Brophy

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Re: Brophy

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Redcard wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:55 pm Brophy is obviously a better attacker and Widdowson a much better defender. Take your pick.
And that is exactly the choice. The same choice that saw Caprice replaced by Ling. Caprice the better going forward and Ling the better defender. The choice made then favoured defensive skills over attacking skills.

Ross will have the same choice now. I suspect he will go the same way as JE, favouring a stronger defence at the expense of boosting the attack. The Widdowson/Ling defensive combo (I thought Ling was very good defensively Saturday) added to a decent trio in Happe, Coulson and Ekpiteta in my opinion is very strong, even for L2. Priority one, done concede.

Brophy on the bench gives Ross the opportunity to change things around down the left when the needs arise So I expect Widdowson to play with Brophy on the bench. Lots of pressure on Clay, JMD and Wright to create opportunities for the front two, or chip in themselves, with the odd forays from Ling and Widdowson.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

It is you who cannot comprehend different roles and formations.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:52 pm It is you who cannot comprehend different roles and formations.
For gods sake stop making yourself look like a silly little boy and join in the real debate. If you think after 60:years of watching Orient I don’t understand roles and formations then you are frankly an idiot.

So stop acting like a child and join in the real debate. If you can.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:01 pm Most successful dribbles in LEAGUE TWO this wkend👇

8 - James Brophy
7 - Courtney Senior
7 - Keshi Anderson
6 - Daniel Powell
6 - Kgosi Ntlhe
6 - Harry McKirdy
5 - Berry Labula
5 - Manny Oyeleke
5 - Ryan Colclough
5 - Kaiyne Woolery
He dribbles better than a teething baby, but he won't be appearing in the top 10 on the number of assists or goals based on past performance.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

What is the real debate? Is it like the real world?

It would be a travesty to bench a player like Brophy. You seem to have decided he can't defend based on one game where he wasn't even tested.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:15 am What is the real debate? Is it like the real world?

It would be a travesty to bench a player like Brophy. You seem to have decided he can't defend based on one game where he wasn't even tested.
He’s been watching Orient for 60 years. He obviously knows more than everyone else about football
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Isn't this the same DoH who still wont stop raving about Jake Caprice and how we f*cked up letting him go? Literally one of the worst defenders I've ever seen in an Orient shirt.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 am Isn't this the same DoH who still wont stop raving about Jake Caprice and how we f*cked up letting him go? Literally one of the worst defenders I've ever seen in an Orient shirt.
You clearly have not seen some of the dire ones going back into the 90's!
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm Will you admit that LB LWB are different positions?
Ive covered this. I’m referring to the generic role these players are being compared for. I frankly don’t give a toss whether people call them LB, LWB, Defender, attacking full back, defensive wing back or whether we are plYong 442 532 352 5212 or whatever is flavour of the day. I was comparing Widdowson and Brophy and their merits in the role they occupy. A concept beyond your comprehension.

I find it redious in the extreme when people don’t have the imagination to look at the bigger picture. Tiny minds.

Shame, but there you are.
You should give a toss though, because a player's role and its requirements depends on the system he's playing in.

Also just watching football matches over a long time doesn't mean you have a good understanding of the game. I've seen guys at Orient who must have been going for 95 years and they're still completely clueless
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

But maybe they don't look at the bigger picture, MS?
Fisch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fisch »

This would be a good debate.... if only
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 am Isn't this the same DoH who still wont stop raving about Jake Caprice and how we f*cked up letting him go? Literally one of the worst defenders I've ever seen in an Orient shirt.
Yet currently playing in L1 after being ever present in a promoted L2 side!
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

jamespevans wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:37 pm
And their player of the year...
Blackadder II
Fresh Alias

Post by Blackadder II »

I thought we all went to football matches to watch football matches. When we are driving away from the ground we talk about how various players played and the various merits of the opposing teams. We certainly don't talk about formations, what players play in what positions. The players are picked to play in those positions, so just get on with it and for f*ck's sake stop analysing everything.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

My point was that DoH is saying Brophy can't defend and therefore Widdowson should play over him. Despite this, he loves Caprice, who similar to Borphy, excels as a wing back and not a full back. There is a difference when comparing players, but he cant see the irony in his arguments.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Widdowson has more hair in fairness
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:07 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:15 am What is the real debate? Is it like the real world?

He’s been watching Orient for 60 years. He obviously knows more than everyone else about football
Where exactly did I say that? You are being an idiot, I am saying that.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

LittleMate wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:38 pm
I still cannot understand the anti Caprice stuff. History has proven his critics wrong. Get over it.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

dOh Nut wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:57 pm

I still cannot understand the anti Caprice stuff. History has proven his critics wrong. Get over it.
It's because he is a good wing back but a poor ... never mind.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:07 pm

It's because he is a good wing back but a poor ... never mind.
Literally beyond parody :lol:
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

How was my comment anti? I actually liked Caprice....
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

LittleMate wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:23 pm

How was my comment anti? I actually liked Caprice....
The comment from AW was and has disappeared. See a few posts above. The children are at playtime. Sad.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm Will you admit that LB LWB are different positions?
Ive covered this. I’m referring to the generic role these players are being compared for. I frankly don’t give a toss whether people call them LB, LWB, Defender, attacking full back, defensive wing back or whether we are plYong 442 532 352 5212 or whatever is flavour of the day. I was comparing Widdowson and Brophy and their merits in the role they occupy. A concept beyond your comprehension.

I find it redious in the extreme when people don’t have the imagination to look at the bigger picture. Tiny minds.

Shame, but there you are.
You should give a toss though, because a player's role and its requirements depends on the system he's playing in.

Also just watching football matches over a long time doesn't mean you have a good understanding of the game. I've seen guys at Orient who must have been going for 95 years and they're still completely clueless
95 years. Guys, plural. Impressive years watching far exceeds your IQ is my guess. 😂
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm
My point was that DoH is saying Brophy can't defend and therefore Widdowson should play over him. Despite this, he loves Caprice, who similar to Borphy, excels as a wing back and not a full back. There is a difference when comparing players, but he cant see the irony in his arguments.
Exactly where did I say Brophy can’t defend. I didn’t.

What I said was Widdowson is a better defender than Brophy. This is based on Widdowson being defender with 10 years experience in the role, Brophy hasn’t that experience as a defender. Suggests to me Widdowson is the better defender. Could be wrong but the evidence is compelling.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

I think we can all agree that Widdowson is a more experienced defender than Brophy . To what extent he is “ better” remains to be seen I think, given that Brophy has had so little time playing in the LB/LWB on which to form an opinion. As I said earlier I think it is a moot point as my impression is that Brophy was only playing in that role on Saturday due to injury and that RE will probably opt for Widdowson when fit on the basis that he is more of a known quantity.