Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Top of the JES »

Oiram wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:51 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:38 pm What should be done with school kids?
Good question but if they are spreading virus and now susceptible to this new mutated version they may need to isolate to stop infection. The parents will be first to protest if they were infected due to inaction by HM Govt.

As a substantial amount of people will not be working then they can parent their children and the imminent holidays is a convenient time. No easy answer to this as the Govt. are damned if the do or do not.

Hopefully extra financial support will be provided to those who need it and not the wealthy who I personally have been aware of applying for loans and grants they brazenly admit to not needing but ‘like to have it in the bank as I’m entitled to it’. I have told them what I think of their attitude in no uncertain terms.
Oiram it wont be the parents complaining first it will be the teachers I imagine.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Top of the JES wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:54 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:38 pm What should be done with school kids?
Good question but if they are spreading virus and now susceptible to this new mutated version they may need to isolate to stop infection. The parents will be first to protest if they were infected due to inaction by HM Govt.

As a substantial amount of people will not be working then they can parent their children and the imminent holidays is a convenient time. No easy answer to this as the Govt. are damned if the do or do not.

Hopefully extra financial support will be provided to those who need it and not the wealthy who I personally have been aware of applying for loans and grants they brazenly admit to not needing but ‘like to have it in the bank as I’m entitled to it’. I have told them what I think of their attitude in no uncertain terms.
Oiram it wont be the parents complaining first it will be the teachers I imagine.
Yes, I forgot about the teachers, thanks.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Top of the JES wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:54 pm

:shock:
True, I forgot about the teachers and probably auxiliary staff, thanks.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:30 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:05 pm I wish the doctor/scientist on covid
Who wore the O's top on bbc brekfast
Was on here .
🤔
Was he carrying a Palestine flag in one hand and a copy of David Irving in the other?
No Flag No book

Looked far to Intelligent to be inspired by any sort of book by that author
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

Blair talking a lot of sense tonight, seems sensible and logical indeed.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Dunners wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:13 am

8. But, a big question is; if this is the appropriate response, then why has the government not imposed Tier 4 across the whole country? The new strain will have almost certainly seeded elsewhere already, so this is a decision that will impact on NHS services in coming weeks and affect lives.

It looks like most of the country will be moved in Tier 4 from Boxing Day.

Even if we accept that, up until now, the Government has been "guided by the science", there's no way they can credibly claim that now. It's been clear, from the reaction of other countries and comments by the CSO, that the new strain has seeded in other areas already. The failure to implement these restrictions across the whole country will affect lives and health services.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dunners wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am Even if we accept that, up until now, the Government has been "guided by the science",
:D
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:34 am
Dunners wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am Even if we accept that, up until now, the Government has been "guided by the science",
:D
Sickening. He buys a flat in the slum district of Perpinya, thinks he's Berty big bollox and almost over night becomes a Tory Party propagandist.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

That reminds me, I need to go and count my rent.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Cases up 57% in a week.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dunners wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:34 am That reminds me, I need to go and count my rent.
As if you even do that yourself.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Is there any point being in Tier 4 . I can’t walk across the road to see my daughter , but I can fly to Dubai and see her there when she leaves the UK to fly there on Boxing Day.
It’s no wonder we can’t control this virus. I really don’t see why I should have the severest restrictions placed upon me here , yet I can travel and ignore them all.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I'm amazed that we here is sleepy, deepest, darkest Suffolk are now placed into Tier 4. I think it's partly political - to say to the Labour Mayors and MPs up north that the Tory Party aren't afraid to put constituencies with Tory MPs into Tier 4.

At least the golf courses are allowed to stay open so I can get exercise and the frustration of finding a little white ball in long grass.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Dunners wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:25 pm Cases up 57% in a week.
Loads of testing being done though with 450k tests conducted yesterday. Was doing half the number of tests earlier in the month.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Fair point regarding testing, but the rate of hospital admissions and reported deaths can be compared with other time points.

Also:

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Deaths look fairly flat to me, could exceed first wave hospital admissions though.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Reading a few comments on this new South Africa strain. It may have more of an affect on children. If that's true, and it starts to spread, then that's the schools shut until vaccine roll-out.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Bugger, I've got a sore throat, is this how it starts?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Er... yeah. That's how we all came down with it back in March. Hope it ain't and that, if it is, you don't get the headaches too. They were f*cking awful.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

If I don't make it, password is orient.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

We know.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Just looking at todays figures the percentage of testing positive is 8.9175%

The number of tests in hospitals is not shown, so impossible to know true figures. The other issue is the type of test used. The lateral flow is supposed to be around normal false positive figures of 2.8%, while PRC is around 18%. If only PRC are used then the current figures are not statistically significant (although they were in April).

The other issue is new variants these are normally weaker, but the issue is whether lockdowns actually make it stronger. As with all parts of this experiment we are going through nobody will know the answer for a considerable amount of time.

I have also looked at death figures. From 1979 to 2014, the rate of death has considerably reduced down to 9.004 per thousand. In 2019 the number of deaths was lower than expected but was still at 9.386 per thousand. This year before cv19 the figure was expected to be around 9.413 and continuing to increase as throughout the next 50 years. The reason for this decline is that average age of dying has been constantly rising from 68 in 1950 to 82 now. This also explains the pension issues. So for a male having a pension has moved from 3 years to 16 for example.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Still's Carenae wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:18 pm Just looking at todays figures the percentage of testing positive is 8.9175%

The number of tests in hospitals is not shown, so impossible to know true figures. The other issue is the type of test used. The lateral flow is supposed to be around normal false positive figures of 2.8%, while PRC is around 18%. If only PRC are used then the current figures are not statistically significant (although they were in April).

The other issue is new variants these are normally weaker, but the issue is whether lockdowns actually make it stronger. As with all parts of this experiment we are going through nobody will know the answer for a considerable amount of time.

I have also looked at death figures. From 1979 to 2014, the rate of death has considerably reduced down to 9.004 per thousand. In 2019 the number of deaths was lower than expected but was still at 9.386 per thousand. This year before cv19 the figure was expected to be around 9.413 and continuing to increase as throughout the next 50 years. The reason for this decline is that average age of dying has been constantly rising from 68 in 1950 to 82 now. This also explains the pension issues. So for a male having a pension has moved from 3 years to 16 for example.
Good research that
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

London Nightingale Hospital - Gone!

Very Interesting tweet this morning from Richard Trice.

Don't like his political views but good investigative work from him and another absolutely shambolic decision and mis management of public funds by the government.

"Lost: 3,000 bed Nightingale hospital ....none of media teams at NHS, PHE, Dept of Health, nor Mayor’s GLA knew when asked this week what had become of it.... I can confirm it’s gone. Circa £100 million wasted. Told staff crisis, yet 30,000 ret’d NHS folk still waiting 4 call up.."
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The one at excel?