Ramadan In The 21st Century

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Esteban
Fresh Alias

Re: Ramadan In The 21st Century

Post by Esteban »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:09 pm
Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:19 am Why is a Leyton Orient message board slowly turning into a refuge for thinly veiled Islamophobia?

Really, really disappointing and I seriously hope the admins take appropriate action.

There is a wildly disproportionate amount of threads on this board about Islam, which is odd considering this is a football message board.

I note that the OP, like others on here, is quick to caveat his comment with the classic line of "I'm being controversial here" and suggesting that any stick he may get for his misplaced comments are simply the result of "political correctness". And indeed, we already see a member dismissing a very valid point against the original comment by claiming that a "PC alarm" has gone off.

I'm certain that the person who set up this message board did not do it so that this kind of behavior can flourish.
Maybe you should try discussing things with people you disagree with rather than trying to shut them down like a fascist.
The idea that pointing out obvious bigotry is "shutting them down" is hilarious.

Why would I waste my time "discussing" anything with a blinkered Islamophobe? The way people like you constantly try to frame themselves as the victim "I was just having an opinion and the nasty PC brigade shut me down" is truly pathetic.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Can people please stop talking about Gammons because it's really boiling Ornchurch's bacon.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Beradogs wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:47 am Any religion that kills animals for food by making them suffer a terrible death deserves all the ridicule it gets. f*** Em.
so any non religious meat eater is fine ?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Periods of fasting or abstinence is common place in religion. As a Catholic is was fish on Fridays and the need to give up something during Lent. Allegedly aimed at promoting self discipline and as an atonement for sins. Not aware that this was the cause of a lack of ability to do a job.

However, never really thought about Ramadan before. But it’s not a stretch to consider the possibility of such strict fasting having an effect on someone’s ability to perform their job fully and in some cases impact public safety. That is not an unreasonable question. Not too sure how fasting pilots cope when daylight can last for many more hours on long haul depending on the direction of the journey.

But who knows, I doubt statistics exist for this sort of thing and even the mere thought of collecting them would cause outrage. So any risks. We will never know.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

dOh Nut wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:24 pm Periods of fasting or abstinence is common place in religion. As a Catholic is was fish on Fridays and the need to give up something during Lent. Allegedly aimed at promoting self discipline and as an atonement for sins. Not aware that this was the cause of a lack of ability to do a job.

However, never really thought about Ramadan before. But it’s not a stretch to consider the possibility of such strict fasting having an effect on someone’s ability to perform their job fully and in some cases impact public safety. That is not an unreasonable question. Not too sure how fasting pilots cope when daylight can last for many more hours on long haul depending on the direction of the journey.

But who knows, I doubt statistics exist for this sort of thing and even the mere thought of collecting them would cause outrage. So any risks. We will never know.

My understanding is they operate on the daylight hours at the place they take off at, irrespective of where they are and whether it is daylight.

I understand this question arose previously regarding an astronaut in space where it was continuous daylight owing to their orbit. I understand it was decreed they must observe the daylight hours at the launch site
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

West Side Story wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:37 am I am going to be controversial here, but would like to open up a serious & sensible debate. This year Ramadan is falling in May/June. In the UK this is the period of maximum daylight hours. People who observe Ramadan, cease eating & often drinking too during daylight hours, unless they have a medical dispensation, and even then they often attempt to observe the fast. There is an article about this on the BBC website about a girl who says she gets ratty. Now I have a vested interest as, I lost my job because of this ( somebody else was fasting ). But are we happy that the bus or lorry driver has been driving all day long with nothing to eat? Or what about being treated by a doctor similarly starved? Teachers on their feet all day and so on. Being diabetic I know that low blood glucose can have a bad effect on your body. Often creeping up on you without you being aware. Anyone know if anyone has collected data on traffic accidents during Ramadan? My gut instinct tells me that this is a similar situation to the Asian grooming offences. Because of sensitivity to peoples Religion, Political Correctness and so on, it is perhaps a "no-go " area. Over to you guys. Please try and be objective. This is a serious thread.
You still haven't explained why you lost your job.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:18 pm
The fact that you can't see the difference between making fun of somebodies political position and having a pop at somebodies race/religion/ethnicity, explains a lot.
It might be connected to a political position but it is actually making fun of the colour and tone of their skin.
Which is something that you ordinarily seem to be against.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Ornchurch wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:57 pm
The fact that you can't see the difference between making fun of somebodies political position and having a pop at somebodies race/religion/ethnicity, explains a lot.
It might be connected to a political position but it is actually making fun of the colour and tone of their skin.
Oh give it a rest, hammy.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:59 pm
No. Just trying to understand why it is ok to have a pop at some people based on their skin colour but not all.

