Police seek more powers to stop Extinction Rebellion crippling London with protests

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

spen666
Regular
Regular

Re: Police seek more powers to stop Extinction Rebellion crippling London with protests

Post by spen666 »

Redcard wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:04 pm Spike, that’s the crux of my argument, the protesters set out to inconvenience others. I personally don’t want my right to go about my business curtailed in that way.
Spen, where have I suggested that only the ones I disagreed with should be outlawed.
I said clearly that with all the available means of communication that disruptive protests were unnecessary.
You really haven't got a clue have you what the consequences of your proposals are.

You have outlawed football, people going to work, kids playing, even people shopping g.

Now, you may stop and ask why people congregate to protest if your other methods are so effective

We haven't even dealt into the fact that the state can control access to social media and thus stop people using that, thus not really very effective protest is it
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Re: Police seek more powers to stop Extinction Rebellion crippling London with protests

Post by BoniO »

spen666 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 pm
Redcard wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:04 pm Spike, that’s the crux of my argument, the protesters set out to inconvenience others. I personally don’t want my right to go about my business curtailed in that way.
Spen, where have I suggested that only the ones I disagreed with should be outlawed.
I said clearly that with all the available means of communication that disruptive protests were unnecessary.
You really haven't got a clue have you what the consequences of your proposals are.

You have outlawed football, people going to work, kids playing, even people shopping g.

Now, you may stop and ask why people congregate to protest if your other methods are so effective

We haven't even dealt into the fact that the state can control access to social media and thus stop people using that, thus not really very effective protest is it
Are you a bit bonkers Spen?
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

BoniO wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:58 pm
spen666 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Are you a bit bonkers Spen?
The only thing bonkers is trying to outlaw the right of assembly and protest.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Spen, are you drunk or just incapable of digesting exactly what I have repeated over and over.
I am talking about demonstrations and mass protests held on our streets, while you are carping on about groups of people attending football matches , a a handful of people grumbling about late trains.
You really are acting like the village idiot. Take time out.
Constantine
Fresh Alias

Post by Constantine »

Imagine the disruption when sea levels rise 12 feet and Oxford becomes the new south coast of Britain. More power to Extinction Rebellion I say.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Constantine, don’t worry about that. Long before sea levels rise 12 feet the mad mullahs of Iran would have leveled London.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Odd post.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:38 pm Odd post.
Agreed. Grammatically incorrect.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Redcard wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:10 pm Constantine, don’t worry about that. Long before sea levels rise 12 feet the mad mullahs of Iran would have leveled London.
What on earth are you talking about?
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Redcard wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:42 pm Spen, are you drunk or just incapable of digesting exactly what I have repeated over and over.
I am talking about demonstrations and mass protests held on our streets, while you are carping on about groups of people attending football matches , a a handful of people grumbling about late trains.

You are rather naive.

If you stop the right of assembly & protest, you stop it for everyone.

You seem to be under some form of misapprehension that it would be otherwise.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

I mean, I vehemently oppose his frankly ridiculous proposal to ban protests and public gatherings, but even if that happened, it wouldn't stop you taking your kid to the park or going to a football match. To suggest otherwise is equally ridiculous.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 pm I mean, I vehemently oppose his frankly ridiculous proposal to ban protests and public gatherings, but even if that happened, it wouldn't stop you taking your kid to the park or going to a football match. To suggest otherwise is equally ridiculous.
If you outlaw the right to assembly, you outlaw it for everyone.

If you disagree, let's see how you would draft the legislation?

Sadly whilst you may only intend to stop extinction rebellion, the legislation would by necessity be so wide that it covers situations you never intended, then you are relying on the police discretion
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

I don't need to really. You just need to look at all the tinpot/despot countries that clamp down on anti-government protests while still allowing children to play on the swings or, for example, Dynamo Berlin to play in and win the East German Bundesliga.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

spen666 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 pm
Redcard wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:42 pm Spen, are you drunk or just incapable of digesting exactly what I have repeated over and over.

You are rather naive.

If you stop the right of assembly & protest, you stop it for everyone.

You seem to be under some form of misapprehension that it would be otherwise.
You seem to be under some form of misapprehension that this is not a transparent wind up.