FOI - Death by Covid.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: FOI - Death by Covid.

Post by Sid Bishop »

In recent months, NHS statistics figures have quoted time and again that around 90% of people in the ICU beds suffering from Covid are people who have not received the Covid vaccine. Of course some may not have been able to have the vaccine on health grounds, some may not have been eligible due to other reasons, like their their age groups, but many of the unvaccinated Covid patients turned down the offer of this free Covid vaccination. Thing is, this large amount of people in hospital ICU suffering from Covid is helping to delay/prevent other patients from getting hospital treatment for all sorts of health problems including life threatening illnesses.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Sorry sid that 90% is disingenuous and factually incorrect and has been proven false previously. Don't let the government lies and scare stories scare you.

https://fullfact.org/health/dr-hilary-l ... 0-percent/
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

At the time the "90%" figure first came out and was being quoted in interviews (late last year) it was 90% of patients in ICU hadn't been boosted (not hadn't been vaccinated at all) and 61% of patients in ICU were not vaccinated, though politicians and others often got it wrong.

If you click through the "full fact" link above to their latest statement about this - https://fullfact.org/health/boris-johns ... rcent-icu/ - it reports those numbers and they were borne out by data at the time. They may well be out of date by now.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Thor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm Sorry sid that 90% is disingenuous and factually incorrect and has been proven false previously. Don't let the government lies and scare stories scare you.

https://fullfact.org/health/dr-hilary-l ... 0-percent/
Like I said Thor. Looking at numbers it is correct to say things like around 50% (or whatever) of people in hospital are vaccinated. The data can be used to verify that. Fact checker is right. I have no argument with that. But when you look at data from a different view you can also prove the 90%. (Or whatever). It’s not actually that difficult, to a degree that would satisfy fact checkers.

The fact check site you quoted even admitted this in an obscure way. I took the trouble too look it up.

If I could be bothered I would show how numbers can be used to present conclusions in different ways, even conclusions that seem to be contradictory, yet satisfy fact checkers.

The saying “ there is lies, damn lies and statistics” is not suggesting statistics are lies, just an acceptance of how the same data can be used to support many and opposing opinions. Politicians have made it an art form.

And that Thor IS a fact.