Ratings - Grimsby (H)

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Ratings - Grimsby (H)

Post by LittleMate »

Top of the JES wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:15 am
JimbO wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:12 am When Playing as a CDM James was Pony gave the ball away several time and just before the goal threw it straight out for a goal kick.

When playing as the wing back was his usual self The cdm was an experiment that failed.

Having managed to catch one shot sweetly doesn't make you man of the match.
Literally no one on here has made James MOM have they ? I thought he did a bit better than OK there but he clearly wasn’t 100% fit and got caught on the ball a couple of times when they pressed him. he was in there as a stop gap until this CDM comes in. I thought it was odd starting him there with Clay on the bench, but RW knows best and we won that’s all that really matters,
James only did OK. If Coleman had been caught unawares and out of position like James did on more than a few occasions then he'd be marked a 4 or a 5. James is a clever footballer though. There were a few situations where his use of the ball was very good - and I'm ignoring his use of the left boot for the goal!
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

James was not fully fit he got caught out due to lack of match fitness…..understandable. He used the ball well and did a decent job for us.

Comparing James and Colman is like comparing a Michelin starred meal with fish and chips.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Top of the JES wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:00 pm Comparing James and Colman is like comparing a Michelin starred meal with fish and chips.
Not sure about the footballers, but personally I prefer the fish and chips.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

James got caught on the ball not because he’s lacking match fitness, it’s because he’s not a central midfielder. Totally different to any other position because you have to know what is around you on all sides.

But despite that, yeah, when he had time he sprayed the ball around much better than Colman has shown he can.
DaveDunmore
Fresh Alias

Post by DaveDunmore »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:11 pm James got caught on the ball not because he’s lacking match fitness, it’s because he’s not a central midfielder. Totally different to any other position because you have to know what is around you on all sides.

But despite that, yeah, when he had time he sprayed the ball around much better than Colman has shown he can.
🤣🤣🤣🤡
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Saying Tom James is not a central midfielder is literally the most obvious, least offensive thing Ive ever posted on here.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

He played like a right back playing in midfield, because that’s what he is. He has obvious quality so he was able to ping a few decent passes but he clearly looked a bit out of place.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:20 pm He played like a right back playing in midfield, because that’s what he is. He has obvious quality so he was able to ping a few decent passes but he clearly looked a bit out of place.
🤣😂😅🤡
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Top of the JES wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:00 pm James was not fully fit he got caught out due to lack of match fitness…..understandable. He used the ball well and did a decent job for us.

Comparing James and Colman is like comparing a Michelin starred meal with fish and chips.
If it was lack of fitness then why did RW say he got caught out a few times by his lack of awareness in playing the position. That's why Tom James is a stop gap and RW is waiting for his CDM to arrive. It seems to be a question of when as the club concerned is trying to bring someone in so we can have our man.
DaveDunmore
Fresh Alias

Post by DaveDunmore »

LittleMate wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:12 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:00 pm James was not fully fit he got caught out due to lack of match fitness…..understandable. He used the ball well and did a decent job for us.

If it was lack of fitness then why did RW say he got caught out a few times by his lack of awareness in playing the position. That's why Tom James is a stop gap and RW is waiting for his CDM to arrive. It seems to be a question of when as the club concerned is trying to bring someone in so we can have our man.
Hopefully JFC will sign this week
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

LittleMate wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:12 pm

Er he doesn’t mention lack of awareness . He praised TJ for his composure and passing no mention of him being caught out or a lack of awareness but we do need an experienced CDM it’s a position that’s been an issue for too long and TJ is the best RB in the division. Considering he had three days training in the last three weeks I thought he did a really good job for us.

Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

He says that natural midfielders know where to be fit second balls or the right body shape for receiving the ball. You don’t even have to read between the lines.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

A question for all you armchair managers on here . Your technical knowledge is far greater than mine so I was just wondering something . If TJ hadn’t been playing in midfield, would he have still been in the same position to hit a contender for goal of the season competition
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:19 pm He says that natural midfielders know where to be fit second balls or the right body shape for receiving the ball. You don’t even have to read between the lines.
And that’s true. But having been asked to do a job for the team it’s churlish to pick him up on the fact he’s not a natural midfield player, we all know that, Wellen’s wasn’t stating anything we don’t know it wasn’t a criticism of TJ just something you would expect with a RB filling in at CDM but tbh it’s not unusual that some boarders look for and pick out what they perceive as negatives even after a decent performance.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Top of the JES wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:47 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:19 pm He says that natural midfielders know where to be fit second balls or the right body shape for receiving the ball. You don’t even have to read between the lines.
And that’s true. But having been asked to do a job for the team it’s churlish to pick him up on the fact he’s not a natural midfield player, we all know that, Wellen’s wasn’t stating anything we don’t know it wasn’t a criticism of TJ just something you would expect with a RB filling in at CDM but tbh it’s not unusual that some boarders look for and pick out what they perceive as negatives even after a decent performance.
I will take that as you referring to me. What I said was that if Coleman had been caught out as many times as James was then he would have been marked as a 4 or 5 (by those who give marks).
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

One of the weirdest disagreements I’ve seen in here.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:18 pm
I will take that as you referring to me. What I said was that if Coleman had been caught out as many times as James was then he would have been marked as a 4 or 5 (by those who give marks).
It wasn't aimed at you in particular, there are a few on here who constantly pick the negatives out of the team. If Colman put in a performance worthy of a 7 or 8 that would be great and I for one would be delighted. He just needs to win his place back and do it. Are you going to correct your remark that Wellens criticised TJ directly because he didnt did he? He made a general point about Central Midfield players there was no direct criticism of TJ as you claimed.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:44 pm One of the weirdest disagreements I’ve seen in here.
Not really just you being a contrite tit as usual.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:46 pm A question for all you armchair managers on here . Your technical knowledge is far greater than mine so I was just wondering something . If TJ hadn’t been playing in midfield, would he have still been in the same position to hit a contender for goal of the season competition
Nah but he would probably have hit a screamer from the right hand side of the box :D
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:18 pm
Coleman would not have been marked as a 4 or 5 if he had scored the same brilliant goal that TJ did !
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:54 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:46 pm A question for all you armchair managers on here . Your technical knowledge is far greater than mine so I was just wondering something . If TJ hadn’t been playing in midfield, would he have still been in the same position to hit a contender for goal of the season competition
Nah but he would probably have hit a screamer from the right hand side of the box :D
Agree but then again not impossible that he MIGHT just have strayed over into the centre. After all in modern football, its a game of fluidity and movement and players are not expected to stay rigidly in set zonal positions, other players cover your position if you move forward etc.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

It was a second ball (well, third technically) from our corner so yes, James would have been on the edge of the box regardless of his position.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Top of the JES wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:46 pm
Gary the Plumber wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:44 pm One of the weirdest disagreements I’ve seen in here.
Not really just you being a contrite tit as usual.
Why am I being ‘contrite’?

This argument between you two is genuinely weird.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

‘Tom James will do a job in holding midfield but it’s not his natural position. But midfield players know where the ball is dropping down and wear to etc etc’

FFS, how much clearer does it have to be?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:59 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:54 pm
Agree but then again not impossible that he MIGHT just have strayed over into the centre. After all in modern football, its a game of fluidity and movement and players are not expected to stay rigidly in set zonal positions, other players cover your position if you move forward etc.
I Like your thinking Sidney . Curse Richie for not letting Tom roam & not letting him score 2 screamers.