean nothing. Why do friendlies worry you so much? We beat Newcastle once 6-1 (as we always remind ourselves), it means nothing.
Last edited by The Big Shot on Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Good things... Smyth, Archibald, Moncur

Not good things... chronic lack of options, midfield looks even weaker than before, academy kids aren't the answer in place of senior pros, trialists poor

It's not about the results, it's seeing how weak the squad is depth wise. Wellens still hasn't had the chance to put out a proper XI yet
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

gshaw wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:56 pm Good things... Smyth, Archibald, Moncur

Not good things... chronic lack of options, midfield looks even weaker than before, academy kids aren't the answer in place of senior pros, trialists poor

It's not about the results, it's seeing how weak the squad is depth wise. Wellens still hasn't had the chance to put out a proper XI yet
Midfield didn't put us 2 down and Coleman was decent for only his second run out. Looks like Wellens has told him he can only play 2 touch and has 3 seconds to release the ball. Wood, Beccles and Shad all played big parts in the first 2 goals conceded and the only midfield contribution was Pratley trying to cover Beccles man.

The obvious miss is up front. Those that don't like Drinan can now appreciate a bit of what he brings to the party. He starts the press and works the defence. The alternate, Harry Smith, acts as a focal point. Without those 2 we have neither (although Fish shows promise). I didn't think the 1st half triallist was the answer and the other 2 are best forgotten.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

Stan1972 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:50 pm I wish I could be positive about this performance, as I don't want to be accused like I was a few days ago, of being negative and wanting Orient to lose!
So I’ll try…
Moncur looked good going forward but Pratley is not the answer, Moncur needs a partner.

With 11 days to go before start of season, I am very worried, very poor defending, especially on crosses and too many individual mistakes.
We miss Drinan Smith and James. Our forwards even with Smythe on form is lightweight. No good getting crosses in when there is nobody to attack the ball. Every goal tonight was a defensive mistake. Sergeant at fault with both second half goals. No chance with penalty. Clay running around like a headless chicken. All 3 trialists were poor. Let’s hope they are not on the list of players we want to sign. Midfield still a problem .we looked a very poor side tonight.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:06 pm

Midfield didn't put us 2 down and Coleman was decent for only his second run out. Looks like Wellens has told him he can only play 2 touch and has 3 seconds to release the ball. Wood, Beccles and Shad all played big parts in the first 2 goals conceded and the only midfield contribution was Pratley trying to cover Beccles man.

The obvious miss is up front. Those that don't like Drinan can now appreciate a bit of what he brings to the party. He starts the press and works the defence. The alternate, Harry Smith, acts as a focal point. Without those 2 we have neither (although Fish shows promise). I didn't think the 1st half triallist was the answer and the other 2 are best forgotten.
The midfield did play a massive part in the first two goals.

For the first, where was Coleman? When in possession, as the deepest midfielder it is responsibility to show and collect the ball from the defence. All of Vigs, Wood and Ogie had the ball at their feet but he wasn’t an option once.

For the second, where was Coleman? When defending, as the deepest midfielder it is his responsibility to track the runners from midfield. I didn’t see him anywhere near our box.

Lots of positives from tonight, but the trial list and Coleman were the two massive negatives.
The Big Shot
Fresh Alias

Post by The Big Shot »

moonwalk19 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:13 pm
Stan1972 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:50 pm I wish I could be positive about this performance, as I don't want to be accused like I was a few days ago, of being negative and wanting Orient to lose!
So I’ll try…

We miss Drinan Smith and James. Our forwards even with Smythe on form is lightweight. No good getting crosses in when there is nobody to attack the ball. Every goal tonight was a defensive mistake. Sergeant at fault with both second half goals. No chance with penalty. Clay running around like a headless chicken. All 3 trialists were poor. Let’s hope they are not on the list of players we want to sign. Midfield still a problem .we looked a very poor side tonight.
The second half for the most part was the Portsmouth first team against a load of our youngsters, 2 trialists and 2 players who won't start against Grimsby due to coming back from long term injury.

