Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Long slender neck »

Whole of UK to be locked down by Christmas. Get f*cked Sage.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

France/macron announce another full lockdown that will last until the end of November at least. Forms to be filled out to even leave the home. Can imagine Johnson will follow in next few days, in my opinion, there is no alternative as they have lost it and the number is out of control.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Hope not. Our death levels are not yet excessive.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

kokomO wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:40 pm France/macron announce another full lockdown that will last until the end of November at least. Forms to be filled out to even leave the home. Can imagine Johnson will follow in next few days, in my opinion, there is no alternative as they have lost it and the number is out of control.
Yup if they wsnt Christmas to be decent for people they have to lockdown preety much now
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:52 am
kokomO wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:40 pm France/macron announce another full lockdown that will last until the end of November at least. Forms to be filled out to even leave the home. Can imagine Johnson will follow in next few days, in my opinion, there is no alternative as they have lost it and the number is out of control.
Yup if they wsnt Christmas to be decent for people they have to lockdown preety much now
I really don’t get this obsession with ‘saving christmas’ like it’s life and death. If it means that much just postpone it and celebrate in June next year when things might be a bit easier. Also the contrived belief that anyone is more lonely at Christmas than any other time through out the year. 🤷🏼‍♂️
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

kokomO wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:41 am
I really don’t get this obsession with ‘saving christmas’ like it’s life and death. If it means that much just postpone it and celebrate in June next year when things might be a bit easier. Also the contrived belief that anyone is more lonely at Christmas than any other time through out the year. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Its about spending time with Family .

You know extended family
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Victoria Derbyshire had it right. She has since been forced to apologise for this statement she made in an interview with the Radio Times:

If the rule of six is still in place at Christmas, we’re breaking it to have the rule of seven. We just are. Joining me, my husband and our two boys will be my mum, her partner and my husband’s dad. It’s fine. We’ll do it knowing what the risks are. We’re not stupid. We’re going to be sensible and buy a thermometer gun. But we have to be together at Christmas. It feels almost irresponsible saying that, but I don’t think we’re alone in feeling that way. We need to see my elderly mum and my husband’s elderly dad. We just do.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

There are thousands who will die before June and that is why people want to see family. And those thousands die from other causes, not Covid
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Totally agree, look at the damage preserving the university experience caused
I think it's more about convincing people to spend like they usually do at Christmas.
Don't want the word cancelled to start appearing in the media even if that term is inaccurate.
Can imagine there will be many a relieved person to have the pressure taken off not having to provide a big family Christmas.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

I think the majority have tried to abide by the restrictions, but there’s immense frustration amongst some that others haven’t and it’s heading the wrong way.

I recognise that there will inevitably be anomalies within the rules, laws take years to make after all, the key here has been speed in getting something in place. The rules could never address every scenario, so it’s a case of understanding what they are trying to achieve and applying a bit of common sense in trying to follow both them and their spirit. My missus is high risk due to her immune system being knackered by colitis meds, so I’m acutely aware what feels safe and what doesn’t regardless of what the rules of the day may say.

There’s a sizeable minority of people who either try to maximise what they can do within the rules, or get away with as much as possible outside them. It’s missing the bigger picture for perceived short term gain, and has to have had an impact overall, and so it drags on for longer. The government haven’t helped with some mixed messages, personally I thought the summer encouragement to get back to offices was plain wrong, and the eat out to help out scheme felt like a bribe to take a risk, and I wasn’t going anywhere near it. Agree what you say ooihuntingdon re the university experience preservation.

