Euro 2024

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Re: Euro 2024

Post by Hoover Attack »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:49 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:28 pm I said to one of my mates at work this evening how come we haven't seen Ollie Watkins yet play a single minute . He comes on tonight and pops in the winner . I think he's got to play on Sunday because he brings something different to our forward line . Although I think Spain has been the best team in the tournament so far it's now just a one off game so anything can happen . COME ON ENGLAND !!!!
Southgate will pick Kane even though he looks tired out and slow. Hope Trippier does not start again as left back.
Agreed.

Definitely start playing around with the team now there’s a bit of cohesion.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

Part of me thinks with the talent we have available I should not be surprised that we have again made the Euro final; part of me thinks we were lucky to get beyond the round of 16 having been largely unimpressive in the group stages.

For a while last night, first half especially, we did play with some belief and positivity, and we were good. Do tend to agree that Kane doesn’t look 100% though, and for me it was never a penalty. But well done all, fingers crossed for Sunday, Spain have to be favourites though.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

LPE wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:01 pm It’s going to be interesting watching that in an Edinburgh boozer this Sunday.

I’m sure they’ll be so much love for us from our Scottish cousins.
Probably be safer watching it in a boozer in Madrid tbh.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

EastDerehamO wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:13 am Part of me thinks with the talent we have available I should not be surprised that we have again made the Euro final; part of me thinks we were lucky to get beyond the round of 16 having been largely unimpressive in the group stages.

For a while last night, first half especially, we did play with some belief and positivity, and we were good. Do tend to agree that Kane doesn’t look 100% though, and for me it was never a penalty. But well done all, fingers crossed for Sunday, Spain have to be favourites though.
Spot on.

England are where they expected to be pre-tournament, so its not a surprise. How they got there has been down to a lot of luck. If they win it, no one will give a sh*t about how they won it.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Spain haven’t lost a competitive game since losing to Scotland 2-0 in March 2023 with Englishman Scott McTominay scoring twice

Since then they’ve won 14 competitive games in a row
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

This thread is a good reminder to myself throughout the season when certain posters list their mind boggling football thoughts, that they dont have a clue :lol:

People still on the drop Kane for a final bus?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

EastDerehamO wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:13 am Part of me thinks with the talent we have available
This is just nonsense.

Bellingham would get into any team in the Euros. Kane, Saka and Foden would feature in most. But the rest of them - Pickford, the back line and Rice and Mainoo - wouldn’t trouble most of the quarter finalists starting line ups. (Mainoo will in time, just not yet).

Southgate has done a fantastic job getting a workmanlike like group with a smattering of qualiry players to progress so far, so frequently.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

People wonder why Sourhgate sets up so boringly, so defensively yet the two occasions we went full on press last night, Holland ripped through us with ease.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Mainoo was quality last night wasn't he? 19 years old. Loves getting the ball and making himself available. Won loads of tackles high up, isn't afraid of a shot. He'll be world class by the next euros.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:05 am People wonder why Sourhgate sets up so boringly, so defensively yet the two occasions we went full on press last night, Holland ripped through us with ease.
Yep. It takes real skill as a manager to realise that you can't always set up how you want if you want to win...especially when fans and the media are shouting from their sofa about ATTACKING FOOTBALL. He knows how to get far in tournaments unlike most england managers.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:06 am Mainoo was quality last night wasn't he? 19 years old. Loves getting the ball and making himself available. Won loads of tackles high up, isn't afraid of a shot. He'll be world class by the next euros.
Midfield of him Rice and Bellingham should have us set for the next decade more or less.

Foden in the first half was the best I've seen him in an england shirt, looked like the player we see for Man City.

People (and I include myself in this) have a pop at Southgate as a tactician but last night Walker was basically doing the pep thing of coming central and overloading the midfield, but at no point did the Netherlands look like exploiting it.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:04 am
EastDerehamO wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:13 am Part of me thinks with the talent we have available
This is just nonsense.

Bellingham would get into any team in the Euros. Kane, Saka and Foden would feature in most. But the rest of them - Pickford, the back line and Rice and Mainoo - wouldn’t trouble most of the quarter finalists starting line ups. (Mainoo will in time, just not yet).

