Richie Wellens appointed new head coach

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Re: Richie Wellens appointed new head coach

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Paddy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:45 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm Listened to his press conference earlier.

I thought Wellens came across very well, had a clear vision and actually seemed happy to be here. Unlike Jackett. I’m excited to see what he can do with these players.

I thought Ling came across poorly. A lot of ‘we haven’t got it right’ when he’s the man the board rely on for footbLling decisions. No accountability. More bollocks about their process ‘it’s a longer process because there’s more chance of getting it right’ just like Davis, Embleton x2 and Fletcher :rolleyes:

“I’d like to be sitting here in 2 and half years time” I bet you f*cking would.
Why do you just post the part of the quote that fits your narrative? Why don't you finish the quote? He said "I'd like to be sitting here in 2 and a half years time to say we've just renewed Richies contract." Meaning he's been a success as a manager and we've done great on the pitch. Is that a bad thing?

Very fair thing to say but some people see ghosts everywhere I guess.
I get what he was saying, my point was that he shouldn’t be trusted with the first team any more. I hope Welles is here for a long time and gets us promoted too
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I wonder if he'll keep Pratley as captain, IMO he's no leader on the pitch and has been sooooo inconsistent in his performances most of the season. But there is no ready replacement either.
Paddy
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy »

EliotNes wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:22 pm I wonder if he'll keep Pratley as captain, IMO he's no leader on the pitch and has been sooooo inconsistent in his performances most of the season. But there is no ready replacement either.
I'd guess he'll stick with him for the rest of the season, no need to rock that boat.

Next season I'd like to see Beckles as our captain i think he's the logical choice unless we get a solid option in during the window 👍
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Just watched the press conference. I'm no psychologist but ML's body language (e.g. leaning away from Wellens) and answers don't fill me with confidence about his attitude to Wellens' appointment.

Some nice probing questions from a couple of the journos.

And I love :lol: the strategically positioned bottles of water, with the brand name turned away from us. :!:
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

“ On 2 December 2021, Wellens was sacked by Doncaster after just 199 days in charge with the club sitting 23rd in the table with the club having picked up just thirteen points from nineteen matches.”

Sounds like just what we need.
Type high
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Type high »

At long last, we got a proper northern git as a Manager, with a sense of humour to boot, nailed it at the start, he said to succeed we must have good players, Northerner to bully us southern Softee's, love it Wellcom Richie
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:55 pm Have a look Ling's boat during that interview, he looks like he couldn't care less who comes
and goes, he knows he is here for life.
I didn't see this posted before I posted above, but I agree with the sentiments expressed
Paddy
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy »

Stowaway wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:41 pm “ On 2 December 2021, Wellens was sacked by Doncaster after just 199 days in charge with the club sitting 23rd in the table with the club having picked up just thirteen points from nineteen matches.”

"In the 2019–20 season, Wellens won the League Two title with Swindon Town on PPG during the global COVID-19 pandemic after the season was called off in March.

Wellens favours his teams to play attacking football, believing long ball and defensive minded football to not be suitable to long-term success.

He cites former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson as a major influence on his approach.

Using a preferred formation of 4-2-3-1 Wellens likes his teams to play out from the back and be patient.

Wellens likes his player to maintain a high level of intensity, even during training sessions."

I agree. Sounds like a cracking appointment. There's not a single manager in world history who's never been sacked it means nothing. Welcome Richie now get us some success!
Fisch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fisch »

Judging by the "he was a bully" remarks coming out of Donny Rovers, it would appear a high level of northern grit is part of his style. I predict there will be a few who won't like that and will find themselves on Boco island in short shrift. This smacks of a Teague choice, l can imagine banging his fist on the desk regarding this appointment. Hopefully, the days of southern softies will not be seen again.
He's reported to prefer playing out from the back and says success requires "good footballers". Ross will be rolling his eyes.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Just listened through the press conference, I like what I hear. No-nonsense with a bit of personality and sense of belief in his approach.

As per a few posts above I hope he does ruffle a few feathers along the way, looks like he's already started with the way Ling looked all the way through. Shades of the Jackett press conference there, let's just hope the board are aware and ensure Wellens gets the control he needs on the player recruitment front.

