Harlow FC

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Harlow FC

Post by Proposition Joe »

I think people are being too kind by dignifying the idea with responses at all, let alone well reasoned points.
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:06 pm I think people are being too kind by dignifying the idea with responses at all, let alone well reasoned points.
Oooo someone’s getting their nickers in a twist. 😚

If the club think they can expand and there is no room In Walthamstow borough where would you suggest??

Did the fans all leave when they renamed/moved from Clapton to Leyton? or when we just called ourselves Orient? They must have left in their droves when we gave up the Glyn Cricket club name. X
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

What's Walthamstow Borough?

Otherwise, well done on comparing things that aren't the same.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Frogger wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:39 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:06 pm I think people are being too kind by dignifying the idea with responses at all, let alone well reasoned points.
Oooo someone’s getting their nickers in a twist. 😚

If the club think they can expand and there is no room In Walthamstow borough where would you suggest??

Did the fans all leave when they renamed/moved from Clapton to Leyton? or when we just called ourselves Orient? They must have left in their droves when we gave up the Glyn Cricket club name. X
As nearby as possible. Not some dull town in Essex.
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

A dull town in Essex. That could be a description of Leyton when Orient moved there.

I just don't get this constant rubbishing of Harlow
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:56 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:09 pm The club and council ran a feasibility study two or three years back and there were literally no suitable sites for LOFC to relocate to within Waltham Forest, there was a site available at Fairlop Waters but nothing came of it. the chances of us relocating in Leyton are very very slim.
Why do we need to relocate?
The club have been looking at options for sometime, preference would be to stay in Leyton failing that somewhere in Waltham Forest. Danny Macklin spent some time along with the LBWF planners looking at potential sites. conclusion was that there was nothing suitable in Leyton or any areas in Waltham Forest. The board know that if the club is to grow they cant do it with maximum 9,000 crowds in a ground we basically rent. I think with the ambitious American presence now on the board of directors this is being pushed forward as a more pressing issue and more so given our league position.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Harlow wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:40 pm A dull town in Essex. That could be a description of Leyton when Orient moved there.

Because it’s more than our 1.5 mile move in 1937.
PotatOhead
Fresh Alias

Post by PotatOhead »

Harlow wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:40 pm A dull town in Essex. That could be a description of Leyton when Orient moved there.

To be fair it does have a Five Guys
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

PotatOhead wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:48 am

To be fair it does have a Five Guys
Now that is a sh1t over priced burger bar. However it does have several Greggs.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Do you happen to live near Harlow? I dont know why its often touted as a place the club could relocate to.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

If we do go there, may as well relocate to the dog track. For sentimental reasons alone we could purchase the naming rights and call it Millfields Stadium or even “The New Millfields”. Would be ample space to attract the 2000 or so Harlow Orient supporters.
Last edited by Orient Punxx on Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Our owners are not stupid enough to ditch the massive the advantage that Orient has, which is being a London based club with decent transport links. Nearly every example I can think of where a club has moved out of town to a remote location has not worked. Harlow has a population a third the size of Waltham Forest's alone. Millions of people can access Leyton within 30-45 mins. Harlow is on a commuter route on the overground miles outside of London.

If you look at Brentford or Wimbledon, they tied their new ground moves into massive property developments surrounding the stadium. That'd have to be the approach we'd take. Sites like the Spitalfield market or around the Lea Bridge area would probably work for that, and the Spitalfield market site is already undergoing some sketching out of how it will be redeveloped as the City of London corporation will be moving all their markets to a new site.

I'd be really surprised if the ownership weren't at least engaging in that process as that would seem to be the only viable opportunity to keep Orient in the Leyton area and has a lot of room to play with. The lost development opportunity there through building of a new ground would be made up for by redeveloping Brisbane road.