By your logic, the Spurs performance Saturday means we're nearly ready for Grimsby as we controlled the second half.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Second half is an irrelevance. Good for Clay and Happe to get some game time, and a nice learning experience for the kids on the fringes.

But the first half highlighted what we all knew. We need a proper first choice CDM. We need striker cover whilst the big boys are out, or an alternative wide player if Smyth is playing down the middle. We need proper right back cover. We know this, Richie knows this, Lingy needs to sort it.
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

EliotNes wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:39 pm A Pompey fan is taking the p*** out of our performance on the YouTube chat
Kids should have been in bed
The Big Shot
Fresh Alias

Post by The Big Shot »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:25 pm Second half is an irrelevance. Good for Clay and Happe to get some game time, and a nice learning experience for the kids on the fringes.

But the first half highlighted what we all knew. We need a proper first choice CDM. We need striker cover whilst the big boys are out, or an alternative wide player if Smyth is playing down the middle. We need proper right back cover. We know this, Richie knows this, Lingy needs to sort it.
To be fair, Portsmouth are a league above us and Michael Jacobs the Portmsouth left winger is a good player for that level - spent quite a few seasons in the Championship with Wolves and Derby and causes most League One right backs problems.

Agree with the rest.
soloman
Fresh Alias

Post by soloman »

So I’ll try…

Well Stan ,Pompey are a huge team who will no doubt be pushing hard for auto promotion ,they have spent quite a few bob on players they've signed.
O's are a small club who cant afford to go out and buy equal ability players to cover the likes of James and his replacement, Thompson, was actually playing against an international LW Pompey player . It's just another little run out in heat that we're not used to , Pompey are better athletes as well as better footballers ,get over it .
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

The Big Shot wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:30 pm
Gary the Plumber wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:25 pm Second half is an irrelevance. Good for Clay and Happe to get some game time, and a nice learning experience for the kids on the fringes.

To be fair, Portsmouth are a league above us and Michael Jacobs the Portmsouth left winger is a good player for that level - spent quite a few seasons in the Championship with Wolves and Derby and causes most League One right backs problems.

Agree with the rest.
Not being critical of Thommo. It’s more about what he lacks going forward rather than defensively. He’s clearly a footballing CB doing his best as an attacking RB and it shows.

And with Shad out and Happe still on the way back, could do with him alongside Beckles.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

The only one I'd chance on from that list is the cover RB. Would be interesting to see if Georgiou can do "enough" there alongside Thompson until James gets back. Just cross everything it's not another season-long injury.

Would rather get two CMs in as Clay will need more time to get back to match fitness and sharpness. Unbelievable we've only signed one player in that area.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Well Solomon, all I can say after reading your post is, you sound like a Pompey fan in disguise, hello sailor 👋
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Above is why , Big Shot .
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Interesting to see what RW makes of that performance.
Our defending was shambolic quite honestly………..Yes, I know it was hot, but Ogie’s own goal was bad but then the 2nd goal Ogie didn’t jump and Beckles / Thompson were caught the wrong side of Pigott.
We really miss James at RWB………Thommo is more suited to CB as he offers little as an attacking threat
As has been said many times our squad looks very thin after the first XI .

Is it time to let one of the keepers go……..Vigs is the best we have but why have TWO reserves…….could we free up some budget by letting Sargeant or Byrne move on ??

I didn’t see Georgiou tonight, I hope he isn’t injured…….
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Clay and happe look a long way from being ready for the first team.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Cheshunto wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:27 pm Interesting to see what RW makes of that performance.
Our defending was shambolic quite honestly………..Yes, I know it was hot, but Ogie’s own goal was bad but then the 2nd goal Ogie didn’t jump and Beckles / Thompson were caught the wrong side of Pigott.
We really miss James at RWB………Thommo is more suited to CB as he offers little as an attacking threat
As has been said many times our squad looks very thin after the first XI .