And be as boring as Esteban in the process. :lol:
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

Trying to defend Islamophobia by claiming that I'm a hypocrite for not having too much sympathy for somebody else using the phrase "gammon" really is clutching at straws.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:03 pm
Trying to defend Islamophobia by claiming that I'm a hypocrite for not having too much sympathy for somebody else using the phrase "gammon" really is clutching at straws.
Wrong again. Not defending Islamophobia but just asking a question why attacking white people on the colour of their skin is acceptable?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Ornchurch wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:01 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:59 pm

No. Just trying to understand why it is ok to have a pop at some people based on their skin colour but not all.

And be as boring as Esteban in the process. :lol:
You're the boaring one on this subject.

Can everyone please ignore the gammons ham-fisted attempts to de-rail this thread and get it bacon track.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

As a Christian i am forced by my religion to spend Christmas day with my family. This leads to agitation, depression, violent thoughts and a propensity to driving home at excessive speed.

Why is no-one calling for Christmas to be banned.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

[Gammon]If they get their way, xmas will be banned.[/Gammon]
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:10 pm
You're the boaring one on this subject.

Can everyone please ignore the gammons ham-fisted attempts to de-rail this thread and get it bacon track.
Like it :lol:
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

Ornchurch wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Wrong again. Not defending Islamophobia but just asking a question why attacking white people on the colour of their skin is acceptable?
Where did I say it was?

Even more amusing is that you're trying to claim that my lack of protest against the use of the word "gammon" must mean that I don't have a problem with it. Well, using the same logic, your lack of protest against Islamphobic comments is evidence that you don't have a problem with it.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

spen666 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:36 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:24 pm Periods of fasting or abstinence is common place in religion. As a Catholic is was fish on Fridays and the need to give up something during Lent. Allegedly aimed at promoting self discipline and as an atonement for sins. Not aware that this was the cause of a lack of ability to do a job.

My understanding is they operate on the daylight hours at the place they take off at, irrespective of where they are and whether it is daylight.

I understand this question arose previously regarding an astronaut in space where it was continuous daylight owing to their orbit. I understand it was decreed they must observe the daylight hours at the launch site

Sounds sensible. I guess when the rules were originally set airline and space travel where non existent so the interpretation has moved with the times, which is fair enough. That being the case a minor change regarding those with safety affected jobs could perhaps be considered without reducing the religious aspect of it.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Where did I say it was?

Even more amusing is that you're trying to claim that my lack of protest against the use of the word "gammon" must mean that I don't have a problem with it. Well, using the same logic, your lack of protest against Islamphobic comments is evidence that you don't have a problem with it.
I don't have a problem with anything that doesn't concern me. Which is why I have a problem with you accusing me of being Islamophobic based on a flippant post on a messageboard.
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

Ornchurch wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:21 pm
Esteban wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Where did I say it was?

I don't have a problem with anything that doesn't concern me. Which is why I have a problem with you accusing me of being Islamophobic based on a flippant post on a messageboard.
Thank you for proving my point wonderfully.

To YOU it's flippant, to others it isn't.

And this is precisely the problem. YOU can't understand how the "one rule for THEM, different rules for US" narrative not only feeds into bigotry, it is a bigoted opinion in and of itself. It's also unnecessarily divisive and part of a "THEM v US" mentality. But you can't see this, and anybody who calls you out for it must be "politically correct".

The fact that you're finding form defending Islamophobic boarding is suggesting that my assessment of you is very much correct.

You claim to take issue with all religions, yet i've only ever seen you make comments about one in particular. Wonder why that is....
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Right, I have been doing other things since I posted and not been online. I was not running away! Typical,when people do controversial things and hide behind Religion, people shout out Racism etc! Now i reckon abstaining from food and drink whilst doing an important job, is controversial, if you read my article carefully before your apoplexies, you would have noted my highlighting Ramadan in the period of longest total daylight. I know from being a diabetic, if I have done unusual exercise and not eaten, I become quite light headed. Some diabetics have been accused of being drunk until further tested.
Now for the nosey people who need to know why I lost my job ( why? ). I had a dream job as a school lab technician after I took early retirement from BT. The head Technician was a Muslim. He was always pretty horrible to me and in fact I reported him for bullying ( the bizarre thing is, he put his hands up and admitted to it ). Anyway after I had been there 6 months, I went in to work with a fairly high fever. I felt rough and told them. Head Tech was fasting and had been ratty for a few days. Ofsted were in the school and he delivered the wrong books to the wrong class. He had his ear bent by Head of Science Dept. I was busy doing my own work and he snarled at me to sort out his drop-off. Being unwell I told him to F-off and I was going home sick. When I returned to work, I was told I was sacked by Headmaster ( he not know I joined Union ). There was a big row involving Local Authority. Headmaster refused to back down. i was offered virtually any job going in the Council. But politely told them what they could do with their job, as I now had picked up my BT Retirement lump sum and getting full pension. But I was livid as this was my dream job. Karma: I was told 18 months later head tech had gone & Headmaster was sacked as he had drunkenly wrapped his car around a tree, shortly after having his collar felt for trying to trade Honours!
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

