Euro Votes

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Re: Euro Votes

Post by Eat The Rich »

KerryGold wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:57 am Yup. I am voting. Democracy at work. Love it

" It has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
WInston Churchill
One form of "democracy". One very strained and tarnished form at that. There are others but they're a bit too democratic. As for Churchill... We came up with the idea of hell for just such a man.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Eat The Rich wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 am
Article_50 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 am
Eat The Rich wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:32 am

Contender for prat of the thread already. Well done.

Eat The Rich, I'm actually taking the mickey but you can't see it as you're such a cretin.
I can't see it because (a) its the internet and subtlety is always lost. (b) I don't know you from Adam and (c) Its the sort of crap I read so often that its made identifying satire almost impossible.

Cretinism seems to me contextual. In a room of astrophysicists I would certainly be the cretin. On a Leyton Orient message board...not so much.
how about in a room with the Shadow Cabinet? ;)
eppinggas
Fresh Alias

Post by eppinggas »

West Side Story wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am Me & the doggie will cast our votes this afternoon. I have been a lifelong Labour Supporter. Used to be a member. But after Jezza's mealy mouthed efforts in the Referendum, I cancelled my subscription. I shall vote Liberal Democrat as they stand to make the best showing for the Remainers. I would probably vote Labour in a General Election, but considering how the Conservatives are so fixated with Brexit and have neglected: poverty, lawnorder, housing, transport infrastructure, education, defence ( you name it, really ); Jezza's politicing has been absolutely shameful. As for the doggie, she is a French breed & absolutely terrified of being deported back to La Belle France. She will therefore give anyone she thinks may vote for Farage, a fearsome licking.
Disgusting lack of attention to gardening legislation.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

OyinbO wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:04 am
Eat The Rich wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 am
Article_50 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 am

Eat The Rich, I'm actually taking the mickey but you can't see it as you're such a cretin.
I can't see it because (a) its the internet and subtlety is always lost. (b) I don't know you from Adam and (c) Its the sort of crap I read so often that its made identifying satire almost impossible.

Cretinism seems to me contextual. In a room of astrophysicists I would certainly be the cretin. On a Leyton Orient message board...not so much.
how about in a room with the Shadow Cabinet? ;)
Meh, about half way up. That Thornberry & Starmer are very highly educated.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Does anybody know what labour's view on Europe actually is? I don't and for that reason I can't see how I could vote for them. The tories too. At least the Lib-Dem's are consistent and clear in their views on this topic. I think they will fare well as a consequence - as will the Brexit party.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Me and the missus always go to the polling station together and I can then count it as having taken her out, a date night if you like.

We will both be voting Labour because only they can heal the country. I cannot and will not ever vote for the SNP.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

LittleMate wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:39 am Does anybody know what labour's view on Europe actually is? I don't and for that reason I can't see how I could vote for them. The tories too. At least the Lib-Dem's are consistent and clear in their views on this topic. I think they will fare well as a consequence - as will the Brexit party.
Labour's position is to leave but in the least damaging way and in a way that doesn't run roughshod over the millions that voted remain. If you want further division and unrest then make it winner takes all but you have to expect a bitter war of attrition.
Unlike the Tories Brexit cuts across the Labour vote and in their cack handed way they're trying not to self-destruct.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

So is this vote a sort of second referendum on Brexit, or a vote to send MEPs to the European Parliament? I'm a bit confused.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

LittleMate wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:39 am Does anybody know what labour's view on Europe actually is? I don't and for that reason I can't see how I could vote for them. The tories too. At least the Lib-Dem's are consistent and clear in their views on this topic. I think they will fare well as a consequence - as will the Brexit party.
The public doesn't. And seems to be quite insulted by Labour's insistently fudging it away in the build-up to a European election. And there's a risk that this lack of courage from the party may reflect badly on them beyond this election too.

The Tories have a similar problem, but - although I intensely dislike their answer to it - they are at least coming to terms with the new reality of British (and international) politics. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that the Labour leadership is wedded to a profoundly outdated view of the world.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

OyinbO wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:54 am
The public doesn't. And seems to be quite insulted by Labour's insistently fudging it away in the build-up to a European election. And there's a risk that this lack of courage from the party may reflect badly on them beyond this election too.

The Tories have a similar problem, but - although I intensely dislike their answer to it - they are at least coming to terms with the new reality of British (and international) politics. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that the Labour leadership is wedded to a profoundly outdated view of the world.
It's not a lack of courage Labour suffer from. It's trying to live with the political reality of not blowing up their party so they try to tread a line between their leave and remain factions.

The Tories have gone for the full Brexit implosion and the far right in their party are bolder than ever before. I can see the normally united Tories breaking up and their loony element allying themselves with Farage.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Thu May 23, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Just went. Almost spoiled it. Could barley hold the voting slip it was so long.

Almost went for the animal welfare party but went for Green in the end. Couldn’t care less who gets in and who doesn’t.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 pm Just went. Almost spoiled it. Could barley hold the voting slip it was so long.

Almost went for the animal welfare party but went for Green in the end. Couldn’t care less who gets in and who doesn’t.
Thats the spirit. Spoken like a true fan of democracy.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I’m not a huge fan of our democracy as it stands. Funnily enough the European elections system is better than our outdated general election one.

But I stick by the point, haven’t heard anything from any party about this election. Can’t imagine whoever wins will have any affect on me. Only thing I think is worth caring about atm is the environment hence the greens
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:03 pm

It's not a lack of courage Labour suffer from. It's trying to live with the political reality of not blowing up their party so they try to tread a line between their leave and remain factions.

