Israel

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Israel

Post by Long slender neck »

Are there any countries that DONT consider Hamas a terrorist organisation?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I wonder if Iran has had a moments thought about getting directly involved. Its thought they fund Hamas, but I mean actually attacking Israel.
I know they'd like to, but the ramifications would be massive
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:26 am Are there any countries that DONT consider Hamas a terrorist organisation?
Sure, loads.

Iran, North Korea, Russia, Lebanon, Qatar, Afghanistan, Algeria, Libya, Syria, Turkey, China, to name but a few.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:31 am I wonder if Iran has had a moments thought about getting directly involved. Its thought they fund Hamas, but I mean actually attacking Israel.
They would get annihilated, it'd bring the full weight of the US army down on them. The Iranian regime is cynical and vile, but not completely stupid.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:37 am
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is expected to visit Moscow, Russian news media quoted the Palestinian envoy to Moscow as saying late on Monday.
Says a lot.
To be fair, it's not like there's any western states that are offering any assistance is it?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Dunners wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:32 am
Long slender neck wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:26 am Are there any countries that DONT consider Hamas a terrorist organisation?
Sure, loads.

Iran, North Korea, Russia, Lebanon, Qatar, Afghanistan, Algeria, Libya, Syria, Turkey, China, to name but a few.
Why have you listed the World Axis of Evil?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:34 am
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:31 am I wonder if Iran has had a moments thought about getting directly involved. Its thought they fund Hamas, but I mean actually attacking Israel.
They would get annihilated, it'd bring the full weight of the US army down on them. The Iranian regime is cynical and vile, but not completely stupid.
What you say is probably true, but if the USA attacked Iran, would China or Russia come to Irans aid, or would they just allow the US to destroy Iran?
If they did come to Irans aid, that would mean WW3 for sure
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Why would China or Russia intervene on Iran's behalf? I can't think of a single incentive for them to do so.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Today, I'm thinking of all those in Israel and Palestine suffering unimaginable pain, trauma and fear.

The horrific attacks on civilians in Israel were deplorable. This cannot justify the indiscriminate killing of Palestinians, who are paying the price for a crime they did not commit.

Half of Gaza’s population are children. Trapped in an open-air prison without food, water, gas or electricity, they are watching their homes turn to rubble with nowhere to go.

We should condemn the use of violence against all civilians, Israeli and Palestinian. And we must renew our calls for an immediate ceasefire to prevent any further loss of life.

In times of war, we need more voices for peace — and the only way to achieve peace is to end the occupation.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:07 pm Why would China or Russia intervene on Iran's behalf? I can't think of a single incentive for them to do so.
Aside from anything else, you feel Russia might have their own problems to deal with right now.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:56 pm Today, I'm thinking of all those in Israel and Palestine suffering unimaginable pain, trauma and fear.

The horrific attacks on civilians in Israel were deplorable. This cannot justify the indiscriminate killing of Palestinians, who are paying the price for a crime they did not commit.

Half of Gaza’s population are children. Trapped in an open-air prison without food, water, gas or electricity, they are watching their homes turn to rubble with nowhere to go.

We should condemn the use of violence against all civilians, Israeli and Palestinian. And we must renew our calls for an immediate ceasefire to prevent any further loss of life.

In times of war, we need more voices for peace — and the only way to achieve peace is to end the occupation.
"the only way"?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:05 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:56 pm Today, I'm thinking of all those in Israel and Palestine suffering unimaginable pain, trauma and fear.

"the only way"?
There is no alternative for a resolution and lasting peace. Hence the phrase the "only way".
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

So how do you end the occupation?
Enlighten us please.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:10 pm

"the only way"?
There is no alternative for a resolution and lasting peace. Hence the phrase the "only way".
Liar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:13 pm So how do you end the occupation?
Enlighten us please.
If you understood what Israel has been doing since 1967, you wouldn't need to ask that question.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Admin wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:28 pm
Chicken Dhansak wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:13 pm So how do you end the occupation?
Enlighten us please.
If you understood what Israel has been doing since 1967, you wouldn't need to ask that question.
I'm not Jewish but you can't just start at 1967. No other race has been persecuted by so many regimes over so long a period and it was made worse by their displacement during WW2. The creation of the modern state of Israel and the "local" opposition to it over the past c.70 years has made them both super protective and super paranoid.

Its a real sh*t sandwich that if people so much smarter than us have been unable to solve for generations then its unlikely we will on a thread. From a purely humaniterian perspective I hate to see people at one another's throats like this. It only creates further hostility in future generations and no good can become of it. I hope someone puts an end to it and quickly.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

"the only way"?
It's one of those platitudes that gets rolled out now and again, despite the historical evidence to the contrary, and usually by somebody who has little of value to add to the discussion but feels they need to say something anyway. Sometimes peace is achieved through one side inflicting a comprehensive defeat upon the other. I'm sure if we all think hard enough we can think of a few notable examples.

However, I know that Maxy knows this as he does know his history. And, as he's often fond of saying; the only way to beat the fascists is to SMASH them. So I can only conclude that he's having a bit of fun with us, and simply quoting someone else whose world view is little more evolved than that of an eternal sixth-form student protestor.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I've just watched an explainer video on Youtube. Key takeaways for me:

Extremists on both sides will use violence to stop peace.
After WW1 the area was ours to carve up and perhaps we've ballsed it slightly.
What this comes down to is Palestinians being upset with Jewish immigration.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:59 pm After WW1 the area was ours to carve up and perhaps we've ballsed it slightly.
:) Yeah, that was a bit of a whoopsy
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:47 pm

"the only way"?
It's one of those platitudes that gets rolled out now and again, despite the historical evidence to the contrary, and usually by somebody who has little of value to add to the discussion but feels they need to say something anyway. Sometimes peace is achieved through one side inflicting a comprehensive defeat upon the other. I'm sure if we all think hard enough we can think of a few notable examples.

However, I know that Maxy knows this as he does know his history. And, as he's often fond of saying; the only way to beat the fascists is to SMASH them. So I can only conclude that he's having a bit of fun with us, and simply quoting someone else whose world view is little more evolved than that of an eternal sixth-form student protestor.
I thought Jeremy's words made a lot of sense.

A comprehensive defeat is unlikely when there are enough nations around who either want to avoid it or won't let it happen quietly.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:25 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:10 pm
"the only way"?
Liar
Reported please perma ban yourself. It isn't your first offence.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

The nearest we got to peace was in 1948 when the UN marked out the split in Palestine. The UN gave the Jews 56% of the land, even though they only had 32% of the population, and the Arabs got 44% of the land even though they had 68% of the population.
The Arabs understandably rejected that, and the rest is history.

If the UN had been fairer, and given the Arabs over 50% of the land, I think they would have accepted it, and all whats come since, wouldnt have happened
We'll never know for sure, but it would have been fairer, and therefore more acceptable
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

'Free Palestine' is code for 'Lets kill all the Jews in Israel and occupy their land'. Pure anti-Semitism.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

DuvB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:19 pm 'Free Palestine' is code for 'Lets kill all the Jews in Israel and occupy their land'. Pure anti-Semitism.
It isnt their land though....its Palestinian land, and Israels occupying it
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Enlighten us please.
Getting rid of Benni would be a start.
Last edited by Tuffers#2 on Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.