What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by Dunners »

Went to see the Back to the Future musical at the weekend. Fantastic stage production that has been well adapted from the film. But the musical numbers were quite forgetful. And the central premise of the plot is still about a mother who tries to pump her own son, whose only escape is to guide his dad into her instead.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Trigger point E01- appears to be some sort of comedy about bomb disposal. Does it get better? Or worse?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:52 pm Trigger point E01- appears to be some sort of comedy about bomb disposal. Does it get better? Or worse?
No idea! I too watched Ep 1 and it was laughably bad - I've decided not to persevere, but would be interested in reports from anyone brave enough to do so.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:41 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:52 pm Trigger point E01- appears to be some sort of comedy about bomb disposal. Does it get better? Or worse?
No idea! I too watched Ep 1 and it was laughably bad - I've decided not to persevere, but would be interested in reports from anyone brave enough to do so.
I watched it because Mrs Eva Gold made me. I was not brave enough to defy her. Its a one dimensional pile of hot steaming manure.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:45 pm
StillSpike wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:41 pm
I watched it because Mrs Eva Gold made me. I was not brave enough to defy her. Its a one dimensional pile of hot steaming manure.
So you're saying it improved after Ep1 ?
Shav3n Hav3n
Fresh Alias

Post by Shav3n Hav3n »

Midnight Mass on Netflix would recommend
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The Batman- i liked its slow pacing and it was long. I had read it was a bit like Seven and I don't disagree. Solid 8.5/10
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Whodunnit (unrehearsed) at the Park Theatre in Finsbury Park.

A company of six actors stage a whodunnit play, but where the inspector investigating the crime is a well-known celebrity who has no prior knowledge of what to expect. Their lines and directions are fed to them through an earpiece.

I went to see the penultimate show on Saturday afternoon, and our special guest was Adrian Dunbar (best known for playing Ted (sweet Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey) Hastings from Line of Duty). He, and the play, was absolutely brilliant. What started off as a regular whodunnit just descended into one of the most hilariously bonkers and absurdist shows I think I have ever seen. One minute you’re watching a murder mystery, and the next you’re being treated to an impromptu Broadway musical interjected by Mastermind sequences while being randomly asked to hold an inflatable parrot.

The Park Theatre holds just 200 people, so it’s intimate. And given the quality of the show, I could easily see it selling out much bigger venues. But the creator (who was part of a Q&A panel at the end) Mark Cameron confirmed that it was always his intention for it to be a fund raiser for a limited run at a small venue. Each of the celebrities that attend do so for free. And to his credit he has had a decent line up of well-known names. I heard that on one of the previous nights, Johnny Vegas stripped off naked and ran into the audience.

But the best bit was that he confirmed that the show would return for another series at some point in the future. This show is definitely recommended.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Severance on Apple TV is bloody fantastic
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:08 pm The Batman- i liked its slow pacing and it was long.
That's what she said.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

A bit late to the party on this, but only just finished watching the third series of Narcos : Mexico.

I thought it was just like all the previous two series, and has offered nothing new. There'll clearly be a fourth, as they can now tell the story of El Chapo. But I'm inclined to only watch it if I'm bored and there's nothing else on worth watching or any decent boardin' feuds worth wading in to. Overall it was a bit meh.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Havent watched Narcos since the original baddie was killed off.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Did anyone here see Only Murders In The Building? Best thing Steve Martin has done for decades.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Not even heard of it. Is it on Disney?
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Looking forward to new series of Top Boy, first 3 series were stunning
CEB

Post by CEB »

Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:37 pm Not even heard of it. Is it on Disney?

Yes. It’s very, very good and very easy watching
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:31 pm A bit late to the party on this, but only just finished watching the third series of Narcos : Mexico.

I thought it was just like all the previous two series, and has offered nothing new. There'll clearly be a fourth, as they can now tell the story of El Chapo. But I'm inclined to only watch it if I'm bored and there's nothing else on worth watching or any decent boardin' feuds worth wading in to. Overall it was a bit meh.
They've said it's the last, El Chapo has gotten several TV shows and films now, and he's not really 'history' in the way that the other main characters are - the cartel he created still causes unbelievable amounts of misery. There's still something a bit off about fictionalising and romanticising monsters (as they undoubtedly did with Carlos Fuentes).

I enjoyed it as someone who finds the history of the drug trade and cartels interesting. The complicity of Mexican and to a lesser extent American authorities in the drug trade is astonishing and you could keep making that show indefinitely, cause the narco wars have only gotten worse since the period they covered. But it is very, very formulaic by this point.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Watched the new Ipcress File the other night. I have no idea what to think other than the lead actor was no Michael Cane. Plus I fell asleep halfway through Ep4. Not motivated to go back and watch it.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Mistadobalina wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:03 pm
Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:31 pm A bit late to the party on this, but only just finished watching the third series of Narcos : Mexico.

They've said it's the last, El Chapo has gotten several TV shows and films now, and he's not really 'history' in the way that the other main characters are - the cartel he created still causes unbelievable amounts of misery. There's still something a bit off about fictionalising and romanticising monsters (as they undoubtedly did with Carlos Fuentes).

I enjoyed it as someone who finds the history of the drug trade and cartels interesting. The complicity of Mexican and to a lesser extent American authorities in the drug trade is astonishing and you could keep making that show indefinitely, cause the narco wars have only gotten worse since the period they covered. But it is very, very formulaic by this point.
Did you watch ZeroZeroZero ? If not, I'd recommend it.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

StillSpike wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:34 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:03 pm

Did you watch ZeroZeroZero ? If not, I'd recommend it.
Yes. Absolutely loved it. Was an odd show, looked incredibly expensive but was going for a very niche market of Narcos/Gommorah/I guess Succession fans? But thought it was terrific and shame it didn't get more love as there was definitely a second series in it.

Separate note but I let my impatience get the better of me and streamed first 7 episodes of Raised by Wolves whilst in covid recovery mode (it should be out on now TV in near future). Might be the most mental TV show I've ever seen.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Good mental or bad mental?
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

My Brilliant Friend has just began its 3rd season

Wonderful interpretation of the books
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:53 pm Good mental or bad mental?
If you like deep sci fi that demands you get invested in the world building and you don't mind not having a clue what's going on most of the time, it's the excellent type of mental. First series starts quite slow so needs some sticking with. I'm referring to the first seven episodes of series 2 above, where every episode has been bat sh*t.

Ridley Scott directed a few episodes and produces the show, so it's got solid sci fi credentials.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The Witchfinder- 17th century partridge from the writers of partridge.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

It was a bit of a let down given the gibbons brothers are responsible for the best partridge content there's been. Cast was also really good, funny subject matter, looked nice and despite all that, just wasn't very funny.