Climate change.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Climate change.

Post by Long slender neck »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:49 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:44 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:42 am

You think?

Don’t get me wrong it’s not an overnight thing. But there’s soooo many factors that meat production impacts on the environment it feels like it might be something we have to adjust to soon. Or eat lab created meat to replace it.

Aside from the obvious impact of methane, food and water, transport, etc… the land it takes that could be used to replenish the environment would be monumental as well.
You'll need all that land to grow your vegetables.

Second time I've asked on this thread, as a percentage, how much of an impact is meat eating having?
There is more protein and iron than there is in an equivalent portion of beef. FACT.
in what?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:53 am
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:56 am 97% of electricity in Scotland is produced from renewables. Well done Nicola, where there is a good leader anything is possible.

Governments can and should set enforceable targets for clean energy production, install ground heating systems, insulate properties, mandate that new builds have solar power to produce and store enough energy to run homes,railways should be nationalised and fares slashed to make it a no brainer to use them rather than a car, their should be no internal flights of 1 hour or less within the UK, all electrical products should be easily repairable, all plastic containers replaced by returnable glass, and so on.

Not many people really need a car. At any one time only 10% of them are in use. It doesn't make sense to go to the shops in a one tonne vehicle to get a loaf.

There should be a leasing system where you can use a vehicle from a local pool and access it with a credit card or code and in time summon it to your front door driverlessly.
How much leccy does a house with solar panels typically generate?
Not sure we could replace all plastic containers with glass or how much emissions are generated by their recycling.

The rest of what you're saying makes sense, but you wont see these practical ideas being demanded by swampy and co at the next protest.
Depends how many panels it has.

It's not jusr about recycling plastic it's more about the oil used in its manufacture.

These are practical ideas that will help but until we eliminate the profit motive under capitalism we are doomed.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:59 am

Totally unrealistic and unworkable.
You think?

Don’t get me wrong it’s not an overnight thing. But there’s soooo many factors that meat production impacts on the environment it feels like it might be something we have to adjust to soon. Or eat lab created meat to replace it.

Aside from the obvious impact of methane, food and water, transport, etc… the land it takes that could be used to replenish the environment would be monumental as well.

Second time I've asked on this thread, as a percentage, how much of an impact is meat eating having?
Estimate is 14-15% of green house gas emissions come from meat production. Lab grown meat has a lot riding on it, any reduction in demand for meat in the west is going to be offset by growing demand in developing world as it gets richer.

Well established that vegetables are less land intensive to produce than meat.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Does anyone else remember when Jeremy Corbyn said the U.K must declare a climate emergency in early 2019 and nobody listened? Once again Jeremy Corbyn was right.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:58 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:53 am
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:56 am 97% of electricity in Scotland is produced from renewables. Well done Nicola, where there is a good leader anything is possible.

Governments can and should set enforceable targets for clean energy production, install ground heating systems, insulate properties, mandate that new builds have solar power to produce and store enough energy to run homes,railways should be nationalised and fares slashed to make it a no brainer to use them rather than a car, their should be no internal flights of 1 hour or less within the UK, all electrical products should be easily repairable, all plastic containers replaced by returnable glass, and so on.

Not many people really need a car. At any one time only 10% of them are in use. It doesn't make sense to go to the shops in a one tonne vehicle to get a loaf.

There should be a leasing system where you can use a vehicle from a local pool and access it with a credit card or code and in time summon it to your front door driverlessly.
How much leccy does a house with solar panels typically generate?
Not sure we could replace all plastic containers with glass or how much emissions are generated by their recycling.

The rest of what you're saying makes sense, but you wont see these practical ideas being demanded by swampy and co at the next protest.
Depends how many panels it has.

It's not jusr about recycling plastic it's more about the oil used in its manufacture.

These are practical ideas that will help but until we eliminate the profit motive under capitalism we are doomed.
I said typically. Dont you know?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:59 am

You think?

Estimate is 14-15% of green house gas emissions come from meat production. Lab grown meat has a lot riding on it, any reduction in demand for meat in the west is going to be offset by growing demand in developing world as it gets richer.

Well established that vegetables are less land intensive to produce than meat.
How much emissions does lab generated meat produce?

Still need that land though. And vegetables are yucky.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-02-19-la ... nvironment

By the sounds of it scurvy will get you way before climate change does, so wouldn't stress it.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:08 am And vegetables are yucky.
Not if you let your food eat them first.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

StockholmO wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 pm
LittleMate wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:10 pm Humans are one of the primary causes of global warming. Over time there have always been resets to the ecosystem. Famine, disease, war & natural disasters. The first three we have had under control like never before and that has been a major reason why there has been a 5 fold increase in the human population in the last 120 years. We are currently controlling (believe it or not) this Covid pandemic. The equivalent pandemic of 100 years ago, the Spanish flu, killed 20-100 million from a possible 1.8 billion. As a consequence the population grows - largely in areas that cannot afford it to grow - and so the planet suffers a burnout that will be very difficult to put right. I don't have the answer but everyone accepting a "lifestyle cut" isn't it.
Absolutely nailed it. Uncontrolled population growth is the cause of this.
Moving to a fairer society where the decision on how many children are produced is not dependent upon high mortality rates, as it is in the developing world, would help.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Beradogs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 pm Seems like we are pretty fcked.... Anyone with a glimmer of hope?
Nope. It's going to be near on impossible to get us privileged folk in the developed world to forego our luxuries, never mind expecting those in the rest of the world to halt their progress.
E8bHeXNXEAEQsWP.jpg
E8bHeXNXEAEQsWP.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Lost not Found
Fresh Alias

Post by Lost not Found »

But how much of that is producing stuff for the west we've sacked off manufacturing in this country and get our tat made abroad, a lot obviously from China made in factories powered by coal fired power stations. So trying to wash our hands of the problem blaming China is just trying to be convenient.

