Tories reach new low

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BoniO
Regular
Regular

Re: Tories reach new low

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:52 pm Just maybe our trust is a good one? It's not rocket science is it? We have good schools, we have good open spaces, we have good doctors all under tory control. No sign of any left wing zealots where I live, just good services.
Ever wondered why a Tory stronghold can provide better services than a poor run-down inner city labour borough? Might it have something to do with a slight imbalance in budgets? Hint - the answer rhymes with less (and that's what the run-down borough gets even though it's needs are much greater).
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

That may well be true, but its also about living within your means is it not? My council for example did not raise council tax for something like 7 years, services are good, my grass verge gets cut every few weeks now and more frequently in the growing season. My street is cleaned every week with the road sweeper machines, I guess it helps we don't have cars on the road. Services are not cut, it's a clean and tidy place to live. If they can do it why can't others?

I remember reading earlier this year about some council up north with hundreds of millions of cash locked down cos of woodford. When that council is struggling why are they sitting on so much cash?

I do believe it comes down to who runs your council. I've lived under labour councils, I've lived under tory councils, I've lived under lib dems and the tory ones are run better, from my experience. Labour are the worst run ones, why is that?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

😂

Are you any nearer to deciding who you’re going to vote for yet, out of interest?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Where do you live Thor?
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

RedO wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:42 pm 😂

Are you any nearer to deciding who you’re going to vote for yet, out of interest?
Green Party
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 pm Where do you live Thor?
The garden of england.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Politicians by their nature don't seem to understand demographics and this is particularly true of Health and Social care. I suppose it part of the tetchy 'we don't need experts' when, like a naughty child, they are told they are wrong. The present situation was predicted many years ago as the demographic of the population was getting older, yes Boris there are more peole using it, we knew that it would happen, but you made it worse by not setting enough funds aside so that it could be coped with. Austerity made it worse by underfunding social care and placing more families in poverty, yes the poor get ill because they live in bad conditions and have less food.

Why are there not enough GPs? A look at the demographic of GPs will show exactly how many would be reaching retirement age and when, but this was ignored by sucessive governments who made no attempt to increase training places to cope with these losses. They just filled some of the gaps with doctors from overseas. I any government ever gets immigration down to tens of thousands they will all have to be doctors. Many of the retiring GPs had been partners in their own practices, but younger doctors do not want the onus of running a practice, with all its problems of renting buildings, hiring staff and paying enormous heating bills. The are happier doing half a dozern sessions a week in someone elses surgery.

This has all led to many surgery closures, in Brighton we have gone from over fifty seven years ago to under forty now, in each case it causes distress and disruption. I have been involved in two closures from the point of veiw of helping to set up advice sessions for displaced patients. They were not fun evenings.

On the point of 'overpaid penpushers'. There are organisational norms for the number of people that one person can manage. These 'teams' are what turn, layer by layer, into the pyramid structure of the organisation. If you try and go over these norms productivity plummets because there too many things for the supervisor to do. This is part of the problem in the NHS, the huge list of unfilled vacancies, in the thousands, will include many management jobs unfilled because the wages are much less than other areas of the economy. Should not a senior in the NHS not have the same sort of remuneration as one in a private company if they have the same number of staff?

Mikero
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:43 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-50501097

How low can they go?

Absolutely disgusting, is this the Political party any decent person should consider voting for ?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Mikero wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:46 am Politicians by their nature don't seem to understand demographics and this is particularly true of Health and Social care. I suppose it part of the tetchy 'we don't need experts' when, like a naughty child, they are told they are wrong. The present situation was predicted many years ago as the demographic of the population was getting older, yes Boris there are more peole using it, we knew that it would happen, but you made it worse by not setting enough funds aside so that it could be coped with. Austerity made it worse by underfunding social care and placing more families in poverty, yes the poor get ill because they live in bad conditions and have less food.

Why are there not enough GPs? A look at the demographic of GPs will show exactly how many would be reaching retirement age and when, but this was ignored by sucessive governments who made no attempt to increase training places to cope with these losses. They just filled some of the gaps with doctors from overseas. I any government ever gets immigration down to tens of thousands they will all have to be doctors. Many of the retiring GPs had been partners in their own practices, but younger doctors do not want the onus of running a practice, with all its problems of renting buildings, hiring staff and paying enormous heating bills. The are happier doing half a dozern sessions a week in someone elses surgery.

This has all led to many surgery closures, in Brighton we have gone from over fifty seven years ago to under forty now, in each case it causes distress and disruption. I have been involved in two closures from the point of veiw of helping to set up advice sessions for displaced patients. They were not fun evenings.