Southgate has done a fantastic job getting a workmanlike like group with a smattering of qualiry players to progress so far, so frequently.
Stones and Walker are not 'workmanlike' :lol: . You can draw from any international team their weakest parts and say actually they aren't that good. France had a midfield of Kante and Rabiot, Spain have Laporte and Cucurella at the back, Portugal still had the ghost of Ronaldo up top, Germany would kill for our striking or full back options.

Talent wise going into the tournament, I thought that we were behind Portugal, France and maybe Germany. Spain have definitely surprised me. But assuming a fortunate run in, semis/final is absolutely where we should be getting to with the squad we have. Southgate deserved immense credit for actually delivering on that, having overachieved in 2018 and arguably 2020.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

It was an exciting game. Southgate got away with his late change of subs. What a tough final it will be. We know the game plan.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I have no idea how you watch that match, see that the two subs combine for a winner, and think that Southgate has 'got away with it'. That looks like great management to me.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:59 am Spain haven’t lost a competitive game since losing to Scotland 2-0 in March 2023 with Englishman Scott McTominay scoring twice

Would make Singaporean captain Terry Butcher proud if Southgates boys win
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:59 am Spain haven’t lost a competitive game since losing to Scotland 2-0 in March 2023 with Englishman Scott McTominay scoring twice

Well it's about time they lost one then starting with this Sunday ;)
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Mistadobalina wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:35 am I have no idea how you watch that match, see that the two subs combine for a winner, and think that Southgate has 'got away with it'. That looks like great management to me.
Point, but the game was drifting away from England. Great subs 10-15 minutes earlier would have been ideal. No room for slacking against Spain.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

This is a really good point.

Spain have demonstrated that they can slip up, even if it's to a glorified England B-team back in March 2023. They'll still be favourites for Sunday, as they'll be more focused on winning the game in hand, but the proper England team have a chance. And I'm sure all the home nations will get behind England on Sunday.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Agree, I think I speak for the whole of the UK when I say it’ll be a boost for everyone if plucky underdogs England manage to pull it off Sunday
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:12 am
Mistadobalina wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:35 am I have no idea how you watch that match, see that the two subs combine for a winner, and think that Southgate has 'got away with it'. That looks like great management to me.
Point, but the game was drifting away from England. Great subs 10-15 minutes earlier would have been ideal. No room for slacking against Spain.
:lol:
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:25 am
Stones and Walker are not 'workmanlike' :lol: . You can draw from any international team their weakest parts and say actually they aren't that good. France had a midfield of Kante and Rabiot, Spain have Laporte and Cucurella at the back, Portugal still had the ghost of Ronaldo up top, Germany would kill for our striking or full back options.

Talent wise going into the tournament, I thought that we were behind Portugal, France and maybe Germany. Spain have definitely surprised me. But assuming a fortunate run in, semis/final is absolutely where we should be getting to with the squad we have. Southgate deserved immense credit for actually delivering on that, having overachieved in 2018 and arguably 2020.
I wonder if other nations do this over-hyping of their own players, believing them to be better than they are in comparison to foreigners, or if it's just an English thing?

Winning the European Cup with Jordan f**king Pickford in goal would be totally insane.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:13 am

This is a really good point.

Spain have demonstrated that they can slip up, even if it's to a glorified England B-team back in March 2023. They'll still be favourites for Sunday, as they'll be more focused on winning the game in hand, but the proper England team have a chance. And I'm sure all the home nations will get behind England on Sunday.
It does feel since last weeks election result that the whole British Isles are coming together and are less divided than we were - a victory on Sunday will help this no end. [##]
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:27 am
Winning the European Cup with Jordan f**king Pickford in goal would be totally insane.
So, you're saying that there's a chance?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I wonder if other nations do this over-hyping of their own players, believing them to be better than they are in comparison to foreigners, or if it's just an English thing?

I don't see how it's more insane than Italy winning a Euros with Chelsea's third choice left back or Argentina winning a world cup with Otamendi at center back. Every international team has glaring weaknesses, good managers account for them. Which Southgate is doing right now.

I expect Spain to beat us btw as they are a better team. But acknowledging that we have an excellent squad isn't arrogance and is reflected in how many European pundits/papers were talking us up as one of the favorites pre tournament.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Some people would say Pickford helped keep a sh*t Everton team in the Premier League .