Alastair Campbell expelled from Labour Party

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Alastair Campbell expelled from Labour Party

Post by Thor »

I think your right sid, I don’t think the public want a hard left party nor a hard right party either and I feel that the next election will be a war for the centre ground. Who holds that will win in my opinion.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm I think your right sid, I don’t think the public want a hard left party nor a hard right party either and I feel that the next election will be a war for the centre ground. Who holds that will win in my opinion.
Labour now thinking of going down the Remain, Peoples vote road.
Problem is the Lib Dems, Greens and Change UK have all got there before them !!
If the Torys take the leave road, only the Brexit Party to share that route with them.
So in Labours case, 4 remain parties will risk splintering off a lot of Labour votes.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

#expelmetoo is now trending as people line up to be expelled from the party.

It’s being report that Charles Clarke voted Lib Dem, Bob ainsworth voted green, and Fiona mctaggart has tweeted to the party daring them to expel her.

Tom Watson has now undermined steptoe by saying it is spiteful to resort to expulsions.

So what happens now? After taking the stance he did surely steptoe has to expel the others? It’s also interesting that Campbell has now said Blair was pressed repeatedly by the whips to suspend Steptoe as he kept on voting against the party, Blair said no.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

West Side Story wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:40 am This could be Corbyn's & the Corbynista's greatest faux pas. They have shown how spiteful & pathetic they really are. I was of similar persuasion to Campbell, although policy wise except for the Euro question, I am more in line with Corbyn's left wing views. Distrust his loving of the misogynistic Muslims. But Corbyn's behaviour over these latest issues make me distrust him more and possibly may never ever vote for Labour while he is in charge.
:lol:

Come on mate. There's loads of things to go after Jezza for. Removing a sh*t-stirring blairite for publicly boasting about how he voted for another party on live tv isn't one of them.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm I think your right sid, I don’t think the public want a hard left party nor a hard right party either and I feel that the next election will be a war for the centre ground. Who holds that will win in my opinion.

This is the worst analysis ever. The centre ground (right of centre, anyway) days are over. People are further left or right than they have ever been.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:39 pm
West Side Story wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:40 am This could be Corbyn's & the Corbynista's greatest faux pas. They have shown how spiteful & pathetic they really are. I was of similar persuasion to Campbell, although policy wise except for the Euro question, I am more in line with Corbyn's left wing views. Distrust his loving of the misogynistic Muslims. But Corbyn's behaviour over these latest issues make me distrust him more and possibly may never ever vote for Labour while he is in charge.

Come on mate. There's loads of things to go after Jezza for. Removing a sh*t blairite for publicly boasting about how he voted for another party on live tv isn't one of them.
Personally I can’t stand campbell and I’ve met him and he’s as smarmy in real life as he is on tv. Anyway, I’m convinced the move was made to deflect from the human rights group investigation into labour, a deflect move from the party.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:43 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Come on mate. There's loads of things to go after Jezza for. Removing a sh*t blairite for publicly boasting about how he voted for another party on live tv isn't one of them.
Personally I can’t stand campbell and I’ve met him and he’s as smarmy in real life as he is on tv. Anyway, I’m convinced the move was made to deflect from the human rights group investigation into labour, a deflect move from the party.
I take my above statement back, this is the worst analysis ever.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

True though, why else would they expel him on the same day the party is being investigated by human rights?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

If ever anyone needed it explaining just how stacked the cards are, compare and contrast the reactions to Lord Heseltine having the whip removed after announcing he was voting for the Lib Dems last week, to the absolute media meltdown about campbell being removed.

It's laughable.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:49 pm True though, why else would they expel him on the same day the party is being investigated by human rights?
Don't think the investigation gets wrapped up in one day with the report coming out later this evening.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:52 pm
Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:49 pm True though, why else would they expel him on the same day the party is being investigated by human rights?
Don't think the investigation gets wrapped up in one day with the report coming out later this evening.
No it doesn’t, but what better way to defect the attention away from the headlines than to expel a massive part of labour’s recent history.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Corbyn comes across as a nice guy to have as a next door Neighbour or to share an allotment with but I dont like his left wing politics. As to what side to choose on Brexit, well the Labour London MPs are thinking of their own skins in choosing to back ''REMAIN'' in the Brexit debate, but the dilemma is that in any future General elections, they would then risk losing many MPs in pro Brexit ''LEAVE'' areas. Perhaps Labour and Conservative have now had their day. Fact of the matter is that most Labour voters do not have extreme left wing views and its only habit and past loyalty as to why many still vote for them.
Londons Labour Mps are.following how there constituents voted which was remain.

Blame the tories or anyone in a Leave constituency
Who didnt back the leave vote.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:26 am
Disoriented wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 pm They have made a story over nothing. His voting preferences would have been vinegar-stained chip paper by Thursday.
These Momentum types aren’t the shrewdest owls in the tree.
There was me thinking that you loved the fact that momentum run your party?

