New manager shortlist.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: New manager shortlist.

Post by o-no »

Long shot, but I wonder if Alex Inglethorpe might be interested.

Ex-O, academy director at Liverpool (with whom we have a connection of sorts). I think he did OK at Exeter a while ago.

I could go for that.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Guessing we should get a better indication today regarding Calderwood, surely a journo will manage to ask him the question about it.

Can't see why Inglethorpe would come, the past club link is quite tenuous considering he has put in more time at other clubs. He's carved out a great niche for himself with good job security at the current European Champions, so to take a mega pay cut at League Two strugglers makes no sense.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

o-no wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 am Long shot, but I wonder if Alex Inglethorpe might be interested.

Ex-O, academy director at Liverpool (with whom we have a connection of sorts). I think he did OK at Exeter a while ago.

I could go for that.
Connection with them? Orient are sponsored by The Sun’s fantasy football game 🙄
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Calderwood is definitely rated as a coach. The problem is that he's pretty dour in personality and football philosophy. If you can get your head around ultra-pragmatic football and an interview style that would make even a Jehova's Witness' rictus grin falter then you'll take to him. If not...
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

eagwgw wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:04 am Guessing we should get a better indication today regarding Calderwood, surely a journo will manage to ask him the question about it.

Can't see why Inglethorpe would come, the past club link is quite tenuous considering he has put in more time at other clubs. He's carved out a great niche for himself with good job security at the current European Champions, so to take a mega pay cut at League Two strugglers makes no sense.
I agree it's unlikely, but people leave well paid jobs all the time to be top-dog somewhere else
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

He already is top dog at Liverpool in his own area though. If he genuinely had the itch to be a mens coach he could have gone any time already. I don't believe we occupy any real attraction for him as a past club.

We've gambled once using an academy coach in a mens team, think it would be fairly naive to try it again even if he is a bit more proven.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

As I've said before , going by our recent history , I doubt we'll be going for anybody who's already currently employed . IMO, just look at the managers who are unemployed and our new Manager / Head Coach will be amongst that list .
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Neil Smith at Bromley is doing well. Sammy Moore has done very well everywhere he's been. Had a great season at Leatherhead. Would have got Concord promoted if it wasn't for their ground. He's currently got Hemel Hempstead second in the Conference South. My only concern would be his "Ongoing Personal Problems". https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... s-manager/
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:07 am
o-no wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 am Long shot, but I wonder if Alex Inglethorpe might be interested.

I could go for that.
Connection with them? Orient are sponsored by The Sun’s fantasy football game 🙄
not the connection he was talking about, think Fenway Sports Group.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Eat The Rich wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:10 am Calderwood is definitely rated as a coach. The problem is that he's pretty dour in personality and football philosophy. If you can get your head around ultra-pragmatic football and an interview style that would make even a Jehova's Witness' rictus grin falter then you'll take to him. If not...
Personally I’d be quite happy if our new manager ( whoever it may be) has a dour personality / football philosophy if results improve under him and he can drive the team forward. Fans will usually stick by winning teams.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

point nine one eight wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:52 pm
Disoriented wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:05 pm Please no to Calderwood.
Ok then, but who would you prefer
Phil Parkinson, but don’t think it will happen.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Phil Parkinson all day long...
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:02 pm
point nine one eight wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:52 pm
Disoriented wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:05 pm Please no to Calderwood.
Ok then, but who would you prefer
Phil Parkinson, but don’t think it will happen.
Interesting Idea about Phil Parkinson, what's your thinking behind that choice, off the top of my head can't remember to much about him, so why would you choose him and why do you think it won't happen, i'm curious to know
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

He has done very well at every club ( bar Hull) he has managed. I thought he was excellent at Colchester and Bradford in particular. Also, under difficult circumstances at Bolton, he did well. Seems to have an excellent temperament too - tough but composed.

Would be an excellent choice, Tax.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

Agree re Parkinson.

There are a few tried and trusted managers in the betting, and instinct says we need one of them - it worked with JE after all, and previously RS.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I just wish they'd hurry up. Every game with Ross in charge, we slip further down the league
Lovely fella, but clueless head coach IMO
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:13 am I just wish they'd hurry up. Every game with Ross in charge, we slip further down the league
Sums the situation up perfectly!
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

PoundhillO wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:09 am
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:13 am I just wish they'd hurry up. Every game with Ross in charge, we slip further down the league
Does it? We're in the same position as we were before Saturday's game and closer to three of the four teams immediately above.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:28 am
PoundhillO wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:09 am
Does it? We're in the same position as we were before Saturday's game and closer to three of the four teams immediately above.
And that same position was as untenable after Saturdays game as it was before.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

No rush really.
We ain't gonna be promoted, or relegated. I'd rather take time.

Not much of a fan of Calderwood, there would be something similar to Ross that he is only in the job because of who he knows. If he had no connection to Ling, it would be quite uninspiring. His best days were a long time ago, and he took Cambridge from 22nd in December last year to 21st at the end of the season. Yes, he was dealt a bad hand, but equally you could argue that the same case is so here, so there isn't much evidence he could deliver improvements out of what he had to work with. With so many 2-year contract renewals I don't think there will be many changes in the summer.

The nagging feeling I get is that the priority is to protect the culture of the club. Important in some ways but I also think that potentially this could become a bit of a distraction in itself.

I do feel quite disappointed that there was no testimonial game for Justin, and this could have represented a time for the fans to say goodbye and that represents a cut-off, we have to move on.

He should have some permanent recognition at the club for sure, but I see stuff like putting pictures of him in the dressing room before games as a little unhelpful for a new man.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Yep, waiting a little longer and getting the best candidate is clearly the most sensible plan.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

EastDerehamO wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:39 am Agree re Parkinson.

There are a few tried and trusted managers in the betting, and instinct says we need one of them - it worked with JE after all, and previously RS.
This all day long. After what we've been through as a club it's vital this next appointment is the right one . Phil Parkinson would be an excellent choice . Of course though, is he interested in us and could we get him .
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Disoriented wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:14 am He has done very well at every club ( bar Hull) he has managed. I thought he was excellent at Colchester and Bradford in particular. Also, under difficult circumstances at Bolton, he did well. Seems to have an excellent temperament too - tough but composed.

Would be an excellent choice, Tax.
OK see what you mean. I was thinking Russell Slade who could settle club down or Andy Edwards our old coach now at the FA
Then Sol Campbell, for an exciting ride at least, If they ain't coming then i'd follow your line of thought, makes sense
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:33 pm Yep, waiting a little longer and getting the best candidate is clearly the most sensible plan.
One born every minute.
Waiting nearly 4 months now.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:41 pm
EastDerehamO wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:39 am Agree re Parkinson.

This all day long. After what we've been through as a club it's vital this next appointment is the right one . Phil Parkinson would be an excellent choice . Of course though, is he interested in us and could we get him .
This bloke is out of our league.
No chance.