The Tories have gone for the full Brexit implosion and the far right in their party are bolder than ever before. I can see the normally united Tories breaking up and their loony element allying themselves with Farage.
Their Leave faction is tiny. But it just so happens to be in charge of the party. And the overwhelming majority of its members, and majority of its voters are Remain. I'd like to understand how this reflects the fine talk about grassroots democracy and membership-led decision making (not that I necessarily agree with direct democracy as a way of running anything substantial, but Labour has got itself into another bind over this paradox too).

The longer that the Labour party refuses to confront this issue, the more they will lose relevance. These elections should be a very big warning sign, but we're beginning to see just how tin-eared the leadership really is.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

OyinbO wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:25 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Their Leave faction is tiny. But it just so happens to be in charge of the party. And the overwhelming majority of its members, and majority of its voters are Remain. I'd like to understand how this reflects the fine talk about grassroots democracy and membership-led decision making (not that I necessarily agree with direct democracy as a way of running anything substantial, but Labour has got itself into another bind over this paradox too).

The longer that the Labour party refuses to confront this issue, the more they will lose relevance. These elections should be a very big warning sign, but we're beginning to see just how tin-eared the leadership really is.
Harsh but also fair. I don't blame McDonnall and Corbyn, whether you agree with them or not I do believe that they are at least sincere. Their problem is that they've either not read the history of Social Democracy and its various critics or they have read it but have chosen to believe that for some reason that they're better suited to overcome the glaring flaws in the Social Democratic approach. For two men supposedly steeped in Marxism they don't seem to have internalised very much that he said at all. In fact both men are substantially to the Right of Lassalle, Marx's great adversary.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 pm Just went. Almost spoiled it. Could barley hold the voting slip it was so long.

Well, at least you're safe from criticism voting for them.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:44 am Me and the missus always go to the polling station together and I can then count it as having taken her out, a date night if you like.

We will both be voting Labour because only they can heal the country. I cannot and will not ever vote for the SNP.
Well well, look at you, you old romantic, maybe get her some chips on the way back and splash out on some iron bru and you'll be in for a good night!

Agree with you about the SNP.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Only tangentially on topic but I've got family on holiday in Bulgaria and apparently there's a very popular venue for a English tourists called the Brexit Bar.

Let the irony of that thoroughly sink in.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Eat The Rich wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:46 am
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:41 am Will vote Lib Dem as the most credible anti-Brexit party. Can't vote Labour currently with its absolute shambles of a leader.
Did you come up with that opinion all by yourself? Do you want to share what exactly it is about Corbyn that makes him a shambles? I'm not saying its not a valid opinion, just I hear it so often from people who when pressed seem to want to change the subject.
OyinbO has summed up my thoughts on the Labour leadership pretty well. I think Corbyn is a shambles because I find him a desperately weak leader who has failed to set out a clear plan for the biggest political event in my lifetime while being thoroughly dishonest about the whole thing. He's also allowed blatant anti-Semitism and anti-Israel conspiracism to go unpunished in the party and in the process alienated a lot of the membership (myself included).

I'm opposed to Brexit and he's clearly a leaver so we wouldn't exactly be a match made in heaven in a European election, but I'd have way more respect for him if he actually came out and said it rather than trying to sidestep the issue whenever asked about it.
Last edited by Millennial Snowflake on Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

I have no excuse not to vote, polling station in the church hall is 87 yards or at least paces away
Not decided yet who gets my X, but won't be any of the jingoistic nationalist flag waving morons
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Thor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 am There is only one party to vote for today, it’s as clear as the skies outside my house.
No doubt as empty and full of hot air too
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:37 pm
Eat The Rich wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:46 am
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:41 am Will vote Lib Dem as the most credible anti-Brexit party. Can't vote Labour currently with its absolute shambles of a leader.
Did you come up with that opinion all by yourself? Do you want to share what exactly it is about Corbyn that makes him a shambles? I'm not saying its not a valid opinion, just I hear it so often from people who when pressed seem to want to change the subject.
L
OyinbO has summed up my thoughts on the Labour leadership pretty well. I think Corbyn is a shambles because I find him a desperately weak leader who has failed to set out a clear plan for the biggest political event in my lifetime while being completely thoroughly about the whole thing. He's also allowed blatant anti-Semitism and anti-Israel conspiracism to go unpunished in the party and in the process alienated a lot of the membership (myself included).

I'm opposed to Brexit and he's clearly a leaver so we wouldn't exactly be a match made in heaven in a European election, but I'd have way more respect for him if he actually came out and said it rather than trying to sidestep the issue whenever asked about it.
Saying Corbyn has allowed Anti-Semitism to go unpunished is simply a lie. The party have a disciplinary process to deal with it and it does and members have been expelled.

But you go onto couple Antisemitism to anti Israelism. That is dangerous. People are free to criticise the State of Israel and the atrocities it perpetrates against the Palestinians when it bombs and murders innocent civilians without being Antisemitic
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

I'm not bothering I wanted out and think that it would be hypocritical to do so.
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

Hopefully the 17million plus (and hopefully more) should all use this as their 2nd referendum and vote for the BREXIT parties as it seems to me that all the others want to remain no matter how the original vote went. It is not as if we are directly voting to elect our govt - only MEPs, That is what the general election is for and when the leaver parties get the job finished they will disappear and everyone can all go back to vote for their favourite party that will mess the country up. .
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

WickfordO wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:51 pm Hopefully the 17million plus (and hopefully more) should all use this as their 2nd referendum and vote for the BREXIT parties as it seems to me that all the others want to remain no matter how the original vote went. It is not as if we are directly voting to elect our govt - only MEPs, That is what the general election is for and when the leaver parties get the job finished they will disappear and everyone can all go back to vote for their favourite party that will mess the country up. .
Or think about the people you are voting for who will represent us in the coming years when we remain in the EU