Campbell (agree with the mods post about him as person) is a shrewd operator, he knew what he was doing, he knew what would happen and I think it’s all about a bigger play being made. His comments in line with Blair being everywhere right now suggests to me that they are brewing something up.
If they are, I’ll have a pint of it.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Tom Watson calls the expulsion ‘spiteful’ and says Labour should be ‘listening rather than punishing’.

I make this common sense view about right.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Don’t disagree with you dis, but like I said earlier it undermines his boss. That’s how big the split appears to be now.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Disoriented wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm Tom Watson calls the expulsion ‘spiteful’ and says Labour should be ‘listening rather than punishing’.

I make this common sense view about right.
You can’t bend the rules, just because it’s your mate.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:51 pm If ever anyone needed it explaining just how stacked the cards are, compare and contrast the reactions to Lord Heseltine having the whip removed after announcing he was voting for the Lib Dems last week, to the absolute media meltdown about campbell being removed.

It's laughable.
There are similarities and differences. Both committed the same “crime” in the eyes of their party and both were punished.

The differences are that Whilst Hesaltine was called into the whips office for a meeting to be punished it was made clear that the situation would be reviewed should Hesaltine follow Party rules in the future. Due processes.

AC was expelled via an email and has to take legal action to reverse that expulsion. Spiteful.

Not what was done but how. One through civilised due process and the other plain vindictive.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

dOh Nut wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:51 pm If ever anyone needed it explaining just how stacked the cards are, compare and contrast the reactions to Lord Heseltine having the whip removed after announcing he was voting for the Lib Dems last week, to the absolute media meltdown about campbell being removed.

It's laughable.
There are similarities and differences. Both committed the same “crime” in the eyes of their party and both were punished.

The differences are that Whilst Hesaltine was called into the whips office for a meeting to be punished it was made clear that the situation would be reviewed should Hesaltine follow Party rules in the future. Due processes.

AC was expelled via an email and has to take legal action to reverse that expulsion. Spiteful.

Not what was done but how. One through civilised due process and the other plain vindictive.
That’s spin of mandelson proportions 👏
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:03 pm

It's laughable.

Not at all. I don’t like AC and it appears he broke the rules. If so, like Heseltine, the party are within their rights to take action.

The Tories have gone about it in a sensible way, leaving the door open to a man who has served the party well in the past. Labour action just seems spiteful and vindictive. An opportunity to rid the party of someone they don’t like. Bully boy stuff. Even some in the Labour Party use the word spiteful. It’s quite right such bully boy stuff is held to account.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

dOh Nut wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Not at all. I don’t like AC and it appears he broke the rules. If so, like Heseltine, the party are within their rights to take action.

The Tories have gone about it in a sensible way, leaving the door open to a man who has served the party well in the past. Labour action just seems spiteful and vindictive. An opportunity to rid the party of someone they don’t like. Bully boy stuff. Even some in the Labour Party use the word spiteful. It’s quite right such bully boy stuff is held to account.

Dohpy expulsion under LP rules is automatic for what AC did. No action necessary.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Lord Heseltine is still a Lord in the House of Lords.

What even is Campbell?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Lord Heseltine is still a Lord in the House of Lords.

What even is Campbell?
My understanding is that removing the whip expels the person from the party but has no effect on their standing as an MP or member of the Lords where they simply become an Independent. Campbell, love him or loath him, has been a committed member of the Labour Party and significant contributor to past successes. Both, despite their transgressions deserve a little respect from within the party they love. Heseltine was afforded that courtesy, Campbell was not. I dare say had he been treated with the same respect as Tarzan, it too would have been a brief non-story.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Yes, Heseltine is still a member of the Lords. I get that.

But what is Campbell? Just a rent a gob doing the rounds on tv putting the boot into the Labour Party. He’s a mere member of the party, no more, no less. If I boasted about voting for another party at an election, I’d expect to be kicked out of the party. Why is he any different?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Anyone with kids knows, when that kid is having a tantrum, you don’t kitty foot around them. Do that and they’ll think they can get away with it forever. You have to let them know their behaviour is not acceptable.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 pm Yes, Heseltine is still a member of the Lords. I get that.

But what is Campbell? Just a rent a gob doing the rounds on tv putting the boot into the Labour Party. He’s a mere member of the party, no more, no less. If I boasted about voting for another party at an election, I’d expect to be kicked out of the party. Why is he any different?
I don’t think anybody is saying he should not be punished if he broke the rules. It’s the way the party went about it, something people within the Labour Party echo. I think what we are seeing are a lot of hysterical comments about him. His allegiance over many years to Labour is beyond question. It has emerged Corbyn too has voted against Labour.

This action to me is a symptom of something really nasty taking place where hard line nasty people are taking over and god help anybody uttering a word against Labour.