Venezuela

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Venezuela

Post by Max B Gold »

BoniO wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 am
Max B Gold wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:49 pm
Redcard wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:48 pm Stealing Whose oil?. Scotland gets more cash per capita from Westminster than England.
Wrong. Try again.
Data below from www.parliament.uk - I can't vouch for it's 100% accuracy but where else would better figures be?

"In 2017/18, public spending per person in the UK as a whole was £9,350. In England, it was £9,080 (3% below the UK average). This compares with:

Scotland: £10,881 (16% above the UK average)
Wales: £10,397 (11% above the UK average)
Northern Ireland £11,190 (20% above the UK average).
Among the English regions, public spending per person was lowest in the South East at £8,297 (11% below the UK average) and highest in London at £10,323 (10% higher than the UK average).

The data shown are for public expenditure per person and are taken from HM Treasury’s Country and regional analysis: 2018, which contains more detailed information including spending by function (health, education etc)."
These numbers only show the public spending allocated by Westminster. This completely ignores the wealth flow of oil into the UK coffers. It's like I said we are being robbed. We must be the only country in the world to discover oil and end up poorer.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

But "spending per capita" i.e. what the data shows, is what was being discussed. The data clearly shows that, per capita, Scotland gets around 20% more than England. This massive imbalance in favour of Scotland goes a long way to make up for any perceived unfairness in the distribution of oil wealth.
Secondly, Scotland is part of the UK last time I checked. To me it's right and proper that the whole of the UK share this wealth. It's an accident of nature that the oil was found off the Scottish coast. How would you, and your fellow Scots, have reacted if the oil had been found off the Isle of Wight and if Westminster had then declared that it was "English Oil". I think I know the answer to that one.
Lastly, I abhor all this Nationalistic BS anyway.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

BoniO wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:04 pm But "spending per capita" i.e. what the data shows, is what was being discussed. The data clearly shows that, per capita, Scotland gets around 20% more than England. This massive imbalance in favour of Scotland goes a long way to make up for any perceived unfairness in the distribution of oil wealth.
Secondly, Scotland is part of the UK last time I checked. To me it's right and proper that the whole of the UK share this wealth. It's an accident of nature that the oil was found off the Scottish coast. How would you, and your fellow Scots, have reacted if the oil had been found off the Isle of Wight and if Westminster had then declared that it was "English Oil". I think I know the answer to that one.
My answer to your first point is mother of God you can't be serious.

To the second point my answer is so what. It's our oil.

My answer to your point on nationalism is agreed.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:31 pm
BoniO wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:04 pm But "spending per capita" i.e. what the data shows, is what was being discussed. The data clearly shows that, per capita, Scotland gets around 20% more than England. This massive imbalance in favour of Scotland goes a long way to make up for any perceived unfairness in the distribution of oil wealth.
My answer to your first point is mother of God you can't be serious.

To the second point my answer is so what. It's our oil.

My answer to your point on nationalism is agreed.
Oh well, agreement on 2 points is great!

We are in agreement on point 3.

We are in agreement on point 2 as well, it is our oil.

Re Point 1, well Point 2 almost makes that irrelevant really. Hurrah!