Oscars

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Oscars

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Dextercoindexter
Fresh Alias

Post by Dextercoindexter »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:34 pm
Humiliated his own wife and himself more like? Who is Gilson?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:57 pm And, because of his actions, I've now learned all about his wife sleeping with their son's friend.

Not that this bothered Will Smith, of course, or caused any simmering rage that he was just about able to keep a lid on for so long.

What a willy.
I expected better than that from you. They’ve all denied it happened, it’s just scurrilous gossip.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Am I the only one thinking that it’s a pretty tame joke even if he was aware she had alopecia? I mean, it’s not his best work or anything, but it’s not this terrible thing.

The Smiths are batshit crazy anyway, and Will is clearly a ball of simmering rage about the fact that his missus bangs around
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Well bald headed jokes were still allowed…. up to last night. Jokes about fatties are going to struggle to survive another 12 months I reckon. Now the fat shaming lobby are getting (their fat arses) into gear. Obviously anything sexual, racial, disability based not allowed. Them’s the rules. So, that leaves us with.. gingers. A whole bunch of jokes about ginger hair next year until a red head in the audience whacks a stiletto over the presenters head then I reckon we are just about done. Humour will have eaten itself.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Apparently, the police wanted to take it further, but Rock wouldn't press charges.
He should have
Dextercoindexter
Fresh Alias

Come to think of it, young kids at them Oscars, Smith an utter disgrace. Has no shame.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

He's a Scientologist and his kids look nuts too.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:42 pm
Dunners wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:57 pm And, because of his actions, I've now learned all about his wife sleeping with their son's friend.

Not that this bothered Will Smith, of course, or caused any simmering rage that he was just about able to keep a lid on for so long.

What a willy.
I expected better than that from you. They’ve all denied it happened, it’s just scurrilous gossip.
Well, in Alluding to Mandy Rice Davis, 'they would do wouldn't they'.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

You just knew that they wouldn't be able to resist making it all about race. You can almost set your watch by how tediously predictable they are.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/ ... lain-sight
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Dunners wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:36 pm You just knew that they wouldn't be able to resist making it all about race. You can almost set your watch by how tediously predictable they are.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/ ... lain-sight
link-fail
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

Interesting thread and most people seem to come out in condemnation of Smith.
Yes, going up to thump Rock was not the best possible response .... BUT ....
Speaking as a female who has been affected by alopecia areata since the age of 13 and having undergone numerous treatments (including painful injections into the scalp) none of which worked, I can relate to Smith's objection to his wife's medical condition being turned into a joke at such major public event.
If Rock did not know: he should have done as it was public knowledge! Also curious as to why he picked her as his target 'for a laugh'?
Male baldness is more 'normal' and expected, female baldness is not and is experienced as a disability and embarrassing . Public compassion for female baldness seemingly is only given if the woman is bald as a result of being treated for cancer.
Is it ever right to try and get a laugh out of somebody's disability?
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

CEB wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:01 pm Am I the only one thinking that it’s a pretty tame joke even if he was aware she had alopecia? I mean, it’s not his best work or anything, but it’s not this terrible thing.

The Smiths are batshit crazy anyway, and Will is clearly a ball of simmering rage about the fact that his missus bangs around
What's the difference between this and taking the piss out of someone with any other medical disorder? I've got a couple of friends with alopecia, and it's a very difficult thing for them to deal with. Society is not kind to people who look a bit different.

Whilst it's disappointing that smith didn't take the opportunity to stand up against this kind of bullying in a civilised manner to help others suffering from it, Chris Rock knew all about it and is more in the wrong IMHO.
Dextercoindexter
Fresh Alias

Adz wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:50 am
CEB wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:01 pm Am I the only one thinking that it’s a pretty tame joke even if he was aware she had alopecia? I mean, it’s not his best work or anything, but it’s not this terrible thing.

What's the difference between this and taking the piss out of someone with any other medical disorder? I've got a couple of friends with alopecia, and it's a very difficult thing for them to deal with. Society is not kind to people who look a bit different.