And it ain't just Islam. All Religions have some pretty bizarre practises
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

West Side Story wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:04 pm Right, I have been doing other things since I posted and not been online. I was not running away! Typical,when people do controversial things and hide behind Religion, people shout out Racism etc! Now i reckon abstaining from food and drink whilst doing an important job, is controversial, if you read my article carefully before your apoplexies, you would have noted my highlighting Ramadan in the period of longest total daylight. I know from being a diabetic, if I have done unusual exercise and not eaten, I become quite light headed. Some diabetics have been accused of being drunk until further tested.
Now for the nosey people who need to know why I lost my job ( why? ). I had a dream job as a school lab technician after I took early retirement from BT. The head Technician was a Muslim. He was always pretty horrible to me and in fact I reported him for bullying ( the bizarre thing is, he put his hands up and admitted to it ). Anyway after I had been there 6 months, I went in to work with a fairly high fever. I felt rough and told them. Head Tech was fasting and had been ratty for a few days. Ofsted were in the school and he delivered the wrong books to the wrong class. He had his ear bent by Head of Science Dept. I was busy doing my own work and he snarled at me to sort out his drop-off. Being unwell I told him to F-off and I was going home sick. When I returned to work, I was told I was sacked by Headmaster ( he not know I joined Union ). There was a big row involving Local Authority. Headmaster refused to back down. i was offered virtually any job going in the Council. But politely told them what they could do with their job, as I now had picked up my BT Retirement lump sum and getting full pension. But I was livid as this was my dream job. Karma: I was told 18 months later head tech had gone & Headmaster was sacked as he had drunkenly wrapped his car around a tree, shortly after having his collar felt for trying to trade Honours!
Was the Headmaster of a particular religious persuasion? Clearly he was, as such dastardly actions can surely be traced back to some ‘quaint’ custom.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

West Side Story wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:04 pm Right, I have been doing other things since I posted and not been online. I was not running away! Typical,when people do controversial things and hide behind Religion, people shout out Racism etc! Now i reckon abstaining from food and drink whilst doing an important job, is controversial, if you read my article carefully before your apoplexies, you would have noted my highlighting Ramadan in the period of longest total daylight. I know from being a diabetic, if I have done unusual exercise and not eaten, I become quite light headed. Some diabetics have been accused of being drunk until further tested.
You can't go around telling people to eff off FFS! And not expect to get the tin tack. You would never catch me being abusive like that.
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

To cut a long (and boring) story short, you got the boot for telling a colleague to f*ck off after he asked you to do your job. Said colleague happened to be a muslim so now you go around football message boards posting Islamophobic drivel in some bizarre form of revenge.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

West Side Story wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:04 pm Right, I have been doing other things since I posted and not been online. I was not running away! Typical,when people do controversial things and hide behind Religion, people shout out Racism etc!
I am not sure you understand what you are talking about Race & Religion are completely separate things. Not sure why you are conflating the two, unless you do not understand the difference.

Mind you you managed to being Asian grooming gangs into a post about the effects of fasting during Ramadan, so we shouldn't be too surprised

Now i reckon abstaining from food and drink whilst doing an important job, is controversial, if you read my article carefully before your apoplexies, you would have noted my highlighting Ramadan in the period of longest total daylight. I know from being a diabetic, if I have done unusual exercise and not eaten, I become quite light headed. Some diabetics have been accused of being drunk until further tested.
you may be diabetic and have problems if you fasted, but I hate to tell you not everyone else is diabetic or has health trouble if they fast

Who decides what is abstaining from food. If for example I choose not to have any lunch because I am having a large meal at tea time, am I fasting and should I be force fed at lunch time?

Are you really advocating force feeding people who choose not to eat when you decide they should eat?

Now, your clearly crackpot idea might have a hope of being listened to if there was even the slightest tiniest bit of evidence that missing lunch caused any risk to health. There is of course no such evidence in existence that I am aware of. You are complaining about an imaginary problem brought about seemingly because of some issue you have with a particular religion.

Indeed, man used to regularly fast and binge eat. Historically man was a hunter gatherer. He would eat when he had hunted and killed animals and fast inbetween such kills. So if you knew your history, you would realise that fasting is perfectly normal and indeed is more normal than the idea of eating three meals a day.

So, you were sacked for gross misconduct for using foul and abusive language towards another member of staff.

Were you fasting at the time? No? Then what has fasting got to do with your choice to use gross misconduct. You were sacked because of your own gross misconduct that had nothing to do with fasting at all.