Ratings thread

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Re: Ratings thread

Post by jamespevans »

We can only hope that 5-3-2 is now well and truly buried, alongside the 16yo who was given the job of programming the replays in the live stream.

If Ross had done his homework he'd done it really badly. Swindon have played five in midfield all season (4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1) so what was the point in only having Clay, Wright & Brophy up against that formation. Our wing backs (I use the term loosely with regard to Ling and Widdowson) never got forward and, because we played too narrow, had no cover in front of them. Clay/Wright were woeful, not supporting the front two or protecting the back five. There were times when they were so deep we actually had a back seven! Brophy is a WINGER and giving him a free role behind the strikers means he's anonymous if there is no link up play (the same happened last week at Salford). So what do we resort to - the long ball where Angel and Wilkinson were up against a minimum of three opposing players every time they got the ball.

After the break we were better, actual width, linking up in the middle and shots on goal from less than 25 yards. As an aside - Gorman will probably be our first suspended player, a hell of an achievement for somebody who hasn't started a league game yet.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

For Brophy to turn in a performance like that after signing a new contract this week is actually pretty funny. Borderline disgrace.

Clay and Wright both need to take a look at themselves too, although the 532 catastrophe is a mitigating factor. And don't get me started on Brill today.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

jamespevans wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 pm We can only hope that 5-3-2 is now well and truly buried, alongside the 16yo who was given the job of programming the replays in the live stream.

If Ross had done his homework he'd done it really badly. Swindon have played five in midfield all season (4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1) so what was the point in only having Clay, Wright & Brophy up against that formation. Our wing backs (I use the term loosely with regard to Ling and Widdowson) never got forward and, because we played too narrow, had no cover in front of them. Clay/Wright were woeful, not supporting the front two or protecting the back five. There were times when they were so deep we actually had a back seven! Brophy is a WINGER and giving him a free role behind the strikers means he's anonymous if there is no link up play (the same happened last week at Salford). So what do we resort to - the long ball where Angel and Wilkinson were up against a minimum of three opposing players every time they got the ball.

After the break we were better, actual width, linking up in the middle and shots on goal from less than 25 yards. As an aside - Gorman will probably be our first suspended player, a hell of an achievement for somebody who hasn't started a league game yet.

They had 3 at the back today?
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

The first half was a disgrace, it was like watching a cup game against a team 3 divisions above. Brill , Clay and widowson decided to have their worse displays , and I honestly don’t see what Wilkinson adds. I don’t think he offers more than Harold , lacks pace and doesn’t make dangerous runs . I am not joking when I say that I would even prefer Alabi . Gorman had his best game . After Tuesday Ogie should have been first name on the team sheet , and what is the point in loaning marsh. Embleton can’t motivate.
Rant over.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Redcard wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:05 pm The first half was a disgrace, it was like watching a cup game against a team 3 divisions above. Brill , Clay and widowson decided to have their worse displays , and I honestly don’t see what Wilkinson adds. I don’t think he offers more than Harold , lacks pace and doesn’t make dangerous runs . I am not joking when I say that I would even prefer Alabi . Gorman had his best game . After Tuesday Ogie should have been first name on the team sheet , and what is the point in loaning marsh. Embleton can’t motivate.
Rant over.
Agree. I thought exactly the same about a cup game against a higher division
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Although when a lower division side is outclassed in a Cup tie, they usually at least show a bit of intensity and desire.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Terrible first half, worst I have seen for a few years.

Had Embleton been brave enough to change formation after 15 minutes when it was blatantly obvious we were getting over run we might just have salvaged something from today. It's one thing having five at the back but they were so deep it just invited Swindon on in the first 45 mins. Why he waited to half time and why he changed formation after Tuesday night only he knows.

I thought Swindon were very good today and I wouldn't want to take anything away from their performance but we made it easier than it should have been first half, If Ross is going to have a managerial career he's going to have to grow a pair and try and put things right during the game not wait for a pow-wow at half time, starting to have doubts about the interim appointments after today morally a good thing to do but we are going to be exploited big time if we keep making radical tactical errors.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

RedO wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:20 pm
jamespevans wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 pm We can only hope that 5-3-2 is now well and truly buried, alongside the 16yo who was given the job of programming the replays in the live stream.

They did. they were 3-5-2 most of the time and had runners all over the place, we were pedestrian in comparison. Their manager has said he expected a much tougher game today and was pleasantly surprised we changed formation as we were obviously worried about them.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Top of the West. wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:22 pm Their manager has said he expected a much tougher game today and was pleasantly surprised we changed formation as we were obviously worried about them.
And that's why Ross isn't going to cut it as a manager in a nutshell.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

gshaw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:24 pm Maybe I shouldn't write these just yet but what the hell...

Brill - 5 - doesn't look quite rightmentally, think JE loss hit him very hard
Widdowson - 5 - maybe a bit generous, poor
Ekpiteta - 6 - tried his heart out
Happe - 4 - slow . 2 cb needed not 3
Coulson - 4 - needs to up the b*llockings a notch
Ling - 5 - plenty of space for the boy , but the ball kept going left , we are lopsided there & predictable
Clay - 0 - needs time out the starting XI
Wright - 3 - poor
Brophy - 1 - fell over a couple of times 1st half that was about it
Wilkinson - 4 - won a couple of headers . Rather Matt H tp start a few games
Angol - 6 - ran about & got amongst them.
Unlucky not to do more

JMD - 6 - top notch goal and made things happen. Either he or Dennis should've started
Dennis - 6- as per JMD but without a goal to show for it

Both subs need to start.
Just used your info with a slight change here & there
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

gshaw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:24 pm
Top of the West. wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:22 pm Their manager has said he expected a much tougher game today and was pleasantly surprised we changed formation as we were obviously worried about them.
And that's why Ross isn't going to cut it as a manager in a nutshell.
I've been saying we need a new experienced manager for awhile now . After reading the comments on here and the match day ratings it's obvious Ross isn't the answer .
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Top of the West. wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:22 pm
RedO wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:20 pm

They did. they were 3-5-2 most of the time and had runners all over the place, we were pedestrian in comparison. Their manager has said he expected a much tougher game today and was pleasantly surprised we changed formation as we were obviously worried about them.
It’s also why it’s wrong when people say it’s a negative formation. When you have the right players, it can be very exciting. But we haven’t.