Whilst it's disappointing that smith didn't take the opportunity to stand up against this kind of bullying in a civilised manner to help others suffering from it, Chris Rock knew all about it and is more in the wrong IMHO.
Ricky Gervais made a series about Derek which I could not stand
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

I have a stammer/stutter and at school there were times when I was the butt of many a joke. Even now I get embarrassed for myself if I can't get a word out. So Knowing that, it may seem strange that one of my favourite TV programmes is Open all Hours. Other portrayals of stammering can make me cringe but for me Ronnie Barker got it spot on.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Adz wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:50 am

No difference at all, but I dispute the idea that there’s anything wrong with taking the piss. Especially when A: the “bullying piss take” was to say that she looked great and to make a (admittedly hackneyed) reference to another female movie star who looked great bald, and B: when it’s part of an awards ceremony “bit” where wealthy, powerful people have their egos poked a bit.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

E10EU wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:33 am Interesting thread and most people seem to come out in condemnation of Smith.
Yes, going up to thump Rock was not the best possible response .... BUT ....
Speaking as a female who has been affected by alopecia areata since the age of 13 and having undergone numerous treatments (including painful injections into the scalp) none of which worked, I can relate to Smith's objection to his wife's medical condition being turned into a joke at such major public event.
If Rock did not know: he should have done as it was public knowledge! Also curious as to why he picked her as his target 'for a laugh'?
Male baldness is more 'normal' and expected, female baldness is not and is experienced as a disability and embarrassing . Public compassion for female baldness seemingly is only given if the woman is bald as a result of being treated for cancer.
Is it ever right to try and get a laugh out of somebody's disability?
Sorry, in my book, no excuses whatsoever for such aggressive behaviour.
CEB

Post by CEB »

He literally compared her to another beautiful movie star, joking that she would be in a sequel to a film where a female star had a shaved head. During a “bit” at the Oscar’s where celebs can expect to be digged out a bit. It’s not at all “bullying”, and is more akin to not pretending not to notice a “difference” and confronting it head on.

It’s completely within the norms of the type of gag that happens in US ceremonies. It’s not hilarious, but it’s crazy to me that after the assault, people are focusing attention on the “provocation” at all, when it’s the least relevant part (especially since the most likely contributing factors to the assault aren’t the joke itself, but a mixture of Smith’s anger management, his lingering resentment over his wife’s sleeping around, and his Scientology)
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

I think the fact that he was smiling all over his face as Smith approached, and was totally unprepared for the assault, also goes to show that the so-called provocation was actually intended as good natured "banter" rather than bullying or taking the piss out of a medical condition.

There's only one person in the wrong in this - and as matters are playing out since the event, they both seem to be reaping the "rewards" from their respective actions.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

JimbO wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:24 pm
Dohnut wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:30 am Did Rock know it was a medical condition? Maybe not, just saw it as a lifestyle choice or maybe she was preparing for some acting part. Either way, poor taste but that’s award ceremonies for you. Listen to Ricky Gervais. Don’t make it right, but that’s the way it is. Need to be grown up.

I wonder if Smith would have been so brave if it was the Rock, Dwayne Johnson, making the remarks and not Chris Rock. My guess is no. He would have just smiled.

Living his acting parts in real life. When it suits. Now the whole world knows about a private medical condition. Smart.
Fraid not apparently his wife has spoken publicly about several times over the years.

https://people.com/health/oscars-2022-b ... rock-joke/
Her talking about it don’t mean he knew of course. No reason for him to be aware. Of course the whole world now knows.

And he has said he didn’t know.

The real sadness for me was Smiths kid posting “That’s the way we do it”. Says a lot about the quality of his upbringing. Violence is OK. Of course it’s not. It spoiled the night for others, tainted his family reputation, many have lost respect for him and damaged his career. His apologies don’t excuse his physical and verbal violence.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Hmm

Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:33 am Hmm

Wouldn’t it be great if sometimes he took his own advice and shut the feck up. Because some of us don’t care what his opinions are.
CEB

Post by CEB »

You see that blue circle with the triangle in it? If you don’t press that, you don’t have to hear it
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

CEB wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:09 pm You see that blue circle with the triangle in it? If you don’t press that, you don’t have to hear it
I always do the courtesy of both reading and listening to what others post. I see it as good manners to consider other peoples views.

Nor do I prejudge. Ignoring it without listening is just irresponsible. But having listened, I comment.

Not complex is it.
CEB

Post by CEB »

“Good manners to consider other people’s views” and “I always do the courtesy of reading and listening to what other people post” seems to me to be incompatible with “some of us don’t care what his opinions are”: heads up - if you already don’t care what someone’s opinion is, just say “I’m not watching the clip”, because watching it then saying “I don’t care about it” seems like a waste of everyone’s time.

Not complex, is it?