How?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: How?

Post by OyinbO »

Senda is very highly rated

This is what happens if you get your succession plan wrong - by over-promoting Embleton (not once, but twice!) lots of superior talent (Webb, McAnuff) has left the Club that otherwise might still be here. And Embleton himself has gone. It's all extremely sub-optimal.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

I have no issue with Saah and Lawless who are working with the Youth and academy set up.Experienced pro's working with the kids is a good thing.

However Harrold and Brill in particular are inexperienced coaches and wouldn't be anywhere near another clubs first team, their attitude on the touchline during games in very casual and if the are not adding to the converstion which seems to be the case why are they there at all.

Danny Senda can get animated on the touchline and came here with a good reputation but I think will probably be feeling vulnerable if a new manager comes in.

I think all three are out of contract in June ?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am I have no issue with Saah and Lawless who are working with the Youth and academy set up.Experienced pro's working with the kids is a good thing.

However Harrold and Brill in particular are inexperienced coaches and wouldn't be anywhere near another clubs first team, their attitude on the touchline during games in very casual and if the are not adding to the converstion which seems to be the case why are they there at all.

Danny Senda can get animated on the touchline and came here with a good reputation but I think will probably be feeling vulnerable if a new manager comes in.

Brill might be down to us ridiculously renewing his playing contract 18 months ago and having to keep him on to get some value out of him instead of paying him off.

Doesn't Harrold's role also involve scouting and analytics? Not saying that necessarily makes him value, but he does more than just coach and perhaps his scope changes as his post football career at Orient progresses.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:05 pm Of all the things we’ve mis-managed in recent years, I’d like to know how the f*** are Dean Brill, Matt Harold and Alex Lawless still on the payroll but we’ve said goodbye to Jobi McAnuff? Even Martins old mate Brian Saab has been found a role.

This should not be happening.
The season has only just finished and our new manager hasn't been appointed yet . Our new manager might want his own backroom staff so for all we know they might be leaving shortly.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am I have no issue with Saah and Lawless who are working with the Youth and academy set up.Experienced pro's working with the kids is a good thing.

Most goalkeeper coaches are inexperienced in that they retire and immediately move in to coaching.

A top rated, senior, experienced goalkeeper coach is unlikely to be found in League 2 especially given the continuing updates to modern goalkeeping coaching methods.

I also wouldn’t imagine a goalkeeping coach to be very vocal during a games as their focus is on just the one player. An case of seen and not heard.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 am

Most goalkeeper coaches are inexperienced in that they retire and immediately move in to coaching.

A top rated, senior, experienced goalkeeper coach is unlikely to be found in League 2 especially given the continuing updates to modern goalkeeping coaching methods.

I also wouldn’t imagine a goalkeeping coach to be very vocal during a games as their focus is on just the one player. An case of seen and not heard.
Just a reminder that Brill joined the club as goalkeeping coach not a goalkeeper. He only became the keeper when Edinburgh decided needs must. Becoming goalkeeping coach was a return to his original role.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:13 pm

Just a reminder that Brill joined the club as goalkeeping coach not a goalkeeper. He only became the keeper when Edinburgh decided needs must. Becoming goalkeeping coach was a return to his original role.
I know but he was still young and inexperienced as a coach hence being able to return to playing. I believe he is now only 35.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:13 pm

Good point, had forgotten about that.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

How many other GK coaches sit in the dug out on a matchday and regularly give advice to outfield players as well?

How many other scouts, ginger or otherwise, sit in the dug out on a matchday and regularly have a laugh with the players like they're still one of the lads?

All very unusual, IMO.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:08 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:48 am
Bottomley’s Ghost wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:54 am Broadly agree, but worth remembering that Brill joined as a goalkeeping coach, not a player.
Yes but was then assistant coach or something, before we sacked the new goalkeeping coach and gave brill that job back. Possibly.
Eh?
That's the time line, isn't it? Please prove it isn't.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 pm How many other GK coaches sit in the dug out on a matchday and regularly give advice to outfield players as well?

How many other scouts, ginger or otherwise, sit in the dug out on a matchday and regularly have a laugh with the players like they're still one of the lads?

All very unusual, IMO.
Something not right with the culture of the club. The player clear out and new experienced manager bringing in his assistant(s) should sort it.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 pm How many other GK coaches sit in the dug out on a matchday and regularly give advice to outfield players as well?
Do you know what? When I go to matches I tend to watch the game rather than focus on what a goalkeeper coach is doing.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

All very unusual, IMO.
No idea to be honest. Imagine it's not uncommon for them to sit on the benches at other clubs and remember that Harrold is combining coaching with scouting/analytics (not suggesting this is better than having experts individually for each of those) so not that unusual for him to be there. Can't remember what Brill was like before he returned to playing - had totally forgotten about his earlier coaching career at Orient and Luton.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:23 pm
Do you know what? When I go to matches I tend to watch the game rather than focus on what a goalkeeper coach is doing.
Do you know what? When I go to matches, I have the mental capacity to take in more than one thing that's happening at a time.

Seeing as you don't, trust me when I say that's what happens. The only question is whether this is normal behaviour at other clubs. That's the bit I need input on - my guess is that it isn't.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:47 pm
Do you know what? When I go to matches, I have the mental capacity to take in more than one thing that's happening at a time.

Seeing as you don't, trust me when I say that's what happens. The only question is whether this is normal behaviour at other clubs. That's the bit I need input on - my guess is that it isn't.
Mental capacity!! Ohhh get her 😂
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Deardo was very much involved from memory, and was Slades man on the training pitch to understand what the mood was and to help boost morale. Saying that, from what I can remember it was pretty much 3 of them. Manager, assistant in Nuge and GK coach.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:27 pm

Deardo was very much involved from memory, and was Slades man on the training pitch to understand what the mood was and to help boost morale. Saying that, from what I can remember it was pretty much 3 of them. Manager, assistant in Nuge and GK coach.
Yeah, that's true.

The goalkeeping coach after him was pretty instrumental too, translating and what not.

I think I'm on a loser here, I'll shut up now.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:25 pm

Mental capacity!! Ohhh get her 😂
Ha ha, you used a female pronoun to infer that I'm a female, as that would some how be less than a male! Ha ha!!