The economy is of course important too, but the longer it all extends the greater the impact. My instincts would be more in line with what Jacinda Ardern has done in New Zealand, and having just got re-elected it seems the population there are supportive.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Remember, heres where you can find more accurate death figures, in the total announced deaths spreadsheet. Its a bit more accurate than the headline figures.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/s ... ly-deaths/
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

faldO wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:48 am Victoria Derbyshire had it right. She has since been forced to apologise for this statement she made in an interview with the Radio Times:

If the rule of six is still in place at Christmas, we’re breaking it to have the rule of seven. We just are. Joining me, my husband and our two boys will be my mum, her partner and my husband’s dad. It’s fine. We’ll do it knowing what the risks are. We’re not stupid. We’re going to be sensible and buy a thermometer gun. But we have to be together at Christmas. It feels almost irresponsible saying that, but I don’t think we’re alone in feeling that way. We need to see my elderly mum and my husband’s elderly dad. We just do.
And that attitude of I'll do what I want and how I do it is exactly a major reason why we are in the mess we are in now and countries like south Korea, China, Singapore, New Zealand (and for the most part Australia) have their situation under control.

That and the rank awful , shockingly bad (& criminal !) leadership we have in this country of course.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

She has apologised for that statement & said
We will follow govt guidelines.

I bet there'll be some small prints for that fella from durham
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Story of O wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:53 am

There are thousands who will die before June and that is why people want to see family. And those thousands die from other causes, not Covid
And loads more will die unescessarily because of the actions of selfish people who do what they want , when they want...
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Merseyside Chief constable has said its our duty to snitch on people that are breaking covid rules
would anyone actually do that?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

kokomO wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:32 am
faldO wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:48 am Victoria Derbyshire had it right. She has since been forced to apologise for this statement she made in an interview with the Radio Times:

And that attitude of I'll do what I want and how I do it is exactly a major reason why we are in the mess we are in now and countries like south Korea, China, Singapore, New Zealand (and for the most part Australia) have their situation under control.

That and the rank awful , shockingly bad (& criminal !) leadership we have in this country of course.
Will you be cancelling your Christmas day then? You reckon Boris, Dom and all the other rich people wont be getting together with their families?
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:42 am Merseyside Chief constable has said its our duty to snitch on people that are breaking covid rules
would anyone actually do that?
Too right, in a heartbeat. It's up to us because we've been so badly let down by the people running the show.
If it stops people increasing the chance of my elderly mother catching this wretched virus then why wouldn't I??
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:53 am
kokomO wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:32 am

Will you be cancelling your Christmas day then? You reckon Boris, Dom and all the other rich people wont be getting together with their families?
Won't be cancelling anything PW just following the guidelines that we've been given. Who said anything had to be cancelled. It's quite simple if people use a bit of the old common... 🙄
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

And if you have a family larger than 6? Or you dont want to hold your Christmas day outdoors?
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:06 am And if you have a family larger than 6? Or you dont want to hold your Christmas day outdoors?
You asked me if I would be cancelling my Christmas, my extended in law family is bigger than 6 therefore we'll just have to spread out when we see everyone. If we couldn't acheive that , we'd have to contact each other on zoom or facetime. Or delay the celebration until a later time when the law of the land allows it. So worst case scenario would see it postponed/delayed but not cancelled.

Why would anyone want to have Christmas day outside....... in this country......... in December...
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Hospital admissions and deaths from Covid19 are increasing daily , something has to be done and quickly 🤔🤔🤔
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Bobby Ball dies aged 76 after covid diagnosis ... 😔 R.I.P.

Rock on Bobby..... 😥
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

BIGRON wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 am Hospital admissions and deaths from Covid19 are increasing daily , something has to be done and quickly 🤔🤔🤔
We could organise another General Election to f* ck this lot out quicker than they could do the right thing for all
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 am
BIGRON wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 am Hospital admissions and deaths from Covid19 are increasing daily , something has to be done and quickly 🤔🤔🤔
We could organise another General Election to f* ck this lot out quicker than they could do the right thing for all
Amen to that....
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

kokomO wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:17 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:06 am And if you have a family larger than 6? Or you dont want to hold your Christmas day outdoors?
You asked me if I would be cancelling my Christmas, my extended in law family is bigger than 6 therefore we'll just have to spread out when we see everyone. If we couldn't acheive that , we'd have to contact each other on zoom or facetime. Or delay the celebration until a later time when the law of the land allows it. So worst case scenario would see it postponed/delayed but not cancelled.

Why would anyone want to have Christmas day outside....... in this country......... in December...
But we're not allowed to meet other households indoors.

Cant delay Christmas :(((