Is it time to let one of the keepers go……..Vigs is the best we have but why have TWO reserves…….could we free up some budget by letting Sargeant or Byrne move on ??

I didn’t see Georgiou tonight, I hope he isn’t injured…….
Georgiou probably has his minutes banked .
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

soloman wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:36 pm
So I’ll try…

Well Stan ,Pompey are a huge team who will no doubt be pushing hard for auto promotion ,they have spent quite a few bob on players they've signed.
O's are a small club who cant afford to go out and buy equal ability players to cover the likes of James and his replacement, Thompson, was actually playing against an international LW Pompey player . It's just another little run out in heat that we're not used to , Pompey are better athletes as well as better footballers ,get over it .
Pompey are L1 where we want to be next season. We looked 2divisions below them tonight. The question of another midfielder has been around for 2 seasons now and Ling has not sorted it. His attitude is you get better players if you wait towards the end of the transfer date. That has never worked. RW wanted the players he needs sorted before going to Portugal. That has not happened. What is it that we don’t get the players we need. The transfer commitee meet monthly and say they pursue players months in advance. It has been the same problems for the last two or three transfer windows. Something is wrong and RW will soon get fed up if things don’t go to his liking.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

What's the latest on Drinan ? I mean how long is he out for...The club seem to have gone quiet on this front or have I missed something?
Petrov788
Fresh Alias

Post by Petrov788 »

Getting riled up by 14 year old Portsmouth fans? They are a top league 1 side, one of the favs to go up to the championship - and played a senior side in both halves.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

moonwalk19 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:51 pm
soloman wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:36 pm
So I’ll try…

Pompey are L1 where we want to be next season. We looked 2divisions below them tonight. The question of another midfielder has been around for 2 seasons now and Ling has not sorted it. His attitude is you get better players if you wait towards the end of the transfer date. That has never worked. RW wanted the players he needs sorted before going to Portugal. That has not happened. What is it that we don’t get the players we need. The transfer commitee meet monthly and say they pursue players months in advance. It has been the same problems for the last two or three transfer windows. Something is wrong and RW will soon get fed up if things don’t go to his liking.
Pompey are a top half L1 team looking for promotion. That is somewhere we are looking to be in about 5 years time. I disagree that we looked 2 divisions below them. When we had our strongest team out they scored from a stupid mistake from Ogie and a good cross, and we got one back with a nice goal. They looked like a very good L1 team, we looked like a reasonable L2 team as you would expect.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:09 pm What's the latest on Drinan ? I mean how long is he out for...The club seem to have gone quiet on this front or have I missed something?
Quad injury , normally takes longer than hamstring.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

The Big Shot wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:52 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:47 pm

Well we've been very poor this evening . It doesn't fill me with much confidence for Grimsby Saturday week.

It means nothing, friendlies mean nothing. Why do friendlies worry you so much? We beat Newcastle once 6-1 (as we always remind ourselves), it means nothing.
Keep losing or under performing in pre season friendlies is hardly a morale booster or a confidence builder before a season starts. We all know friendlies are friendlies but they are not a 'total' irrelevance as you suggest, despite the 6-1 Newcastle result you keep reminding us of.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Adz wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:53 am
moonwalk19 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:51 pm
soloman wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:36 pm Well Stan ,Pompey are a huge team who will no doubt be pushing hard for auto promotion ,they have spent quite a few bob on players they've signed.
Pompey are a top half L1 team looking for promotion. That is somewhere we are looking to be in about 5 years time. I disagree that we looked 2 divisions below them. When we had our strongest team out they scored from a stupid mistake from Ogie and a good cross, and we got one back with a nice goal. They looked like a very good L1 team, we looked like a reasonable L2 team as you would expect.
Disagree we looked like a reasonable L2 team.

We looked like a team with 9 players, carrying 2 total passengers in the triallist and Coleman.