Onto Saturday, let's hope he brings that new manager bounce.
Milano wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:40 pm He's reported to prefer playing out from the back and says success requires "good footballers". Ross will be rolling his eyes.
There's a massive difference between the way his Swindon side sliced through us like a hot knife through butter from back to front vs. Embleton's crab football though.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

I hope he does well. That`s all.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

In the circumstances this looks to be a decent appointment imho. As we all know though, there are no sure things in football so I can only hope that Wellens gets a bit of good fortune that seemed to elude his predecessor and is able to get things back on track soon.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Hope he keeps us up, but I have my doubts!
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Very good appointment on paper and someone I've wanted for a few years.

That said, he'll have his work cut out with the current 'leadership'. Still, at least it seems he's used to being thrown under the bus by chairman by his Salford experience.

Good luck Richie, you're gonna need it.
Dextercoindexter
Fresh Alias

Post by Dextercoindexter »

Paddy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:04 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:56 pm
Paddy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:17 pm

Funny how people see things differently. I saw a man who knows his fan base is not happy and who gave the situation and occasion the respect it deserves.

He also spoke very well and even put his hands up and said explicitly that they have not got the managerial choices right since Justin's passing.

That is all I can ask for from the people in charge of running our club. Wanting what's best for us and putting their hands up when they get it wrong and hope to do better.

I'm glad we got Richie through the door and I am thankful to our board for getting it done.

Clean slate. Onwards and upwards. Up The O's!
Quite right, it is funny how people see things differently! I thought Ling looked vacant and uninterested instead of having that usual warm welcoming look anyone should have when sitting next to a new manager. And you reckon also, that he speaks well? He sounds like he should be running a fruit and veg stall down Walthamstow market.
No he doesn't speak well. But what I'm trying to say is he is there. He is the DOF and we can either back him until he leaves or create a toxic environment where no club can thrive. I'll always go for the first option.
He always seems full of angst, disinterested, aloof and negative, bad for the club, he should be shown the door.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

Thought he came across well at the Press Conference.

I'd agree with many comments above that he will likely have a no nonsense approach, which I think is needed, and he knows the style of football he wants us to play, while recognising that the overriding priority right now is to keep us up.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Type high wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:41 pm At long last, we got a proper northern git as a Manager, with a sense of humour to boot, nailed it at the start, he said to succeed we must have good players, Northerner to bully us southern Softee's, love it Wellcom Richie
Some of were born further north than wellens , so keep the southern softee quotes for yourself :D !
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Welcome Squishy Melons
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

cockhat wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:27 pm Hope he keeps us up, but I have my doubts!
I have my doubts as well . Personally I don't think our players are good enough but the best of luck to Richie . Please God he can keep us up and we can push onwards next season .
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

Pleased with the appointment but I'm biased because I know him well, I play in a skiffle band with him. He's great on the washboard and kazoo. Not sure if he can get the defence to play on set pieces or on a cover of Ain't No More Cane On The Brazos
baldy123
Fresh Alias

Post by baldy123 »

I hope that he can go from "Lonnie Donegan to.....Leyton Orient won again"
Petrov788
Fresh Alias

Post by Petrov788 »

Stowaway wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:41 pm “ On 2 December 2021, Wellens was sacked by Doncaster after just 199 days in charge with the club sitting 23rd in the table with the club having picked up just thirteen points from nineteen matches.”

Every single available manager, and indeed every manager linked with us, was out of a job having been sacked at least twice in their career. A few of them have had success too, that includes Wellens. We weren't going to get Klopp or Pep were we?
NavarinO
Fresh Alias

Post by NavarinO »

I reckon this is a great appointment, Mr Wellens is going to do a good job, starting off with a win at Hartlepool
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

NavarinO wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:46 am I reckon this is a great appointment, Mr Wellens is going to do a good job, starting off with a win at Hartlepool
We hope so but he's got his work cut out with these players we've got.
Fisch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fisch »

gshaw wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:51 pm
Milano wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:40 pm He's reported to prefer playing out from the back and says success requires "good footballers". Ross will be rolling his eyes.
There's a massive difference between the way his Swindon side sliced through us like a hot knife through butter from back to front vs. Embleton's crab football though.
Certainly Ross couldn't make it work but I put that down to two things: [1] He didn't have enough skilled players to do it, particularly in the middle where only Jobi could cut it in such a system, and [2] Ross lacked the gravitas to get the buy-in from the senior players so they never really did believe in what was being attempted. I would love to see a team like the one Richie brought here from Swindon, they went straight through us. It requires super-fit, pacy and quick witted midfielders but we don't have them, Kemp was the closest but he was sacrificed for Jacketball.