On the point of 'overpaid penpushers'. There are organisational norms for the number of people that one person can manage. These 'teams' are what turn, layer by layer, into the pyramid structure of the organisation. If you try and go over these norms productivity plummets because there too many things for the supervisor to do. This is part of the problem in the NHS, the huge list of unfilled vacancies, in the thousands, will include many management jobs unfilled because the wages are much less than other areas of the economy. Should not a senior in the NHS not have the same sort of remuneration as one in a private company if they have the same number of staff?

Mikero
I worked most of my life in the private sector and the answer to your question about NHS pay is: No they shouldn't be paid the same as the private sector. They should be paid more.

This is because they are better managers who make far better use of limited resources and achieve remarkable results. The private sector, especially banking, insurance, financial services and other similar parasitic activities are sclerotic inefficient businesses with poor man management.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:43 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-50501097

How low can they go?

What is the problem?

It is the choice of the Dunn family to issue the proceedings against the government. There is no necessity for them to do so. Even if they win this case, it won't change the fact that the alleged driver is out of the jurisdiction and can't be brought back.

In litigation, the loser pays the winners legal costs. Bring a case wholly without legal merit and you should have to pay the winners costs.

If the Dunn family have a case, then they will win their claim and the government will have to pay the winners (the Dunn family's) costs.

If they don't have a case, then they will lose and they should have to pay the winners costs
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Hang on, Pretti Patel is gonna have a go at plumbing new depths:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 11741.html
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

RedO wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:09 pm Hang on, Pretti Patel is gonna have a go at plumbing new depths:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 11741.html
What a joke she is, she can’t defend what is indefensible!
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

She is one piece of sh*t!
Tories showing their true right wing colours.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

cockhat wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 pm She is one piece of sh*t!
Tories showing their true right wing colours.
better get used to it then :lol:
Oforever
Fresh Alias

Post by Oforever »

Crikey what a raft of daft comments. If you don't support the Conservative party why not look at threads about a party you do support? This board needs to get back to football.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:03 pm
Mikero wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:46 am Politicians by their nature don't seem to understand demographics and this is particularly true of Health and Social care. I suppose it part of the tetchy 'we don't need experts' when, like a naughty child, they are told they are wrong. The present situation was predicted many years ago as the demographic of the population was getting older, yes Boris there are more peole using it, we knew that it would happen, but you made it worse by not setting enough funds aside so that it could be coped with. Austerity made it worse by underfunding social care and placing more families in poverty, yes the poor get ill because they live in bad conditions and have less food.

Mikero
I worked most of my life in the private sector and the answer to your question about NHS pay is: No they shouldn't be paid the same as the private sector. They should be paid more.

This is because they are better managers who make far better use of limited resources and achieve remarkable results. The private sector, especially banking, insurance, financial services and other similar parasitic activities are sclerotic inefficient businesses with poor man management.
Max. They are and have been for the last 10 years. This is without there pension and enhanced benefits compared to the private sector.

Having worked in both. Public sector is much better in terms of quality of life, ie - much less time at work. Private sector - working week up to 60 hours, public 35 hours, occasionally more, but much less pressure. I now work for self, no crap, no issues but 45-55 hours a week - quality of life much better. But no sick/holiday or pension contributions.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I think you need to back up Para 1 with some stats.

I've been self employed for 10 years now and I agree it has greatly improved my quality of life. I take a lot more holidays and if the weather is looking good I take days off to go camping and fishing.

Luckily with a few astute property deals and stashing it away into pensions when I was working I'm in a healthy position. You can still put money into a pension and insure with one of the sclerotic institutions mentioned above for sickness.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:12 pm I think you need to back up Para 1 with some stats.

I've been self employed for 10 years now and I agree it has greatly improved my quality of life. I take a lot more holidays and if the weather is looking good I take days off to go camping and fishing.

Luckily with a few astute property deals and stashing it away into pensions when I was working I'm in a healthy position. You can still put money into a pension and insure with one of the sclerotic institutions mentioned above for sickness.
Surely as a wealth builder, you will be voting Tory as they are the party for people with wealth and aspirations. Your above post certainly conflicts with your Marxists view. Very strange.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

I'm sure that not everyone on the Titanic's lifeboats were kicking people back into the water as they tried to save themselves. Some were probably offering a hand.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:04 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:12 pm I think you need to back up Para 1 with some stats.

Surely as a wealth builder, you will be voting Tory as they are the party for people with wealth and aspirations. Your above post certainly conflicts with your Marxists view. Very strange.
There is no conflict. I live in a capitalist economy. I have no choice but to work hard and earn some money.

You do know Karl Marx made a lot of money playing the stock exchange don't you?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

The saddest thing is that the majority will either not know or care about their dirty tricks campaign and they'll still win.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again the law needs to be changed so that political parties are held accountable for lying. Until that happens they'll ride roughshod over the populace