Imagine the issue is that it's probably come too soon for the ownership seeing as we're still in league 2 and only selling out 1 in every 5 or 6 games (if that). It's a hell of a gamble to spend tens of millions in a bleak economic climate on a club that could still easily be kicking around League 2 or worse by the time it's completed, when we have a stadium that is more or less fine for current purposes.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Orient Punxx wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:22 pm

Exactly. May as well move to Milton Keynes in the eyes of a fair few. I'd go far less if it were in Harlow as I have no affinity to the area (even though I work there), whereas I drive past/through where I grew up in getting to the ground now.

Just one point on Harlow FC. It does not have the potential - in my opinion - to build a ground that holds more than ours does now. It has no decent transport links (1.5 miles to the station) and no easy parking. The infrastructure requirements to make this a reality would be cost prohibitive beyond belief.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:32 am
Orient Punxx wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:22 pm

Exactly. May as well move to Milton Keynes in the eyes of a fair few. I'd go far less if it were in Harlow as I have no affinity to the area (even though I work there), whereas I drive past/through where I grew up in getting to the ground now.

Just one point on Harlow FC. It does not have the potential - in my opinion - to build a ground that holds more than ours does now. It has no decent transport links (1.5 miles to the station) and no easy parking. The infrastructure requirements to make this a reality would be cost prohibitive beyond belief.
I live in a nice area in Harlow and like living there..............BUT I dont think its a suitable place for Leyton Orient to relocate to, especially not to the current Harlow F.C ground. What about Loughton, Buckhurst hill areas, Ilford or Woodford perhaps ?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

No.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Take the club out of east London and its identity disappears overnight. It’s as simple as that.

I don’t know why anyone would trade identity for a hypothetically slightly bigger stadium next to a retail park somewhere
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Why not wait for the Spitalfields site to become available? If and when they move to Dagenham.
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

I have been defending my town against the rubbishing going on here but I would not advocate Orient moving here
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

There's no reason to slag Harlow off. It's just a stupid idea to suggest we move Leyton Orient Football Club to CM20.
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:15 pm What's Walthamstow Borough?

Ok you got me on the borough, but I think the move and name changes are similar.

MK Dons have not done too bad and still pull in 8-10k that is with a population of around 200k

Harlow is close to 100k plenty of support and very similar to Leyton.

To be honest I don’t really care if the move or stay, I will still attend games where I can and will carry on supporting the O’s
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Frogger wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:33 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:15 pm What's Walthamstow Borough?

Ok you got me on the borough, but I think the move and name changes are similar.

MK Dons have not done too bad and still pull in 8-10k that is with a population of around 200k

Harlow is close to 100k plenty of support and very similar to Leyton.

To be honest I don’t really care if the move or stay, I will still attend games where I can and will carry on supporting the O’s
How many would go to harlow though might as well wait untill col u go bust & move in there & redevelop there concrete bowl .
soloman
Fresh Alias

Post by soloman »

I would think Melbourne park in the fair city of Chelmsford would be another place to relocate to . Plenty of room to expand and a community groundshare with Chelmsford would keep the locals sweet . I think a lot of our fans come from that area.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

soloman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:55 pm I would think Melbourne park in the fair city of Chelmsford would be another place to relocate to . Plenty of room to expand and a community groundshare with Chelmsford would keep the locals sweet . I think a lot of our fans come from that area.
But Orient don't !
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

I think all this talk about Leyton Orient being re established in the town of Harlow is totally absurd.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

soloman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:55 pm I would think Melbourne park in the fair city of Chelmsford would be another place to relocate to . Plenty of room to expand and a community groundshare with Chelmsford would keep the locals sweet . I think a lot of our fans come from that area.
With Respect Soloman have you been to Melbourne Park ? - It's slap bang in the middle of a residential area, the ground is primarily an athletics track with terraces on wheels behind the goals and there is one road in and out and a leisure centre sharing that road. Chelmsford council I believe are now not overly thrilled with having the football club play there as a temporary solution to get Chelmsford City back into the town now looks permanent. Something needs to be thrashed out with LBWF to find a suitable plot in or at least very close to Leyton. I think the club would like a ground on the Spitalfields site but that is I believe not owned by LBWF.