Teague's programme column

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Teague's programme column

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Yeah, the thing about some people think we will be relegated every year is a bit of an overreaction. But remember in summer 2018 (the summer before the promotion season) we had fans threatening to no longer support the club as they didn't like the new kit.

Appreciate that this is a results business, but I imagine his frustration relates to us being at a higher level and fans not calibrating expectations based on that. Particularly as the leadership have had longer term plans that they want to work to which are not as appealing to fans. This season has definitely not been a good one and we have made some very poor decisions, but some of the hysteria is way over the top.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

eagwgw wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:15 am If a fan wrote that, the apologists would be slagging him for being entitled, and to remember that our manager died before the season began.

I can see why he wrote it. It must be more frustrating for him, given he has invested millions into the club.

But he notes that public displays of disappointment often have the opposite effect of what he intended, and isn't this a public display of disappointment?

I don't think Nigel would have said something like this. His style would be to take collective responsibility, like he did with Fletcher even though much of that could not be his fault, the board would just go with Lingy's recommendations.

The coaching staff and players would read Teague and think the geezer has no understanding of what is going on. It seems implausible as a fan to be suffering 'hurt' or 'hardship' or 'suffering', yet if we were 4 points better off in the League (which would put us 14th), there would not be these feelings.

On reflection I think these terms are wrong. Justin's family, that's hurt and hardship. A few points off a mid-table position or some crap performances is not. Disappointing maybe, but if I were the owners I would not be feeling hurt, either the coaches improve or we get someone else, it is simple.
Yeah, it’s not hardship, this is normality.

I fully expected the love in to fade out at some point; I didn’t expect it to be so soon or whilst at L2 level.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

I think it's a measured response to the current situation, but there there is hyperbole on both sides. I don't think he it truly 'suffering' any more than there are actual real fans who think we will be relegated every year, as their default start position.

I've no doubt everyone wants the best for the club in the long, medium and short timeframe - that's surely a given. What I'd like to hear is that he won't shy away from making the difficult decisions if the time comes.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Of course there are pessimistic fans. Watching Orient year after year, it's understandable that some people have had any hope knocked out of them. And it's the same for the vast majority of genuine, game-attending fans up and down the country.

But to suggest they should remain silent is not on. And frankly, it's not going to happen.

It's all part of his learning curve, I guess.
Article_50
Fresh Alias

Post by Article_50 »

It reminds me of Churchill's we shall fight on the beaches speech. We've had it but we're not gonna give up
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Cryptic Kent is back, and as used to be the case, only the smartest ones can decode what's he's really saying...
Stamford O
Fresh Alias

Post by Stamford O »

OyinbO wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:05 pm Cryptic Kent is back, and as used to be the case, only the smartest ones can decode what's he's really saying...
I'll get my coat
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

All I ask from this season is we don’t finish bottom and relegated. If that means my expectations are too high then I’m guilty.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:21 am Yeah, the thing about some people think we will be relegated every year is a bit of an overreaction. But remember in summer 2018 (the summer before the promotion season) we had fans threatening to no longer support the club as they didn't like the new kit.

Appreciate that this is a results business, but I imagine his frustration relates to us being at a higher level and fans not calibrating expectations based on that. Particularly as the leadership have had longer term plans that they want to work to which are not as appealing to fans. This season has definitely not been a good one and we have made some very poor decisions, but some of the hysteria is way over the top.
I would say not being relegated is the expectation from the vast majority of the fanbase, it would be a disaster and there's no way it could be dressed up any differently.

The one I still don't get is how anyone can categorically, absolutely state we won't be relegated this season. Until the maths says otherwise we've got no more right to stay up than Morecambe, Stevenage or Macclesfield.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

gshaw wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:14 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:21 am Yeah, the thing about some people think we will be relegated every year is a bit of an overreaction. But remember in summer 2018 (the summer before the promotion season) we had fans threatening to no longer support the club as they didn't like the new kit.

I would say not being relegated is the expectation from the vast majority of the fanbase, it would be a disaster and there's no way it could be dressed up any differently.

The one I still don't get is how anyone can categorically, absolutely state we won't be relegated this season. Until the maths says otherwise we've got no more right to stay up than Morecambe, Stevenage or Macclesfield.
This is correct. It's wishful thinking to say we won't be relegated. Our current form is full on relegation stuff.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

It's fine. Ross Tumbledown just needs to announce that he's stepping down, and we'll immediately start winning matches. We don't even need to find another manager in the meantime.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:22 pm
gshaw wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:14 pm

This is correct. It's wishful thinking to say we won't be relegated. Our current form is full on relegation stuff.
Yep. Fully agree with that. No way can we be complacent. And despite our predicament I really believe the board and leadership are not being complacement, albeit overrating how good we can be at present. The current longer term plan might call for a year of lower investment this season- perhaps realising we were unlikely to pull up trees after the trauma of the offseason's events and instead focusing on putting funds in for next year. If that's the case then we need to review and revise our plan on the go (as top businessmen like Travis and Teague are used to doing) because we do need the investment this transfer window to avoid risk of setting the plan back by putting us into the NL again.