Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

StillSpike wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:27 am My parents got the 2nd jag yesterday
Good for them, no need to show off on the Covid thread though.

I'm quite happy with my Volvo
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Have I understood this correctly, that the target isn't to give 2 million jabs per week, but to offer 2 million a week?

I may well be wrong here, so happy to stand corrected. But if that is correct then that's a subtle but very important difference.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

'the capacity to' all over again, I fear.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:37 am Have I understood this correctly, that the target isn't to give 2 million jabs per week, but to offer 2 million a week?

I may well be wrong here, so happy to stand corrected. But if that is correct then that's a subtle but very important difference.
You can offer someone the Vaccine but you can't forcibly make them have it.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

JimbO wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:31 pm
Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:37 am Have I understood this correctly, that the target isn't to give 2 million jabs per week, but to offer 2 million a week?

You can offer someone the Vaccine but you can't forcibly make them have it.
They should force them though. For the sake of the greater good.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Over 1k deaths reported in a day for the first time. Utterly grim.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:05 pm Over 1k deaths reported in a day for the first time. Utterly grim.
Agree, very sad, families , friends , neighbours and pets involved with all or most of these poor souls. Truly dreadful. I hope the non-compliant, refuseniks take notice.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

I despise this government but I really do hope that they've got the vaccination programme right, I really do.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

The curve is looking longer than the first wave and not much flatter.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

This government has the deaths of many people on its hands, mainly by being too slow to follow the science. A few days makes a massive difference.
We should have locked down the first time in the first week of March, and stayed locked down for 2½ months minimum, and the lockdown that started on Nov 4th should have started at the end of September.
Awful incompetent government.
Some people have, and are still behaving irresponsibly, and that's added to it all. Lets hope this lockdown starts the process of numbers going right down, though i think it should have been in place around 20th December, and Christmas cancelled
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Just remember: the data that made it obvious to the PM that a lockdown was inevitable was given to him on 18th December. Apart from implementing Tier 4, he didn't do what was really required until 4th January.

Also, his government threatened legal action against authorities that attempted to switch to remote learning, just to send thousands of children in to mix for one day.

That's our PM, right there.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

They got the numbers down by the summer but track and trace is a complete shitshow so numbers just crept back up.
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:13 pm The curve is looking longer than the first wave and not much flatter.
They flattened the curve alright, but vertically.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:22 pm Just remember: the data that made it obvious to the PM that a lockdown was inevitable was given to him on 18th December. Apart from implementing Tier 4, he didn't do what was really required until 4th January.

Also, his government threatened legal action against authorities that attempted to switch to remote learning, just to send thousands of children in to mix for one day.

That's our PM, right there.
What he did do was get his crack in at PMQs about Starmer "he wants the cancel Christmas !!" sneer sneer etc. He knew bloody fine well he was going to have to reel back on the 5-days of Christmas right then, he had the data, but he wanted the headlines and the PMQs comeback, so he delayed the call for a couple of days (during which people made arrangements based on his word that they'd be able to mix for the 5 days etc). Talk about playing politics with peoples' lives.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Covid positive today 12.5%
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Today positive tests 9.16%

Beds 88% full against 96% for this time last year. Only 3 hospitals all in south east that have there highest number of patients on record. ICU's accross country normal use for this time of year. London above average but not at record levels.

Number of deaths Oct-Dec normal, slightly higher then 18 & 19 and lower than 16 & 17. The number of non covid deaths from respiratory illnesses is minimal compared to normal.

This week is week 2 for NHS which is the worst week for deaths each year in the UK.

All info on NHS & ONS websites.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Interesting stats. I suppose the danger is if the problem grows and I suspect it will for the remainder of this month as infections do not seem to have peaked yet.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Over 1k deaths reported again (1,162) and just under 53k new cases. 1,297,432 first vaccines administered to date.
Last edited by Smendrick Feaselberg on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Still's Carenae wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:57 pm Today positive tests 9.16%

Beds 88% full against 96% for this time last year. Only 3 hospitals all in south east that have there highest number of patients on record. ICU's accross country normal use for this time of year. London above average but not at record levels.

Number of deaths Oct-Dec normal, slightly higher then 18 & 19 and lower than 16 & 17. The number of non covid deaths from respiratory illnesses is minimal compared to normal.

This week is week 2 for NHS which is the worst week for deaths each year in the UK.

All info on NHS & ONS websites.
Whipps Cross very quiet
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Kent and Canterbury is very quiet as well, like a lot are in reality.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Dunners wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:50 pm
BIGRON wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:33 pm
StillSpike wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:28 am

That sounds terrible Ron. What do they mean "they're not doing vaccines" ? Do they mean they're not doing at that actual centre but elsewhere instead? - My M&D are in Dunmow, and their surgery is sending them to a place near Stansted for their jags - they had the first before Christmas (they're 81 and 91) and are due to the get the 2nd shot tomorrow - although I'd imagine that'll be postponed now that they are planning to spread out the shots more widely more quickly.

I'm sure you're already on it, but I'd be going back to the health centre asking what they mean - "not doing vaccines" - cos that just sounds plain wrong.
Just got back from the health centre , they tell me mum is in the 2nd block waiting to be vaccinated , they will inform me where and when but it could be 2-3 months 🤔🤔
Hi Ron. The are about 4 million doses currently being delivered. 40 million are then due to arrive from the end of March. Whether or not your Mum gets one of the first tranche of 4 million is likely to depend on how many are ahead of her in the queue. My Mum has also been declared as CEV, but her GP has told her to not get her hopes up of being one of the 4 million.

I think we need to realistically set our expectations that the vaccination programme will not get into full swing until April. And then there will almost certainly be some obstacles and logistical barriers. Hence why my earlier prediction of Spring 2022 being a realistic target for a return to 'normal'.
Got an unexpected text this afternoon...mum can have her jab on Tuesday afternoon 👏👏
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

BIGRON wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Just got back from the health centre , they tell me mum is in the 2nd block waiting to be vaccinated , they will inform me where and when but it could be 2-3 months 🤔🤔
Hi Ron. The are about 4 million doses currently being delivered. 40 million are then due to arrive from the end of March. Whether or not your Mum gets one of the first tranche of 4 million is likely to depend on how many are ahead of her in the queue. My Mum has also been declared as CEV, but her GP has told her to not get her hopes up of being one of the 4 million.

I think we need to realistically set our expectations that the vaccination programme will not get into full swing until April. And then there will almost certainly be some obstacles and logistical barriers. Hence why my earlier prediction of Spring 2022 being a realistic target for a return to 'normal'.
Got an unexpected text this afternoon...mum can have her jab on Tuesday afternoon 👏👏
That's great news Ron, I'm sure you'll be mightily relieved when she's had it - it'll still take a while for her to get the protection so she'll still need to be very careful, but superb that it's happening.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

BIGRON wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:52 pm

That's excellent news Ron.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:37 pm Kent and Canterbury is very quiet as well, like a lot are in reality.
Well, to be fair, I'll always come to you and Oiram for the true facts about how busy our hospitals are.