Orient’s Penalty

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Redcard
Fresh Alias

Re: Orient’s Penalty

Post by Redcard »

I didn’t notice on the night but from the video it looks like Sotiriou pushed Dayton who had hold of the Northampton player forcing them to the ground.
Urbane Vancelo
Fresh Alias

Post by Urbane Vancelo »

Why wasn't Wright getting the ball out of the back of the net, seeing as it was the 85th minute? No, he was off doing a glory mudslide after scoring a penalty! Congratulations.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Probably reflects the mentality that a point would have been a good point before the match.

If Wright had it in his mind that once he scored he had to get the ball back on the centre-spot, none of the resultant fights would have happened, as the defender would have been nowhere near.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Harsh penalty. The lad was clearly nudged in mid-air although he had badly mistimed his jump anyway. If it had robbed us of a valuable win I'd have been fuming as well BUT its always the risk when you try to grind out a narrow win. If you sit deep and try to soak up pressure there's always the chance that eventually the pressure will tell.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Urbane Vancelo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:37 pm Why wasn't Wright getting the ball out of the back of the net, seeing as it was the 85th minute? No, he was off doing a glory mudslide after scoring a penalty! Congratulations.
Yep, this is spot on.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

eagwgw wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:48 pm Probably reflects the mentality that a point would have been a good point before the match.

If Wright had it in his mind that once he scored he had to get the ball back on the centre-spot, none of the resultant fights would have happened, as the defender would have been nowhere near.
Gotta cup your ear to the South Stand boo boys then do a knee slide first, innit.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

After the ref blew up immediately for the penalty he then took an absolute age to determine whether it was the right decision and stood over the ball with his hand to his ear piece.

I really thought he was gonna change his mind.

The fact he didn't even book the player in my mind shows that I think he knew it was the wrong decision, or he got told it was the wrong decision.

Can anyone on here explain what alternative he could have given after blowing up and pointing to the spot? Drop ball to Northampton? Indirect free kick to the O's? I dunno.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Tent Keague wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:59 pm After the ref blew up immediately for the penalty he then took an absolute age to determine whether it was the right decision and stood over the ball with his hand to his ear piece.

I really thought he was gonna change his mind.

The fact he didn't even book the player in my mind shows that I think he knew it was the wrong decision, or he got told it was the wrong decision.

Can anyone on here explain what alternative he could have given after blowing up and pointing to the spot? Drop ball to Northampton? Indirect free kick to the O's? I dunno.
Why did he need to book the Northampton player?
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Because it was a handball that stopped a goal scoring opportunity about 6 yards from goal.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

The law that is in pace now says that if the ball hits any part of the arm in the penalty area and the arm is not in a natural position and that the extension changes the players silhouette it’s a penalty. No off buts or maybes. That’s why you now see a lot of players put their arms behind there backs held together so they can’t be hit by the ball in the area.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Urbane Vancelo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:37 pm Why wasn't Wright getting the ball out of the back of the net, seeing as it was the 85th minute? No, he was off doing a glory mudslide after scoring a penalty! Congratulations.
Good point

To busy doing his celebration
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Thor wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:21 pm The law that is in pace now says that if the ball hits any part of the arm in the penalty area and the arm is not in a natural position and that the extension changes the players silhouette it’s a penalty. No off buts or maybes. That’s why you now see a lot of players put their arms behind there backs held together so they can’t be hit by the ball in the area.
Did you get that out of a magazine in one of your many tat piles Gilso
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Tent Keague wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:07 pm Because it was a handball that stopped a goal scoring opportunity about 6 yards from goal.
I don't think that you can call a cross in to a crowded penalty box a goalscoring opportunity. :lol:

It was hardly an open goal or a one on one.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

It was a 2 on 1. If the guy don't head or handball it, it's dropping straight to JMD or Sotiriou?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Tent Keague wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:07 pm Because it was a handball that stopped a goal scoring opportunity about 6 yards from goal.
It wasn't deliberate and the ref isn't going to give the penalty/penalise the player in that circumstance for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. The penalty given was for handball, which though accidental was still handball, and therefore penalty and no card was the right call.
Grahamorient
Fresh Alias

Post by Grahamorient »

I find it hard to believe that the aggro after the penalty only lasted 3 mins if it was the 85th minute...only 8 mins extra time played.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

For the sending off like like someone else (orient player) pushed dayton in the back causing them both to go down. Wonder if we'll appeal that
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

I like Sotirou's spirit in this incident. The least experienced player on the park and far from the biggest physically - he's right in amongst it. That's the spirit of a winner IMO.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I thought this too. If it had been a goal from open play maybe that celebration was justified but like u I’d rather he had gone and got the ball from the net and as captain on the field run with it back to the centre circle and told the rest of the team come on we can win this now.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

LittleMate wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:49 am I like Sotirou's spirit in this incident. The least experienced player on the park and far from the biggest physically - he's right in amongst it. That's the spirit of a winner IMO.
Absolutely this.

He's definitely got the right minerals.