As alluded elsewhere on this thread the issue is people buying sh*t they don't need. Which is also the basis of Capitalism and as such we can't deal with the first issue without dealing with the second...

On a small scale example, how many people buying this years Orient kit already own an Orient shirt of some sort that they could already wear, perhaps a cotton old style one that can survive being washed more than half a dozen times?

But instead we release a new one every year to tempt people into buying more. If we didn't do this however we couldn't afford such a star studded line up, so there is pressure to sell more and more low quality plastic based garments and for fans to buy them to support the club financially.

Yes I know I'm overstating both the need to wear an Orient shirt and their effect on our playing budget, but it is just a simple example.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

You think?

There is more protein and iron in chicken peas than there is in an equivalent portion of beef. FACT.
Wrong
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

o-no wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:15 am What a depressing thread. You can already see people making their minds up about who's 'fault' it is and why them taking any individual action is pointless.

'It's overpopulation' = I don't have any/many kids so it's not me
'I sometimes have to drive a long way' = I don't want to change my car/driving habits
'What are the percentages' = I'm sure I don't do much of whatever it is, so it's not me

and let's not forget the old 'it's China/India/Russia/Brazil opening coal plants/chopping down trees etc etc' chesnut = whatever I do is futile if they do nothing, so I might as well not bother.

It all boils down to 'I want someone to do something, as long as I can carry on doing whatever I like'.

It just gets me down. Many people are smart enough to realise that urgent action is required, but don't realise that THEY are part of the masses that need to do it, and they need to start doing it right now. Here's some things that anyone can do https://www.imperial.ac.uk/stories/climate-action/

But, despite all of this - our kids are utterly buggered. There are just too many people who don't understand, do understand but don't give a sh!t, are struggling with the day-to-day, or are wilfully ignoring the science for this ever to be resolved by individual actions. Politicians of all colours need to sit down together, agree to enforce unpopular policies, and do it. That's about as likely as Lionel Messi signing for the O's.
Excellent post
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:31 pm

There is more protein and iron in chicken peas than there is in an equivalent portion of beef. FACT.
Wrong
What are chicken peas?
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Dunners wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:02 pm
Beradogs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 pm Seems like we are pretty fcked.... Anyone with a glimmer of hope?
Nope. It's going to be near on impossible to get us privileged folk in the developed world to forego our luxuries, never mind expecting those in the rest of the world to halt their progress.
I guess if it's glimmers of hope we're after then if the Chinese leadership get on board I'd expect the 1.4bn Chinese people to be a lot more compliant changing their lifestyles than 65m Brits. Something to be said for authoritarian regimes in crisis situations.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:41 pm

Wrong
What are chicken peas?
I think he meant chickpeas, which contain nowhere near as much protein or iron per serving
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Wrong
What are chicken peas?
It's when they do a number 1, and not a number 2. But that's not important right now.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:59 am

Totally unrealistic and unworkable.
You think?

https://cleanair.org/public-health/meat-industry/
In total, the UN has estimated that the meat industry generates 18% of all global greenhouse gas emissions.
Some other useful info https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/why- ... vironment/
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Dunners wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:02 pm

E8bHeXNXEAEQsWP.jpg
Its why it’s embarrassing as well as hypocritical when we moan about Brazil cutting down the Amazon. We have spent the last 200 years cutting our forests down and to such an extent we currently rank a proud 91st on the list of countries by forest area behind those green nut jobs Somalia, Libya, Pakistan and Algeria amongst others.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

British beef and lamb is okay though, so as long as we don't allow intensively farmed US and Australian meat in... Oh.

https://www.nfuonline.com/nfu-online/se ... %2F%20CO2e.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

In the last 100 odd years, we have developed a diet that is really out of sync with the previous several thousand.We eat fruit and veg all year round that is seasonal and stuff that we can't or don't grow here.

Grapes from Spain, Nectarines from South Africa, Avocados from Costa Rica. It's mental how much damage a bunch of grapes is doing to the climate.

Dont know the answer aside from lower our expectations of what we are eating but i'm as bad as anyone else for it. I have started making some more conscious decisions if things are imported but not enough really.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:46 pm

Wrong
What are chicken peas?
I think he meant chickpeas, which contain nowhere near as much protein or iron per serving
I think I did mean chick peas. Can't accept i got the iron and protein thing wrong though maybe I was thinking of the extra large ones. Is there anything scientific to back up your claim Snow"""yyyyy
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Margaret Thatcher was a visionary on this. Her decision to close coal mines and start the transition to a cleaner form of energy was a master stroke 🎣
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:22 pm Margaret Thatcher was a visionary on this. Her decision to close coal mines and start the transition to a cleaner form of energy was a master stroke 🎣
Same with Trump. His America First strategy (which Biden appears to be continuing) will mean shorter supply chains and less reliance on overseas manufacturing, all of which will reduce CO2 emissions from international freight.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:47 pm I think I did mean chick peas. Can't accept i got the iron and protein thing wrong though maybe I was thinking of the extra large ones. Is there anything scientific to back up your claim Snow"""yyyyy
Looks like it might be a draw: https://vegfaqs.com/chickpeas-vs-chicken/