RE says midfielder coming in next week

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: RE says midfielder coming in next week

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:33 pm After today's performance, I'd rather we bring in a forward as that's the area I fear we're lightest in, but a different option in the centre of the midfield would be welcome.
In reality , we need both a new striker and a central midfielder .
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

I got a feeling if we have a repeat of Plymouth or Macclesfield against Mansfield our hand might be forced.

For sure Mansfield will know how to set up against us, it all looks a bit too easy at the moment. Stick a man on Brophy and kick him about a bit, and then what? Not as if we are going to be breaking down the wings or centre of the pitch with any pace or trickery.... let us have the ball in deep positions and eventually we will hoof it long or cross from deep positions.

Anthony Grant sounds like he's done something pretty bad and personality-wise sounds a bit different to what we have but is the type we need, whatever formation it is going forward. He might be a risk because of his wages, but with time running out in the transfer window we might have to gamble.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

O my gawd wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 pm
gshaw wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:16 pm About time too, let's hope it's the kind of player we've needed for far too long and not another Brentford 19 year old on loan.
Being negative again young Gerald???
Instead of writing not another 19 year old Brentford player, why can't you write hope he's another Ebou Adams.

Interesting to note today that 19 year old Zain Westbrooke played 90 minutes in a 2-0 for Coventry today as they went 4th in League 1. Maybe just maybe the people at the club do actually know what they are doing rather than us Laptop Football Managers 😂
Nearly got the name right but it's the thought that counts ;)

We all know the type of player we want, that's been said over and over on here and elsewhere. Similarly we don't need a passenger lacking in physicality. Remember Steve Davis, he was at the club too but that didn't count for much.

As someone else posts above the weak youth player we were supplied from Brentford years ago would be a different player by now if he's still in professional football at a decent standard. It's about getting a player at the right level for what we need at the time. Fingers crossed the signing comes good as we damn well need him to be.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

If I remember rightly Davis didn't play Westbrooke much, he played at Wrexham & did well from memory. Hard to judge anyone from that spell because we were in disarray.
Although JE dispatched him back to Brentford pretty quickly
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

eagwgw wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46 pm I got a feeling if we have a repeat of Plymouth or Macclesfield against Mansfield our hand might be forced.

For sure Mansfield will know how to set up against us, it all looks a bit too easy at the moment. Stick a man on Brophy and kick him about a bit, and then what? Not as if we are going to be breaking down the wings or centre of the pitch with any pace or trickery.... let us have the ball in deep positions and eventually we will hoof it long or cross from deep positions.

Anthony Grant sounds like he's done something pretty bad and personality-wise sounds a bit different to what we have but is the type we need, whatever formation it is going forward. He might be a risk because of his wages, but with time running out in the transfer window we might have to gamble.
No need to gamble, Daniel Gold has it sorted 😂

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler/v ... 9&yt0=Show
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

There have been a few enquirers about Grant, clubs in L1 and L2, It appears that Scunthorpe and ourselves are the two clubs that have been most persistent. He would be the battling midfielder we have been crying out for but he is always walking a disciplinary tightrope and that has spilled over into some sort of serious misdemeanor at Shrewsbury who have been trying to offload him since the close season.

If it is Grant signing this week can an inexperienced manager like Embleton get the best out of him?

Definitely a gamble if we sign him.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

15 yellow cards in 48 appearances at Shrewsbury!
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

redintheface wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:23 pm 15 yellow cards in 48 appearances at Shrewsbury!
Not someone we should be looking at.
Had internal discipline problems at two previous clubs was noted to slow the game down (Not what we need) and at the wrong age.
I think we should be looking at someone younger who will have some resale value rather than a bloke who constantly getting suspended for mistimed tackles, something that he is not going to get any better at 32.
Surely there are players in the non league who are hungry and can do a job.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Byways1 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:38 pm
redintheface wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:23 pm 15 yellow cards in 48 appearances at Shrewsbury!
Had internal discipline problems at two previous clubs was noted to slow the game down (Not what we need) and at the wrong age.
Blimey, if he slows down the tempo at which our team currently plays we will come to a complete standstill :(
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

redintheface wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:47 pm
Byways1 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:38 pm
Blimey, if he slows down the tempo at which our team currently plays we will come to a complete standstill :(
Exactly.
If will sign this fella I would ask some serious questions of the scouting team.
There are players around who will be a lot better bet and there will a few of them in the National league who will have the ability and will be hungry to do a job, with an added bonus of having a resale value.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Has to be the type of midfielder we all know we need - and has to be going straight into the first team.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

I'd like to know how a 'ball winner' would have helped us to win the game yesterday.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Red_Army wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:01 pm I'd like to know how a 'ball winner' would have helped us to win the game yesterday.
Exactly.
We’ve had plenty of the ball and done nothing with it.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

If we have a proper ball winner, we can go back to 4-4-2 and get some width and creativity into the side.

As it stands, the only creativity comes from the man playing behind the front 2.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:21 pm If we have a proper ball winner, we can go back to 4-4-2 and get some width and creativity into the side.

As it stands, the only creativity comes from the man playing behind the front 2.
I agree, but not this bloke.
I think the risk outweighs the reward.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:21 pm If we have a proper ball winner, we can go back to 4-4-2 and get some width and creativity into the side.

The way Stevenage set up and played yesterday we could have done that anyway. Winning the ball was bot the issue. We had over 70% of it.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Red_Army wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:37 pm

The way Stevenage set up and played yesterday we could have done that anyway. Winning the ball was bot the issue. We had over 70% of it.
So it’s a managerial problem then.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Byways1 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:42 pm
Red_Army wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:37 pm

So it’s a managerial problem then.
Not neccesarily. For whatever reason we're not converting our possession into chances or goals. There's a number of reasons for that- shape might be one, good defending another, maybe some bad luck or poor finishing- but a 'ball winning' player was not wyat we lacked yesterday.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

We’re playing narrow because of our fragility in the centre of midfield. Solve that and we can go back to having some width. This isn’t complex stuff.
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Will he come already injured?
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:54 pm We’re playing narrow because of our fragility in the centre of midfield. Solve that and we can go back to having some width. This isn’t complex stuff.
We're currently playing with two central midfielders. Kf we went to 442 we would be playing with two central midfielders.

Anyway, my point still stands. A 'ball winner' wouldn't have helped us to score yesterday as there wasn'tmuch ball to be won. Clay and Wright could have played in a 442.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

MrB wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:56 pm Will he come already injured?
I think that's part of the ongoing negotiations.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

banqo wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:34 pm
MrB wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:56 pm Will he come already injured?
I think that's part of the ongoing negotiations.
Hilarious !
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Posh midfielder Alex Woodyard is on the lookout for a new club. He trained with us in 2015, but Ian Hendon was more keen on Jack Payne ( :( ).