Woke watch.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Woke watch.

Post by tuffers#1 »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:39 pm These days they throw you in jail just for doing an air raid siren noise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... medium=RSS
who went to Jail .
Dextercoindexter
Fresh Alias

Post by Dextercoindexter »

I have just been asked if I’m pregnant as I went for X Ray, over 6 foot with beard. Got a bit of a beer gut but come on? I actually was offended because a friend of mine asked a big girl at work the same and got disciplined.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:37 am How long until they say The Simpsons or Minions are racist for being yellow then?
When the Chinese start complaining.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

How can we make this about white supremacy

Also: Please become a Guardian supporter and donate to our quality journalism

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:06 pm How can we make this about white supremacy

Just thank the Baby Jesus and the wee donkey that Will Smith isn't white. It would have been wokemageddon.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

You think a white Will Smith would have been at the Oscars?
CEB

Post by CEB »

Dunners wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:28 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:06 pm How can we make this about white supremacy

Just thank the Baby Jesus and the wee donkey that Will Smith isn't white. It would have been wokemageddon.

One of those instances where it’s interesting to think of the opposite angle: if the “white outrage” at the incident was more like “white eye rolling at what the black fellas get up to”, that would be a far more egregious example of white people’s assumptions about black people, no?

The guardian has totally lost the plot in recent years
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Guardian have an algorithm that knocks this stuff out. Pop cultural event/phenomena + we're all racist/sexist/homophobic and maybe even complicit for how we respond to said event = loads of clicks.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... exism-rape is a classic in the genre.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Game of thrones articles always were a goldmine of self righteousness. I especially love when there were all the hand wringing articles about how the pretty white blonde lady is portrayed as the saviour, when paying even the smallest amount of attention showed that that was the point, and that she was eventually going to be the biggest villain of them all when she arrived in Westeros. Amazing how many people didn’t see that coming
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Not wanting to be outdone by Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervais has landed.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Watched it last night. Somewhat funny although as usual it’s easy targets. You are still allowed to rip apart trans people and fat people (at the moment) so he does. Relentlessly. You are not allowed to be a racist Bernard Manning anymore so he isn’t racist. He claims to be edgy and willing to get cancelled but says nothing that would get him cancelled. Everything he says is within “the rules”. Either nothing is off the table or perhaps picking on a very small amount of people makes you a bit of dicck.
CEB

Post by CEB »

I think you misunderstand.
The whole “you can’t say that!!” stuff in comedy is widely misunderstood in terms of what the actual dynamics are.

The truth is that it’s comedians who with to be seen as progressive/left wing, and part of a Very Online community who self police each other, and will jump on self described progressives by policing views deemed “problematic”. Within those circles, it is absolutely the case that there’s now a culture where any perceived unkindness in comedy will lead to people being denounced, deplatformed, subject to abuse or censure.

Gervais absolutely is immune to that kind of thing, largely because he’s never been part of the stand up comedian community, but also in that his audience has always been pretty broad. The stuff he says won’t get *him* cancelled, but would absolutely mean blacklisting for any up and coming comedian who saw themselves as vaguely left leaning and who wanted to be put on by people on the circuit.

The other aspect is that Gervais’s jokes, from the clips I’ve seen, are hackneyed as hell, but, weirdly, they are pertinent because a bizarre, Bernard Manning type idea has become a tenet of a left wing progressive belief. The idea that a man with a penis could be a lesbian is *literally* a Bernard Manning joke, and it does need calling out directly.
Weirdly, despite Gervais being blunt about it though, he actually doesn’t fully get the issue himself and equivocates a bit where he could be laying out a preogressive case to maintain his position, though it seems he hasn’t really fully examined it.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Even the board’s very own James McMahon has recognised the batshit crazy of the trans activists. This clip is one for the ages

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Would love to see that but I doubt it'll be allowed on any major platforms.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

CEB wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:44 am Even the board’s very own James McMahon has recognised the batshit crazy of the trans activists. This clip is one for the ages

* Sips from leftist tears tumbler *
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:28 pm
CEB wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:44 am Even the board’s very own James McMahon has recognised the batshit crazy of the trans activists. This clip is one for the ages

* Sips from leftist tears tumbler *
As someone who has kept a few chooks over the years I can honestly say I have never seen a chicken cry. Watery eyes yes, just after their necks have been wrung but I don't think that counts.

Has anyone called Sergeant Cox of the Genital police yet?
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

The crying thing is irrelevant, but what makes you a man is an interesting question though. There are men who don't create sperm, there are hens that don't lay eggs. If you suffer some genetic affliction does it make you less of a man (or not a man at all)?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

No
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Getting harder to differentiate between the Titania Mcgraths and the likes of they/them and Mick McQuaid.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Saying that “wanting to lower rates of young people who transition = wanting trans people to not exist” = saying “treatment of eating disorders as if they are medical conditions means you want to exterminate fat people”
CEB

Post by CEB »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:33 am Getting harder to differentiate between the Titania Mcgraths and the likes of they/them and Mick McQuaid.
I think Mick McQuaid left his biology BTEC the day after they taught him that chickens don’t have tear ducts
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Clown world

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:49 am Clown world

Ease can we try not to use humourist terms such as clowns? The reference to anything comedic/entertainment related is deeply hurtful to ever miserablist wokey loons.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

I just farted. I've apologised in writing to everyone in the house but should I do the same for neighbours?

If so, my direct neighbours only, or 2 or 3 doors down each way?

Please help!